Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 27 Sep 20, 08:27 AM  
Link to this Post
MK_club1987
Apprentice Imagineer

Where do I move forward from here, and what options do I have?

Sorry for the vague title, I didn't really know the best way to word it.

Cut a long story short over the last month me and DW have split up for good this time, I personally wanted it to be friendly despite what happened for the sake of DS who's 5, but she's taken completely the other stance and is doing everything possible to make it awkward.

Here's where the issue is, we don't own a house and have only rented, but were still living together, she doesn't work (since we had DS), and I have paid all rent/bills since DS was born, she won't move back into her parents as her dad is on the vulnerable list, which I do completely understand, but we cannot go on living together, she's got the bed and I'm sleeping on the sofa which is so uncomfortable, my back is hurting and I'm probably sleeping about 3-4 hours each night, I get all the food shop in still, and she just helps herself to food, she goes out almost every evening, and just comes back when she wants. I understand she probably goes out to avoid awkwardness, but it's not fair on DS, he doesn't understand why she's just heading out every evening, and at this time he needs structure asap, which were not going to get living together.

She knows I wouldn't just tell her she has to leave, but I can't go on living like this, it's really getting me down, I'm not sleeping, and quite frankly I don't think it's fair that I'm paying for everything in the house, yet I'm living in the awkward, horrible atmosphere which in the end is not going to be fair on DS.

Her parents are very well off, so I know they would help her get on her feet, until she can get a job, but she refuses to ask. She refuses to talk about the situation and just says there's nothing she can do about it.

I'm at the end of my tether, and I understand I have to tread carefully, but there's got to be some way to move forward, surely she doesn't want to live this way either?!
MK_club1987 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 20, 08:33 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

I think she needs to speak to someone about what benefits she will be entitled too. gov.uk/benefits-calculators
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 20, 08:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Buzz n' Piglet
Imagineer

Mobile

Tell her you are moving out and that your son is going with you as she can't afford to look after him.
Buzz n' Piglet is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 20, 08:47 AM  
Link to this Post
mental4ever
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
I think she needs to speak to someone about what benefits she will be entitled too. gov.uk/benefits-calculators
Definitely a tricky situation.
Don’t forget that you could also use this site to get information to see what she may be entitled to.
If she will not discuss this with you how is your relationship with your in-laws. I’d include them if possible on the basis that you are concerned for the psychological well-being for DS.
Good Luck for your family’s future.
Universal Aug/Sept 2023.
BWV & Universal Feb & May 2024. BWV Jan 2025.
mental4ever is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 20, 08:48 AM  
Link to this Post
danisleigh
Imagineer

danisleigh's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 6
If she isn’t willing to move out then I would suggest to her that you do? Clearly that won’t work as she can’t afford to pay the rent but maybe it will at least push her to discuss the situation.
Apr 98..Quality Inn, Dec 2004...hotel Cheyenne, may 2006...Emerald Island, Mar 2013..Regal Palms / AKL / Rosen Inn / HRH, Oct 14..Cypress Pointe, July 2016 Newport bay club, Aug 2016 magic med cruise, Aug 2017 SSR/Rosen pointe/HRH, Aug 19 Northern Europe Disney magic, Dec 2019...Sequoia Lodge, Xmas 2021 Rosen Plaza/HRH, May 2022 POFQ/HRH, May 2023 Disneyland LA.
danisleigh is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 20, 08:50 AM  
Link to this Post
MarBell
slightly serious Dibber

Hi can you afford to move out and rent somewhere yourself? Then your wife can either find work or claim benefit, Universal Credit would be the benefit. You could pay maintenance for your child, there is an online calculator you can use to determine amount. Once situation has eased a little then use mediation to come to a reasonable arrangement for .
MarBell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 20, 08:50 AM  
Link to this Post
MK_club1987
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by mental4ever View Post
Definitely a tricky situation.
Don’t forget that you could also use this site to get information to see what she may be entitled to.
If she will not discuss this with you how is your relationship with your in-laws. I’d include them if possible on the basis that you are concerned for the psychological well-being for DS.
Good Luck for your family’s future.
Thank you, unfortunately I don't really get on well with her parents, as they are very religious (Jewish) and she married out, so I've never really been accepted.

I think I'm going to have to force a conversation somehow
MK_club1987 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 20, 08:52 AM  
Link to this Post
MK_club1987
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by MarBell View Post
Hi can you afford to move out and rent somewhere yourself? Then your wife can either find work or claim benefit, Universal Credit would be the benefit. You could pay maintenance for your child, there is an online calculator you can use to determine amount. Once situation has eased a little then use mediation to come to a reasonable arrangement for .
Oh I can absolutely rent somewhere by myself as I basically do that now, if I could afford 2 places for a while I would but I move out, I won't be able to pay for her place anymore.

I've already worked out child maintenance, and that's certainly not an issue from my end.

I've tried to say I'm happy to move out if she can maybe ask her parents to help with this place until she gets a job, or she can move out into a cheaper place, but she just refuses to do anything.
Old 27 Sep 20, 08:54 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

She doesn't have to leave the family home, the agreement has been that she's the full time parent.

In your situation I'd move out, then she can move forward with finding out what help she can get towards paying for the home and how much maintenance you'll need to pay.

When my ex husband and I split up, I didn't feel that I'd ever be able to run the house by myself, but with putting it on interest only mortgage for a couple of years and increasing my income, I did. Women are very resourceful

Wild Africa Trek photo report

Edited at 08:57 AM.
PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 20, 09:00 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Has she even told her parents what's happening?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List