Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 2 May 17, 09:32 AM  
Link to this Post
ansi41
VIP Dibber

Bulgaria

Hi there guys, has anyone been to Bulgaria for a Summer holiday? DH is wanting to go to Florida but we just don't have the funds yet and as we have left it too late, flight prices are just too expensive We have seen a few 4 star hotels in Bulgaria, mainly around Sunny Beach area which look ok and the beaches look lovely.
We are thinking of half board but is it expensive to eat out there?
Any information will be greatly received.
Thanks everyone x
ansi41 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 May 17, 10:38 AM  
Link to this Post
brown4034
Excited about Disney

Hi I went last year with some friends the prices are about the same as here really food wise. Drinks are cheaper out there though. Beaches are really nice 👍🏻 And it gets HOT 😅 The main sunny beach front is a party heaven if you like that sort of thing. We did a day at a really nice hotel 😬I can't remember the name but you can pay to use their pool and all you can eat restaurant now that was the best food I had all holiday.
Old 2 May 17, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post
ansi41
VIP Dibber

Thanks for your reply. It sounds quite positive then which is good. I have priced up Majorca too and for the price of a 3 star hotel in Majorca I can get a 5 star in Bulgaria! Hmmm just got to work on hubby as he still wants Florida
ansi41 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 May 17, 04:56 PM  
Link to this Post
ansi41
VIP Dibber

Just to let anybody know reading this thread, since this morning we have booked our holiday... to the Costa Brava in Spain
Not much different but we saw a good deal (or what we think is a good deal) with Thomsons. They have money off most of their holidays but they have a code for an extra £40 off per person to a few places, plus we got £70 from TOPCASHBACK.
So I can finally stop looking, it's been driving DH mad

Edited at 06:11 PM.
Old 3 May 17, 07:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Alien
Imagineer

I am native Bulgarian and I am glad you didn't book Sunny Beach. It's very overbuild and not place I will take my family on holiday
Alien is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 17, 09:33 AM  
Link to this Post
ansi41
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Alien View Post
I am native Bulgarian and I am glad you didn't book Sunny Beach. It's very overbuild and not place I will take my family on holiday
Oh dear, well thanks for that. Things work out for the best in the end. We are off to Tossa de Mar instead and from what I have heard it is lovely there so I am really looking forward to it.
Old 3 May 17, 01:46 PM  
Link to this Post
janey2000
Excited about Disney

My mum lives has emigrated to Bulgaria so I spend every summer there with my daughter. Not been to the touristy beach areas though. It is very very cheap (exchange rate post brexit may have changed that slightly). Example, I paid for a meal in the poshest restaurant in Veliko Tărnovo for 3 adults and 2 kids, mains, side dishes and drinks and it was £30. I'm not sure how the sunny beach prices compare. Look online and then work out if the half board offers better value for money. Or how about renting a villa with pool? There's lots of things to see in bulgaria and lots of history.

Opps, just seen you've already booked Spain

Pre trip report - Aug 2014 Florida and Georgia
http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=794593

Edited at 01:49 PM.
janey2000 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 17, 04:34 PM  
Link to this Post
ansi41
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by janey2000 View Post
My mum lives has emigrated to Bulgaria so I spend every summer there with my daughter. Not been to the touristy beach areas though. It is very very cheap (exchange rate post brexit may have changed that slightly). Example, I paid for a meal in the poshest restaurant in Veliko Tărnovo for 3 adults and 2 kids, mains, side dishes and drinks and it was £30. I'm not sure how the sunny beach prices compare. Look online and then work out if the half board offers better value for money. Or how about renting a villa with pool? There's lots of things to see in bulgaria and lots of history.

Opps, just seen you've already booked Spain
Thanks for your reply. I did think that it maybe cheap to eat in Bulgaria but we will have to find out another time. I actually didn't check villas out there so that would be interesting to check some prices. I think we get a bit spoilt in Florida with the price and choice of villas. It's always nice to have options for next year even though DH really wants to go to Florida next year. We will see
Old 3 Jul 18, 01:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Myakka17
VIP Dibber

Personally I would never go! My mither in law was deported as she was going through because she didn't have a visa even though told she didn't require one. ( Irish by birth on Uk passport) At the time she was 65, asked for the toilet which they refused, asked to sit down, which they refused even though she is disabled. She was put on the next plane out which wasn't to anywhere near us nor where she had flown from, they wouldn't even allow my sister in law to pass her her house keys. When we eventually got her home we had to call out locksmith so we could get in.
They refused to let my SiL join her so they continued with their holiday but said it was awful with men sitting round the pool wearing suits with guns in the table and similar happened to a couple of restaurants too.
For these reasons they'll never have my money.
At the time they did this it made national press news as it was happening to so many, all elderly and all sent back to nowhere near where they lived.