Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 9 Apr 19, 01:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Fiona35
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile Traveling with Insulin

Apologies if this is in the wrong place, but I wondered if you could take cold gel packs through security to keep Insulin cool throughout the flight? Or do people use something else?
Thanks
Fiona35 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Apr 19, 02:35 PM  
Link to this Post
ely3857
Imagineer

Mobile

Insulin is fine at room temp for 28days. We take my husbands and daughters in our hand luggage but with no additional wrapping such as the frio pouch. We just start the 28days from the day we take the vials out of the fridge.

In the parks my DH insulin pen is fine in his back pack. It’s black on the outside and orange on the inside, it’s a working back pack rather than a fashion one (if that makes sense) and the inside never overheats. My DD has an insulin pump and fine in the temps as it’s held close to her body and not in direct sunlight.
Old 9 Apr 19, 03:17 PM  
Link to this Post
dogken
Imagineer

The wife uses this, and for taking to the parks.amazon/Frio-Insuli...gateway&sr=8-5
Old 9 Apr 19, 04:46 PM  
Link to this Post
BabyM
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

I use the frio pouches to carry mine. I have one that holds 4 pens and use that for my spares then have one that holds 2 pens which I use in the parks.
Old 9 Apr 19, 08:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

We just put our insulin in the frillo pouches once we arrived. It’s pretty cold on the flight anyway.
The lantus is already in pens and at the airport we had to take all the insulin out of their boxes and place them in a clear bag. We will know for next time but we assumed they had to stay in their prescribed boxes etc
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Apr 19, 08:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Fiona35
Apprentice Imagineer

Thanks everyone, will look into getting one of these Frio pouches😀
Fiona35 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Apr 19, 08:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Mary A
Imagineer

Mary A's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
DH uses the frio pouches. Only security that has been unsure of them was salt lake city airport, but they eventually let him through with them. It wasn't the insulin but the gel in the pouch that was causing them concern.

DH has never had to take insulin out of boxes.

First visit 1989, last visit March 19. Next holiday Washington, Key West & Orlando May 20. Planning Hawaii for March 21
Mary A is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Apr 19, 09:14 PM  
Link to this Post
scooby99
Imagineer

Travelled for 40+ years as a child & adult with insulin, needles, syringes, bottles, strips, pens etc on domestic, European & US flights (300-400 flights?); never used Frio pouches & all ok.
Never made it known that I’m carrying the above nor removed them from my bag at security or X-Ray etc & have yet to have any of it queried or noticed.

Edited at 09:15 PM.
scooby99 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Apr 19, 10:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Merryweather
Imagineer

the conflicting information on this issue is unbelievable! I've been advised by both Diabetes UK and Virgin that I must have a letter from my Doctor to take my insulin and needles on board and also not, under any circumstances, to put the insulin in my hold luggage (something I would never do anyway) as it can freeze! I've also been told to take more than I would actually need (x2) but I'm going for 21 days and if I can't keep the insulin cold it is wasted! The other advise I got from my medical team was to take it in a cool bag with a gel pack - according to the above this is not acceptable!
Old 9 Apr 19, 10:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Ciano
Imagineer

Ciano's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

This is something I need to look at. I need to bring 12 injections that are normally kept in the fridge! Need to do some homework!