Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 15 Sep 20, 11:07 AM  
Link to this Post
dac123
Getting Excited

Is it legal to use a US booking site for United Airlines

I have 8 travel electronic travel certificated priced in US dollars which has a sterling equivalent. Because of the shift in exchange rate if I book the 8 flights to Orlando on the UK site I would have extra to pay, which I would rather not do. When I go online onto united.com it defaults to the US dollar priced web site. On this site the travel certificates more than cover the cost with about $260 left over for future use, a total swing of about $400 between the 2 sites. I was told that if I try to use a UK credit card the US system will reject it because of the address. In this case I would have nothing to pay as the travel certificates would cover the cost and I should not need to enter the CC in payment details. The question is if the system accepts the booking would I be doing anything illegal.

Edited at 11:10 AM.
dac123 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 20, 11:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
I've booked flights on US sites before and never had an issue.

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 20, 11:16 AM  
Link to this Post
dac123
Getting Excited

Apparently some of the Airlines have software that will push you back to the UK site when you enter the card address. I know they do it for commercial reasons, as I said its a question of legality. I tried booking flights to New Zealand using a VPN and getting someone who lived there to book them as the round trip was a lot less, if starting in NZ. The booking system auto changes to the booking site of the departure airport to stop us getting the lower price.
dac123 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 20, 11:43 AM  
Link to this Post
carolmc
Imagineer

I've booked many many times with Delta through their US site and never had any problem whatsoever.
Old 15 Sep 20, 12:11 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by dac123 View Post
Apparently some of the Airlines have software that will push you back to the UK site when you enter the card address. I know they do it for commercial reasons, as I said its a question of legality. I tried booking flights to New Zealand using a VPN and getting someone who lived there to book them as the round trip was a lot less, if starting in NZ. The booking system auto changes to the booking site of the departure airport to stop us getting the lower price.
I had this with Delta when booking reward seats .
I just called Delta on the US number and booked.
I’ve also booked with Orbitz.com to get a better dollar fare too with various US carriers, they have no issue with my U.K. card , whereas the Expedia.com site does.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 20, 12:19 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

The only potential illegality is the airlines trying to stop you- and whether that breaches international competition laws etc.
Europe clamped down on such practises internally but that was more to do with the common market.
Old 15 Sep 20, 12:22 PM  
Link to this Post
GrumpyDopey&Me
Imagineer

GrumpyDopey&Me's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

I think once you enter your details address etc you will get pushed out to the uk site
GrumpyDopey&Me is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 20, 02:27 PM  
Link to this Post
dac123
Getting Excited

For normal booking you just enter an e-mail address, its when you enter your credit card billing address it will transfer you to the UK site. In my case I won't be doing that as the electronic vouchers cover the price. if I need to enter a payment method regardless, then I will use PayPal details to avoid the billing address problem. It looks like it will work that's why I asked am I doing anything illegal or is it against their terms and conditions. I can't find anything that says it is, or am I missing a potential problem later.
Old 15 Sep 20, 02:40 PM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

Make sure that you're covered re:insurance when using paypal to pay for your tickets. Using your credit card (if applicable) may give you better coverage

there is nothing preventing you from purchasing on a foreign website.

Some irlines, though, will redirect you to their site pretaining to the origin airport (for example, if you booked a flight from Germany to the US, on the UK website, it would send you to the German site and bill you in Euros) but not all airlines/site do that.
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 20, 05:06 PM  
Link to this Post
chelynnah
VIP Dibber

chelynnah's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4
If you pay with PayPal then you are not covered by section 75 or chargeback because your contract is with PayPal, not the flight provider

Also any travel insurance from your card is unlikely to be covered because you didn’t pay for the trip with your card.

I would be very careful about using PayPal for that. I usually don’t use it for anything I might need insured by the card, and definitely not for large purchases
WDW several trips as a child; WDW 1993 on working vacation; DLP Sept 2003 - Newport Bay Hotel; WDW January 2007 - offsite HGVC Tuscany Suites; DLP Sept 2008 - DLH; WDW/US/BG January 2013 - offsite HGVC Tuscany Suites; WDW/US and MVMCP Nov 2015 - offsite townhouse; DLP Sept 2016 - Hotel B&B; WDW Feb 2017 - POFQ; DLP June 2017 - SL GF; DLP Sept 2017 - NPB CC; DLP Nov 2018 - SL; WDW Feb 2019 - WDW Princess Half POFQ; DLP Sept 2019 - SL & DLH;

Edited at 05:08 PM.
chelynnah is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List