Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 12 Dec 19, 05:43 PM  
Link to this Post
BirdsluvDisney
Apprentice Imagineer

AK with DDP v POFQ with QSDP

Hi, We are booked to go to POFQ with the free QSDP, We have stayed at POFQ before and love the resort it has been our fav so far ( we have never done a deluxe )
We have always upgraded to the full DDP so this is our first time doing QSDP.
Yesterday my husband said about looking at AK as a work friend has just come back and loved it.

Looking AK does look lovely but does seem out of the way, We will be using Disney transport.
What are peoples thoughts, Stick with POFQ/QSDP or upgrade to AK/DDP

I was happy with what we had booked now he has given me this option im in a spin and unsure what to do.
Old 12 Dec 19, 06:10 PM  
Link to this Post
returnplanning
Imagineer

I did one night at POR, so not FQ, but I love AKL. I love the understated vibe, being able to watch animals, and for me being a little out of the way and quiet is good.

However, I would say that if you are intending to be out of your rooms from dawn until dusk, you won't perhaps get quite as much out of AKL, as most of its appeal is the atmosphere, so a leisurely breakfast watching giraffes etc rather than grabbing a pastry on the way out to hit rope drop and not coming back until EMH is done.
Old 12 Dec 19, 06:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Willeve
Imagineer

Personally I think the busses from AKL are excellent, plentiful and speedy. Do not be put off by the location.
Willeve is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Dec 19, 08:16 PM  
Link to this Post
scoobydooby
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I’ve stayed at both and like both. AKL is my favourite resort and I was happy with the transport. It takes a bit longer to some parks but nothing that was an issue. The only trap part issue we had was to and from Disney Springs which. Was loooong but that was when they were still doing all the work. I’d Uber that though if it was still so long a journey. I would say I wouldn’t pay for a savannah view unless money is no object as we are not in the room enough and there are lots of lovely animal viewing areas. Now Disney have upped their game with QS I think I could enjoy that plan but as it is we are at POFQ next trip with upgraded dining plan as DH loves the restaurants. Either of your choices is good. But I do love AKL!
Old 13 Dec 19, 11:41 AM  
Link to this Post

I have never stayed at AKL but I have visited a few times and love it, I really need to get it booked one day! I have visited POFQ too and think it looks nice and it has a great QS restaurant.

But I think I would always choose a deluxe over a moderate and I would prefer DDP to QSDP, i have liked QS in some moderate resorts, but I think it is appalling in the parks, not the food, but the experience of trying to find a clean table to sit at.

We most recently visited AKL in September when we went to Boma for breakfast. We then wanted to go to Magic Kingdom and the transport was awful, bus absolutely jam packed at about 11am, it is the only thing that is making me hesitate to stay there, I would find it very draining if I had to do it every day.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Dec 19, 05:57 PM  
Link to this Post
BirdsluvDisney
Apprentice Imagineer

Thank you for all your advice, I think for now I have decided to stick with our booking and maybe think about AKL next time we visit.
Old 13 Dec 19, 07:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

AKL doesn't do much for me (stayed three times because of rate). The animals are nice but if you are there a crowded time of year, they are not easily used. I always have a rental and found parking awful (couldn't easily find a place in the lots). I also found it one of the noisier resorts.

While POFQ is my least favorite moderate, I prefer most moderates to deluxes. I like the idea of being outside in the Florida warmth when I've just come from the frigid northeast. I think my experience at FOFQ was tainted by a screaming toddler in the next room.

To me, cost is the decision maker as well as availability of discounted rooms.
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Dec 19, 10:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Krushy
Gone all Goofy

Hi our favourite moderate is also POFQ and AKL is our resort of choice when we have a few quid "spare".
For our 2020 Disney fix we elected to stay at AKL, as the free dining deal meant that there was hardly any difference in the cost when the required Dining Plan upgrade was added to the POFQ to make it the full plan.
We have never experienced any issues with buses from AKL that are specific to that resort. Each resort has pros and cons for transport as obviously each location varies.

We have not used the Uber type services before, however they are a great fall back I suspect, if you are just too tired to wait for the Disney transport or you have a specific time slot to hit (eg for dinner).

Either of your choices will be fab (at least from our point of view!)
Krushy is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Dec 19, 02:15 PM  
Link to this Post
elliecjno1
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

We stayed at POFQ last year (first time on site) & upgraded to DDP, but visited Boma at AKL & loved it. So we had the same dilemma as you for next year seeing as there wasn't much difference between the price after upgrading to DDP.

We've stuck with POFQ & upgraded again. As much as we loved AKL we loved how close everything was at POFQ, nice & quiet, good QS restaurant & the huge draw for us was the boat to DS! We loved AKL atmosphere & I love animals but figured I'd want a savannah view which would bump the cost, we'd have no boat to DS which would mean driving & also we're out most days so the views would be wasted on us. We figured that personally, we can get what we like about AKL from a visit when we go for our ADR's.
April '18 - WDW - POFQ & Emerald Island Villa

MAY '20 - WDW - POFQ & AMI CANCELLED BY COVID
elliecjno1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 19, 01:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Dunc
Very Serious Dibber

I'm a big fan of FQ, and stayed in April. I was on the QSDP, but upgraded to full DDP. I'm glad I did, because I found the food court at FQ hectic and very messy - which I've never experienced before. Due to paying for the upgrade, we were able to avoid it to an extent. In retrospect, I'd have stayed at AK, and paid to upgrade to DDP. It pains me to say this, as FQ used to be my favourite. Next year, we're going to the Dolphin. Food is more, but hotel is a luxury for the price of a mod.
Dunc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List