Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 15 Jan 19, 01:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
"We were a bit busy and we forgot, can you give us another chance please?" which, being brutal, is what is being claimed as mitigation here will not be accepted and neither should it. If this was a get-out, a lot of people would do it.

It's just bad luck, unfortunately, and you just have to suck it up and find a way to manage household admin tasks that won't allow it to happen again.

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 19, 01:29 PM  
Link to this Post
dizzymcfarlane
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

surprised vehicle wasn’t seized ...
dizzymcfarlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 19, 01:43 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by bonnies mum View Post
This is the big problem with everything being online - no paperwork lying to be attended to and to remind you to deal with it.
Last year I got no reminder for my home insurance but thankfully I remebered it was due at our usual holiday time.
That all depends on how you set up your account online. The manage your account section normally asks if you want paper copies etc. I always choose this ( they can print the documents, not me ). Then you get sent reminders by mail.

I also set up reminders on my PCs Calander when I buy a policy..

Without that I found the same as others that I was on the point of forgetting renewals.

Mail and paperwork... old fashioned...but it works for us
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 19, 02:58 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Leggibone View Post
I’m sure each year I have renewed mine the notice has said it will auto renew to the car it was originally paid for with, so I’m surprised they didn’t auto renew it. (I pay mine yearly normally too)
Correct, auto-renewal is the law now and policies must be set up this way (whether paid annually or monthly) unless specifically requested by the policyholder to not be done.

It makes no difference if the card expires, it will still be charged to the replacing one. One of the few things that this can be done for.

Obviously there are other ways in which this could fail, such as a card being cancelled and no replacement issued. But for the majority it should catch forgetfulness.

To the OP, I would be finding the renewal notification (be it email or post) and checking for that auto renewal. If it was a failure on their part, you may be able to get them to back date a policy to that date. It can and does get done for circumstances which were their fault.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 19, 04:19 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

I see people at Court all the time for having no insurance, and their explanations never make any difference to the penalty. It’s one which is treated seriously and always proceeded with, no warnings/wrist slaps, and fines around £5-600 are usual but may be different in UK. Just take the points, pay the fine and make sure your paperwork is in order going forward.
Old 15 Jan 19, 04:56 PM  
Link to this Post
ziggyzag
Imagineer

To be honest it may be mitigating circumstances if it was a few days but not 3 months.
ziggyzag is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 19, 05:17 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ziggyzag View Post
To be honest it may be mitigating circumstances if it was a few days but not 3 months.
Even a few days after it expired would still in 99.99% cases not get you off unless there were exceptional mitigating circumstances.

It's believed around a million people in the UK drive without a vaild car insurance policy and I'm sure most have a reason/excuse for not having having any.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 19, 07:06 PM  
Link to this Post
shack69
Imagineer

For all those now worrying if their car is issued , this link takes you to a database of all insurers and tells you if its insured. Its also good to have it on your phone if you have an accident check it before letting the other party leave and if they don't have insurance you can call the police
ownvehicle.askmid/

also check MOT and TAX
vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/ViewVehicle
shack69 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 19, 08:58 PM  
Link to this Post
jemima2
Imagineer

Mobile

Unfortunately my hubby caught out too, a payment was 2 days late ( not sure exactly why). Hubby read his rights and car impounded there and then, hubby and son left at side of the road. £ 100 to get car back, place shut at 12 the next day which they didnt tell us on the phone, we arrived at 12.10 and they were there but wouldn't give us the car. Kept it until Monday ( tried to charge us for 3 days at which point I lost it!). Court date for hubby which was very serious and scary, nearly lost his license. Fine of £250 and 6 points. Our payment was two days late. Everyone who dealt with the case thereafter said it had been very harsh. First time it had been late. Lesson learnt.
jemima2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 19, 12:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Powlay
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 4
Originally Posted by jemima2 View Post
Unfortunately my hubby caught out too, a payment was 2 days late ( not sure exactly why). Hubby read his rights and car impounded there and then, hubby and son left at side of the road. £ 100 to get car back, place shut at 12 the next day which they didnt tell us on the phone, we arrived at 12.10 and they were there but wouldn't give us the car. Kept it until Monday ( tried to charge us for 3 days at which point I lost it!). Court date for hubby which was very serious and scary, nearly lost his license. Fine of £250 and 6 points. Our payment was two days late. Everyone who dealt with the case thereafter said it had been very harsh. First time it had been late. Lesson learnt.
When people dealing with it were saying it was harsh they may just have been pandering to you rather than being truthful.

Its not harsh at all.

If you're driving without insurance then you're a risk to yourself and every other road user.

Them closing at 12 noon and not telling you, yeah thats harsh!

How come you went to court? Did you not accept the fixed penalty?