Notices
TV and Film This forum is for those DIBB members that want to discuss TV and Films.

Old 12 Jan 17, 08:52 PM  
Link to this Post

The Harry Potter movies..

So, i'm the kinda guy who doesn't like to follow the masses. When everyone was raving about Lord of The Rings, I didn't jump on board for months afterward. The same for Star Wars...I've never watched a full one of those movies yet, and they've been out for years.

The same can be said for Harry Potter. I couldn't understand the hype. I've always refused to read the books and watch the movies as I don't like to follow the crowd, I like to be my own person, do my own thing...

Well... what a numpty move that was! I decided to watch the 1st movie (The Philosopher's Stone) over Christmas, as I am going to Orlando in July and felt it would do me good to get an idea of the World of HP, before visiting Universal... and I LOVED it!

So, the question is...do I carry on with the rest? I recorded them on on my Virgin Tivo box over Christmas. Is it worth sticking all the way through, or shall I just watch a couple more to get clued in to what is likely to be at Universal?

Any thoughts appreciated!

Chris.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 17, 08:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Yes they get so much better but I'd also recommend reading the books , they are amazing
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 17, 09:06 PM  
Link to this Post
papamouse
VIP Dibber

I like movies

mainly sci fi and you find after reading a book, the movies are always disappointing.

That's expected - as it takes you about 8 to 10 hours to read a book - but the same movie last 1.5 hours so they need to skip LOADS (as they believe we the people wont sit thru long movies)

A great example of this is Tom Clancys The Sum of All Fears - the book is one of the best Ive ever read - the film is absolutely meh.

The HP Books and Films are good. There a load of boring filling in some of the books - equally there lots more details to the important stuff - but on the whole the movies for HP are quite good.

Its best watched thru harrys eyes - he starts off knowing nothing about his past and the wizarding world - and ends up ... so if you travel with him - its ace.

A couple of the movies are just to move the story along (prisoner, order) - but every movie adds something new and it really is well written and directed.

Some of the ideas are genius, well done JK.

So glad they made a tv series of a Song of Ice and Fire - as it simply cannot be compressed into a movie.

Just need someone to do the same with Rendezvous with Rama and I'll be a happy man as its an amazing book.

Enjoy mudblood.

2025 "Free Dining" Discounts Calculator Spreadsheet here:
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...php?p=15848077
papamouse is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 17, 09:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Darthmickey
Getting Excited

As you loved the first one so much I wouldn't bother.
Darthmickey is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 17, 09:40 PM  
Link to this Post
stan_the_man
Imagineer

I'm like you, I had only seen snippets of Philosophers Stone on telly in recent years and thought it looked stupid and too 'kiddy' for me. However because we were going to US in 2015 for the first time since they opened HP world, I thought I should watch them all.

Turns out I loved them so much I got all the books and have read them all twice, and recently re-watched all the films last year, and we're off to the Studio tour this year

So I'd say yes, stick with the films. The acting and CGI gets a lot better as the movies go on, and I'm sure you'll find the story really gets you into the movies. There is so much detail and most of it is replicated at US you'll enjoy it a lot more because you can notice and associate it with the films

Allergy-Friendly Food Report 2015
stan_the_man is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 17, 09:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Clamshell
Imagineer

Keep watching - they get better and better 😃

Phantom thread-killer of Old London Town 😁
Clamshell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 17, 10:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Emily90
Excited about Disney

PLEASE read the books!

The films are fun but are not a patch on the books - so much important detail is missing from the films and a lot of laughter too.

Honestly the books are a work of genius - don't miss out by not reading them!
Emily90 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 17, 10:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitchfan626
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Emily90 View Post
PLEASE read the books!

The films are fun but are not a patch on the books - so much important detail is missing from the films and a lot of laughter too.

Couldn't agree more! I'm re-reading them at the moment. J K Rowling is a genius
1995 WDW (offsite) , 1998 DLP (Newport Bay Club), 2001, 2002, 2003 DLP (Hotel Hew York), 2004 WDW (offsite), 2005 DLP (Hotel Hew York), 2007 WDW (Grand Floridian), 2008 DLP (Hotel Hew York), 2011 DLP (Hotel Cheyenne), 2015 DLP (Hotel Hew York), May 2016 DLP (Newport Bay Club), December 2016 DLP (Sequoia Lodge Golden Forest Room), April 2017 WDW (Animal Kingdom Lodge), June 2019 DLP (Hotel Cheyenne), August 2019 DLP (Vienna Dream Castle), December 2019 DLP (Magic Circus)
Stitchfan626 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 17, 10:18 PM  
Link to this Post
clochette
Apprentice Imagineer

PLEASE read the books!

I agree with this! The films are very well done and if you don't want to read the books then stick with the films as they get better and better but they can't compare with the books.
clochette is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 17, 10:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Laura_<3
Imagineer

Laura_<3's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 13

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 249
PLEASE read the books!

Totally agree I like the films but the books are amazing!