Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 10 Jul 17, 06:56 PM  
Link to this Post
cintabelle
Imagineer

Mobile Convertible Mustang?

So it's looks like we are doing it...

We are not booking car hire for this years trip... For the first time EVER!

However I am not prepared to sacrifice our day at Anna Maria, so we are hiring a car for just two days whilst out there.

This trip is for our 10th Wedding Anniversary and on all our previous trips Hubby has been desperate to hire a Mustang! However his sensible wife always got her way and we hired a more sensible (cheaper) car.

As this is a special trip and it's for only 2 days, I would like Hubby to hire his dream car.

When I am looking at car hire, they say Mustang or similar? !

Does anyone know of any car hire forms where I could be quaranteed to hire a convertible Mustang? X
2014 - Beauty & the Beast take the Chips & Co on a Mickey Adventure
2015 - Beauty & The Beasts Fairy Tale Farewell
2017 - Coming Soon

cintabelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jul 17, 09:41 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

I think with the Hertz adrenaline collection you can guarantee what you hire, but they're expensive.

One thing to mention about a convertible. It is so easy to get exceptionally burnt. I have a Mercedes SLC and had the roof down the other week, it was about 23c, I was in the car maybe 45-60 mins in total, and I was inside the rest of the day (DIY ) - I was very, very burnt... blisters, peeling skin, the lot. So sore. Now, unless I'm doing a short trip, I keep the roof up if its hot. My car is great here as we get very few hot days, though lots of warm days, but I'd never hire one on holiday.

Obviously, you may be well versed in driving a convertible, in which case ignore me
Old 11 Jul 17, 07:40 AM  
Link to this Post
mike4scuba
VIP Dibber

mike4scuba's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We hired a mustang convertible to drive down to the keys from Miami and then back to Orlando
The heat from the sun is intense and real easy to burn
We ended up driving with the roof up as the noise is unbearable over 40mph. Couldn't hear the radio or have a conversation
Also the mustang we had was so underpowered not the 5.0L I was expecting
We got overtaken by an asthmatic slug carrying heavy shopping home

Edited at 08:16 AM.
mike4scuba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 17, 07:51 AM  
Link to this Post
cintabelle
Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks for your comments - I totally agree with a convertible in Orlando not being the best idea.

It's just one of Hubby's 'Boxes' that he would like to tick in life. He had visions of us cruising Anna Maria with the roof down!

The asthmatic slug comment literally had tears streaming down my face from laughing!

The price might put Hubby off... put for the last 10 years he has been after hiring a Mustang... as this is our last Florida trip for a while, I am happy to look at the option for him.

We will be the Lobster Red couple driving to Anna Maria at the pace of an Asthmatic slug! 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

The worse thing that can happen is I will proven right for the last 9 years... wives are always right! 😂😂😂😂😂

But thanks again for your comments and they may give Hubby some good for thought! X
2014 - Beauty & the Beast take the Chips & Co on a Mickey Adventure
2015 - Beauty & The Beasts Fairy Tale Farewell
2017 - Coming Soon

cintabelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 17, 08:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
OP. As I spend a lot of time in the Alamo garage I tend to spot the Mustangs each time we are there as they are right by the Luxury row I collect from.

The choice is always Mustang or Camaro so you should get one or the other. However they are regularly the hardtop versions as they are more appropriate for the State of Florida and less prone to damage from the elements. Thus less depreciation come resale time.

Basically what I am alluding to is you should get a Mustang but you may not, plus even if it's the right make it may be a hardtop.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 17, 08:05 AM  
Link to this Post
tracynoe
Excited about Disney

just to put the flip side.

I have always argued against my husband hiring a convertible, mainly for the fact I love nothing better than the air conditioning when you get back in the car. For the last two trips to the west coast I gave in and I'm so glad I did.

Yes, you do have to be careful of burning. Make sure you use lots of cream. I also used a light scarf to cover my chest neck and shoulders.

Enjoy it, looking at the views uninterrupted rather through windows.

The second time, we had a camero rather than a mustang, better apparently.

You do need to be careful of the amount of luggage you take.
tracynoe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 17, 09:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Willip
Trying for More Ears

You've a much better chance of getting one if you can rent from the airport where they'll have a selection of cars to choose from. If you pick up from a local office, there will likely be no choice.
Willip is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 17, 08:15 PM  
Link to this Post
kissimmee girl
Imagineer

My hubby got his wish this year , we hired a mustang with Expedia for two weeks. It really wasn't that expensive. He loved it, you do have to make sure you have sun screen on and tie your hair back lol. It took ages to get the knots out of my hair haha

Edited at 08:16 PM.
kissimmee girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jul 17, 11:26 AM  
Link to this Post
IndianaMac
Imagineer

We had a Camaro on our last trip (there were more Mustangs, but the Chevy is my pony car of choice) - spent most of the time with the hood up and air-con on in the day, ditto with "motorway" runs - for the heat and noise.
Early morning/evening runs were top-down.
Still loved it though, so my advice, go for it.
IndianaMac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jul 17, 03:52 PM  
Link to this Post

you could always go for something really mouthwatering (well to any petrolhead anyway lol) and rent the jaguar f type from sixt ,I'm sorely tempted to try for a few days and although its not cheap (£106 per day all included ) id defo go for before a mustang
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List