Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 3 Nov 20, 05:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney1sttimers
slightly serious Dibber

Career in midwifery/nursing when struggling with Biology

My 17 year old daughter has her heart set on a career in either midwifery or nursing. She is in Leaving Cert (we’re in Ireland) but is struggling with Biology having failed her last 2 tests. She always tries her best but has problems with her memory. These test results have really knocked her confidence and she is wondering if nursing/midwifery might be beyond her capabilities. I’m waiting to speak with her teacher but in the meantime I wonder did any Dibbers struggle with biology at school but manage to successfully get their nursing/midwifery degree?
Disney1sttimers is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 20, 05:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Dinglebert
Imagineer

Dinglebert's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by Disney1sttimers View Post
My 17 year old daughter has her heart set on a career in either midwifery or nursing. She is in Leaving Cert (we’re in Ireland) but is struggling with Biology having failed her last 2 tests. She always tries her best but has problems with her memory. These test results have really knocked her confidence and she is wondering if nursing/midwifery might be beyond her capabilities. I’m waiting to speak with her teacher but in the meantime I wonder did any Dibbers struggle with biology at school but manage to successfully get their nursing/midwifery degree?
Yes. Have my nursing degree but didn't do biology. Didn't really know anatomy either when I started. Learnt on the job. However in my days nurse training was 2 weeks learning at a desk and 13 weeks on the ward per session.
Dinglebert is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 20, 05:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

123's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Disney1sttimers View Post
She will need the equivalent of a GCSE in Biology to do a nursing degree at most universities, but almost none insist on any higher qualification than that.

Given that most of the taught element of the course is Biology related, if your daughter can't get up to GCSE standard she mau struggle with the UNI course
123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 20, 08:20 PM  
Link to this Post
sully301
Imagineer

She could always be a nursing assistant and see how she goes? There are lots of opportunities for apprenticeships at different levels these days
Feb 2003 AKL, April 2003 Villa, June 2003 ASMu Nov 2003 OKW, Dec 2003 CSR & PVR, Aug 2007 Pop Century, Aug 2011 RPR & OKW, Dec 2012 POFQ & BLT. Aug 2015 Disney Magic, Sep 2016 ASsports, Sep 2019 OKW, March 2020, Holiday Inn Celebration. 2021 CSR, Sep 22 Pop Century, BLT & AKL. Feb23 Dockside US. Aug 23 Disney Dream, Jan 24 ASSp Sep 2024 ASSp
sully301 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 20, 08:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Edie ray
Apprentice Imagineer

My brothers step daughter has just started as a nurse cadet, she just finished her GCSEs in the summer

She is in hospital most days and earns money as well, not sure what it leads to though, I believe she wants to be a midwife eventually
Edie ray is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 20, 08:51 PM  
Link to this Post
2waterford
VIP Dibber

My dd barely scope her A Level biology and I was worried she would struggle with her nursing degree but she is qualified with a 2.1 degree now and she said she never really used her school biology once she started her degree.
2waterford is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 20, 09:09 PM  
Link to this Post
florida addict
Imagineer

florida addict's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Didn't get a great grade in biology in my leaving. Granted it was over 30 years ago but did ordinary level.
Have been a very successful nurse for 29 years and never struggled with courses.
Just did my masters last year and have to say while it's a tough career i still love it

Edited to add 2 of my friends daughters are training in UK and both did a pre nursing course here first for a year. I helped them with assignments etc and can honestly say it was the best year for both of them . Really prepared them for their training and they are loving it so highly recommend this

Edited at 09:11 PM.
florida addict is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 20, 09:18 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

I agree that once she's studying A&P she won't find she needs her biology, plus I'm sure the A&P will engage her more. We all have specific systems that we struggle with (for me it's the endocrine system).

I don't know about current entry requirements as I trained in 1990 but my friend's daughter failed her AS levels and went to do pre nursing at college, she qualified this year as an RN and has just flown through her 3 years.

Don't let her be discouraged

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 20, 09:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
My eldest daughter would be first to admit she didn't give her all at school, when she left at 16 she went into a nursery as an apprentice but with time she worked up to being a room manager and senco. Her dream is to be a midwife and this year she took the plunge she is currently doing an access course for midwifery I think it's called that will get her a uni place next year... Well that's the plan, good luck to your daughter
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 20, 10:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Button17
Imagineer

I always struggled with GCSE combined science so after failing a few times I did human Biology GCSE as an evening course. Passed it first attempt. Is there an option simular to this for your daughter.

I struggled through school, dyslexia and working memory issues, but as soon as I was studying my passion I got As and Bs.

All the best to you're daughter xx
Button17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List