Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 10 Jan 19, 12:17 AM  
Link to this Post
MinnieEars22
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

Mobile Total Newbie

Hi everyone

Complete newbie here who just decided she would like to go to California 😁

Slightly Disney nuts couple with 7 yo, have been to florida and Paris, always staying on site (with dining plan in WDW) .

So, where do I start with California?

Flights to LAX?
7 nights in DISNEY? Onsite/Off site?
7 nights somewhere else to do Universal, see Hollywood sign, walk of fame? Am I missing anything?

Just to add that we don't drive and have to go during school holidays in Ireland.

Thanks for any guidance you can give me.

TIA x
MinnieEars22 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 19, 05:11 AM  
Link to this Post
martyn321
Very Serious Dibber

knotts berry farm could be worth a lookin whilst your there
martyn321 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 19, 08:29 AM  
Link to this Post
mrsbenny
Imagineer

Mobile

I’m also a newbie who won’t drive. We are wanting to do very similar to you. It’s my 40th next year. We are going to do about 5 nights Disney and 3 near to universal so we have 2 days in universal and go and see the Hollywood walk of fame etc. We may even have a stop off at New York for a few nights before flying to LAX.
mrsbenny is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 19, 10:26 AM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Disney there can be done in 2 days, 3 if you want to do rides more than once. Some do 5 days at most if they want to do partial days. As for hotels, there are plenty of good neighbour hotels within walking distance for a fraction of the price of the onsite ones.

Universal can be done in a day.

I would do New York on the way back, not on the way to the west coast. It starts to break down the jet lag process for people who suffer from it.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 19, 10:40 AM  
Link to this Post
mrsbenny
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
Disney there can be done in 2 days, 3 if you want to do rides more than once. Some do 5 days at most if they want to do partial days. As for hotels, there are plenty of good neighbour hotels within walking distance for a fraction of the price of the onsite ones.

Universal can be done in a day.

I would do New York on the way back, not on the way to the west coast. It starts to break down the jet lag process for people who suffer from it.
Good tip about New York thanks. I will have to price up and see if there is much price difference.
mrsbenny is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 19, 12:07 PM  
Link to this Post
red cuillen
Excited about Disney

We had a 5 night stay in Anaheim, which means you can usually get offers, free nights or extra day in the parks. Only had 3 full days though and 2 part days. Much as we like doing the same rides over and over (Radiator Springs Racers especially) 5 days was more than enough, even including a Walk in Walts tour. With a 7 yo KnottsBerry farm will be great for one day, but that's about it for Anaheim. Base yourself in Burbank for other sights, Universal, Hollywood etc, uber or lyft works well for these short trips. You could spend the day in Griffiths Park, see the observatory, see the carousel that Walt took his children to, and inspired his design for Disneyland. Warner Bros has a min age of 8 so that's out I'm afriad. I wouldn't get your hopes up for the walk of fame, nice to see, nice to view the sign, see the dolby theatre, but abit shabby. Our trip report has sections for disney, and Griffiths Park, there are also trip reports by people just using public transport that are worth a read.
red cuillen is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 19, 06:05 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi would be inclined to say do 4/5 days LA , 4 days San Fran 4 days vegas . To go to west coast and just stay in LA which is a sprawling 100 miles across seems a bit of a waist. Do you not drive or don't want to ?
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 19, 12:38 AM  
Link to this Post
MissJRabbit
Excited about Disney

I've only been once - so no expert.

We are Disney nuts too - usually do 4 nights at DLP and spent all of our 2 weeks in Florida at Disney. We had 5 days plus the halloween party at Disneyland and I wish I could've had longer. My mum went a few weeks later (not really as obsessed with Disney) and was happy with a day at each park.

I always stay onsite at both as its part of the bubble. I don't think its necessary to stay onsite at Disneyland California. If you have the money to easily spend $400 a night on a hotel then maybe it is worth it, but tbh its actually further than some good neighbour hotels and you barely spend any time in the room. We did 5 nights off site and one night at the Disneyland Hotel - wouldn't bother again as beautiful as it was.

Universal is a day trip. Hollywood/Walk of Fame is horrible - run down and gross and I wouldn't go back. But you kind of have to go but I wouldn't spend more than 1 hour there. Not sure what else there is in LA tbh.

Would San Diego be an option? There are beautiful beaches, the zoo, Legoland and much more. We preferred it to LA, plus there is a train down there or you could Uber/Lyft.
MissJRabbit is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List