Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 12 Feb 18, 10:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Stewboy
Imagineer

Club Africana, Drinks Are Free! - Day 2: Membership's a smiling face

Wednesday 25th October 2017

The Index

We woke up refreshed (thanks to the comfortable beds and lovely cool room - in contrast to the stuffy Premier Inn) and excited today; after yesterday’s travel day we were ready to begin the first day proper of our holiday! We were kicking off in style; taking advantage of the club lounge, exploring the wonderful Animal Kingdom Lodge resort, before heading over to Epcot later to check out the Food & Wine Festival.

After waking up at about 6am we took coffee out onto our balcony to admire the view, and hopefully see some animals too. There was a minor mishap when Isabella didn’t realise that the sliding balcony door was shut, and bumped her nose - the so-clean-it-looks-like-it-isn’t-there door wasn’t quite so clean anymore! We didn’t laugh, honest.

Fortunately she was ok, and we were able to enjoy the view over the Arusha Savanna, one of the three savannas at Jambo House. It turned out to be cold on the balcony, as the sun hadn’t yet properly risen, and also noisy as the CMs were doing some jet washing of the savanna viewing areas.

Our early morning view of the Arusha Savanna

We headed back into the room to get ready for breakfast. Once dressed, hoodies were donned, and we left room 4421 on the ‘Zebra Trail’ (Jambo House has four wings or trails: zebra, kudu, ostrich & giraffe) and headed along to the lifts to take us up to the ‘Kilimanjaro Club’.

Room 4421

The lifts that access the club lounge use a magic band scanner to take club level guests up to the 6th floor; you feel a bit self conscious the first time you operate it in a lift full of people, but you soon get used to it!

Even at this hour the club lounge was busy, but we managed to find a seat, then hit the buffet. There was a good selection of continental breakfast items on offer: cereal, pastries, muffins, bagels, cheese, boiled eggs, fruit, and meats - all of it was delicious.

Next stop: Kilimanjaro Club

The lounge

The buffet

Isabella's breakfast

A sample of my breakfast

There was also a good selection of drinks, and we got jungle juice, water, coffee, and 32 year old Jo treated herself to a Nesquik Chocolate Milk.

Once Isabella finished her breakfast she went to watch some Disney Junior on the kids TV in the corner while Jo and I finished ours at our own pace.

Jo and her chocolate milk

As well as the buffet, tables, and the kids TV area, the lounge also has a large screen showing park information in the morning, and films/TV shows throughout the day and evening; a smaller screen displaying details of the various club lounge offerings for the the week; a phone charging area; and the club level check in desk that is staffed all day and night with friendly and helpful cast members.

While we were in the lounge we made sure to make note of the various times of the different offerings that would be available throughout the day - we planned on making the most of being club level guests!

The offering were as follows:
  • Miamko ‘Sunrise Offerings’: 7:00am - 10:30am
  • Vitafunio ’Safari Snacks’: 11:30am - 3:00pm
  • Chai ‘Afternoon Tea’: 3:00pm - 4:30pm
  • Kisikusiku ‘Twilight Offering’: 5:00pm - 7:00pm
  • Rehema ‘Evening Indulgences’: 8:00pm - 10:00pm

Now that we had enjoyed the ‘Sunrise Offerings’ we were excited about the rest of the offerings we’d be trying throughout our stay.

The lobby

We were also excited about checking out the rest of the resort, but first we had some unpacking to do, so headed back down to the room.

While Jo unpacked, I wrote my notes, and Isabella checked out the top bunk - she’d been excited about sitting up there to watch some telly.

Checking out the top bunk

It was about 9:30am when we heading out the room again to go and explore the resort. First things first though, a quick stop at the club lounge to grab a coffee (and a pastry) before heading down to the lobby for a good look round.

It’s not until you start exploring Animal Kingdom Lodge properly that you realise it’s like a museum. Both Jambo House and Kidani Village are packed with genuine African artefacts, all labelled up with proper museum-style descriptions. The most impressive object on show is without a doubt the 16-foot Ijele mask from the Igbo people of Nigeria - the only one to exist outside of Nigeria; it’s situated at the back of the lobby and definitely worth checking out.

African items on display at various locations around Jambo House

Ijele mask

Just beyond the Ijele mask is a small room called the Sunset Overlook (so called because it has an outside balcony that overlooks the Sunset Savanna). They host activities in there at different times of the day, and in between it’s a lovely space to relax. It also has an ongoing exhibit dedicated to Martin & Osa Johnson, early 20th century explorers whose films and photographs were part of the inspiration for the design of Animal Kingdom Lodge, and ‘Up’. Read more about them here en.wikipedia/wiki/Martin_and_Osa_Johnson or better yet, visit the Sunset Overlook next time you’re at Animal Kingdom Lodge and check out 36 of their original photographs.

Sunset Overlook

Also hidden away in the Sunset Overlook is a time capsule from the opening of Animal Kingdom Lodge that is due to be opened in April 2021 - a good excuse for a return visit in 3 years time .

Time capsule

After a good look around inside, we went out on the balcony to see what animals we could see on the Sunset Savanna; we were quickly rewarded with a sighting of a red cardinal - the first time I’d ever seen one.

The day had warmed up since this morning, so we decided it was time to go exploring outside. We left the Sunset Overlook, turned left and headed down the stairs and outside to the Arusha Rock Savanna Overlook. After a little sit down around the fire pit we headed over towards the animal viewing areas. We passed a couple of friendly CMs who invited Isabella to join them in one of the many fun educational games they have around both Jambo House and Kidani Village. This particular game was called Bio Blocks, and was an ecologically themed giant jenga. It also earned Isabella the first of nine available beads (with necklace) and we resolved to get all nine before the week was out. Spoiler: we did not

Bio Blocks

We continued on to the viewing areas, but it was the wrong time of day to see the animals, and quickly headed back inside for a browse round the Zawadi Marketplace shop.

Jambo House

Cool light!

Random giraffe painting in a stairwell

We noticed that there was shortly to be another bead-earning activity going on in the Uzima Pool area, and as it was hot outside, we dropped our hoodies off back in the room before making our way there.

Our afternoon view of the Arusha Savanna

This activity was called Animal Enrichment, was much better attended than the previous one, and involved creating feeders that were to be put out on the Uzima Savanna for some of the many antelope species to enjoy.

Animal Enrichment

Isabella had her bead, and now it was time for some lunch. No prizes for guessing the destination; up to the club lounge we went. The lunch selection was as good as breakfast, and we enjoyed a nice selection of bread and dips, nuts, crisps, yoghurt-covered pretzels, and dried banana.

Bread and dips

Yoghurt-covered pretzels

Isabella reading one of the African country information cards given out by the CMs

As it was now lunchtime, and we were planning on getting the bus over to Epcot, we decided to have a drink. Oh and not being people who pass on the offer of free drinks, Jo ordered a wine and I got a Bud Light. We finished off our lunch with a cookie, and then headed back to the room to chill out and charge up our phones.

There were so many activities going on around the resort, it’s impossible to get bored, and I love the fact that there’s a clear conservation message that runs through everything they do, and the majority of the CMs are also African which helps with the authenticity of the whole experience.

Like every Disney resort, there was a playground and we decided to go check it out. Isabella was in her element, and was loving being at the resort. While she played, Jo sat in the sun, and I hid in the shade as it was getting really hot now!

Fun at the playground

We stopped for a game of this on the way to the Uzima Pool

It was soon time for the next activity, so we headed back to the Uzima Pool area, and Jo and I relaxed while Isabella earned herself another bead playing the Wildlife Games animal knowledge quiz.

Once the game ended we had to make a quick exit as it was finally time to head on over to the parks. We made a quick stop at the room to collect our phones and bags, and then headed down to the bus stop.

This afternoon’s fun would come courtesy of Epcot Food & Wine Festival. It was 2:20pm and our bus was running late. It finally arrived 7 minutes late, and not one, but two scooters unloaded before we could board. Isabella took over the back seat and to pay homage to Tim Tracker, was ‘Queen of the Bus’. The bus ride was about 15 minutes, and getting into Epcot was quick and easy: no queue!

Queen of the Bus

Taking advantage of the lack of a crowd, we got a couple of PhotoPass photos then headed in the direction of Mission: SPACE: despite our excitement for the Food and Wine we had a FastPass to use first.

Hello Epcot

We tried out the new green “Earth Mission” and weren’t impressed; we preferred the old less intense version of the orange mission.

Once our mission was over, it was time to head over to the Festival Center and pick up our (two) Annual Passholder Food & Wine badges featuring Remy (with the Eiffel Tower, and Leaning Tower of Pisa). As nice as the badges were, last year we got glass tumblers which are much more useful.

Annual Passholder!

Edited at 10:53 AM.
Stewboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 18, 10:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Stewboy
Imagineer

We had a look around the Festival Center, the highlight being “The Chocolate Experience: From Bean to the Bar” where they have amazing chocolate sculptures featuring Wreck It Ralph, Moana, Avatar, Beauty and the Beast, and Pandas; all of them made by Walt Disney World Resort chefs. It was then time for Jo to attempt to cram as many Ghirardelli chocolate squares as she could into a plastic box. Cramming complete, we paid up and heading over to the festival shop before heading back outside, taking a moment to mourn “Ellen’s Energy Adventure”.

Chocolate sculptures

Jo-rardelli

Missing Ellen

It was now time to hit the Festival proper; first stop was the Light Lab where we bought a T=C² (vanilla tonic water and cotton candy, prepared in test tubes) and a glownut, which we shared. Both were very sweet, and fluorescent!

The Light Lab was fun, but it’s not a place to spend too long in, unless you don’t mind a migraine, and once our snacks were finished we moved on to our next booth: Flavours from Fire.

Light Lab

It's ok, she's a scientist

Isabella and the giant glownut

Our choice from this booth was the smoked corned beef with warm crispy potatoes, pickled onions and blonde ale beer fondue featuring belgioioso romano and america grana cheeses. Our first festival food choice had gone down well, and next up was Active Eats, where we got loaded mac ‘n’ cheese with pepper bacon, cheddar cheese, peppers and green onions. Jo and Isabella shared this one and both enjoyed it.

Smoked corned beef

Loaded mac ‘n’ cheese

Next up was Coastal Eats where we got the seared scallops with roasted corn and butter bean succotash and chili-chipotle butter sauce - very nice.

Seared scallops

So far we’d done five booths in about 30 minutes, and also got five of the eight additional Annual Passholder badges - available from selected booths at this years festival.

Jo rockin' the AP badges

We were now going to give the festival booths a break, and go off and do a couple of rides. First up was Living with the Land which we had FastPass for. Always a favourite with us, we plan one day to take Isabella on the Behind the Seeds tour, something Jo and I have done a couple of times before.

Living with the Land

Our next ride was Soarin’ - Jo’s favourite ride at Walt Disney World. We decided to just accept wherever we were put rather than hold out for Concourse B, Row 1 - the view didn’t bother us and we all enjoyed it.

After our flight around the world, it was time to get eating again, and we resumed with a visit to Earth Eats where we had a rather disappointing grilled beef skewer with romaine, apricots, and feta cheese.

Grilled beef skewer

Thankfully that wasn’t the final selection of the day; we got a frozen wine cocktail from New Zealand (Jo loved it, I wasn’t that impressed), and then headed to the Cheese Studio for what turned out to be the unlikely star of this year’s Food & Wine Festival: the savory caramelized onion boursin garlic and fine herbs cheese tart with cold arugula salad and aged balsamic. It was huge and well enough to share.

Frozen wine cocktail

Cheese tart

This last selection of the day had also got us our sixth AP badge; it was now time to head to the exit. On our way out we stopped by Mouse Gear as I really wanted one of the Epcot 35th anniversary zip up hoodies but I was out of luck.

Jo and Isabella continued to the exit, while I headed into Starbucks to pick up one of the new Epcot Starbucks mug - which unfortunately has since been involved in an accident in the kitchen.

Buying the mug took longer than expected, and with the bus expected any moment, made a run for it back to the bus stop; we wanted to get back to the resort before 7pm so that we didn’t miss
dinner in the club lounge - ‘Twilight Offerings’ are on offer from 5pm-7pm.

The time was about 6:15pm, and fortunately I made it back in time for the bus. The ride ‘home’ was uneventful, and once there we headed straight up to the club lounge.

Bye Epcot

‘Twilight Offerings’ have a couple of hot dishes from the Animal Kingdom restaurants being served up by a CM; today it was Central African fufu mac and cheese, and Mozambique duck confit with bulgur pilaf and quince jus. We found a table then I headed up to the server to get two of each of the dishes, while Jo took Isabella to get a selection from the buffet.

Isabella's buffet selection

Central African fufu mac and cheese

Mozambique duck confit

Dinner was washed down with a couple of glasses of South African wine that was available to help yourself to.

DInner in the club lounge was nice and relaxed, and we were so glad to have made it back in time. Once finished we headed back up to the room, where we bathed Isabella and put her to bed. Like us, she was very tired, it really had been an action packed, fun filled day!

It was now time for Jo and I to relax, and this meant me heading back to the club lounge to get us an Amarula - one of the ‘Evening Indulgences’ on offer from 8-10pm.

We relaxed in the room with our drink while Isabella slept. I then returned to the club lounge for the final time today to get a decaf coffee and a couple of peanut butter brownies desserts.

It had been a long day, and it was now time to go to bed. We had our showers and by about 9:45pm we were in bed; exhausted after a fantastic first full day at Animal Kingdom Lodge.

TFR!

Edited at 12:12 PM.
Stewboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 18, 11:28 PM  
Link to this Post
tnkrbell
Imagineer

tnkrbell's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 5
Guidebook Photos: 13
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Great first full day! The Club Lounge offerings look really good as do F&W. Can't wait to get back over for it

November Pre Trippie
Our Happily Ever After 29/10/2014 Cypress Grove Estate House Wedding Day Report
2 weeks of offsites/onsites food report
tnkrbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 18, 09:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Seems like you had fun exploring AKL it looks like a lovely resort. The club lounge has lots of options from the sound of it you are making the most of it.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 18, 09:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Moody230
Excited about Disney

update

Staying AKL club for the first time this August. Your trip report is really useful and looks like you had a fab time.
Moody230 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 18, 09:53 AM  
Link to this Post
MrsSilverStar
Imagineer

Great to really enjoy the hotel as well as hitting Epcot. I'm impressed with the maximisation of the club level offerings! A lovely first day.
MrsSilverStar is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 18, 11:32 AM  
Link to this Post
i love jack
Apprentice Imagineer

The resort looks lovely and an amazing view from your room.
A lovely start to your holiday
Old 13 Feb 18, 12:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Flimsey
Very Serious Dibber

Flimsey's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
The club lounge food and drink looks great!
Flimsey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 18, 03:04 PM  
Link to this Post
kanickie
Very Serious Dibber

Amazing! Didn't realise you guys were Club Level AKL! Can't wait to read the rest of this TR, Neil and I are thinking about AKL for next year. If Club Level is an extra £800 then I think it's definitely worth it!
kanickie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 18, 04:59 PM  
Link to this Post
KittyBlackDog
Imagineer

A fun filled day packed with the good stuff!

Looking forward to reading more

TFS
KittyBlackDog is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List