Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 16 Oct 19, 03:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Jennywren
VIP Dibber

Feeling rushed in restaurants

This is the first trip out of the 20 we have been lucky enough to make where I have really noticed how rushed we are feeling in restaurants when we go out to dinner. Is it just me or have others noticed this as well?

Last night was the worst yet we ate at Olive Garden. From sitting down at the table to having our drinks, salad, breadsticks, appetiser and main all brought to the table within minutes of each other. We didn't have a chance to finish one course before the next arrived and when the entrees arrived and we protested it was too quick the servers just squashed them on the table anyway even though there wasn't really room, as they couldn't clear the previous courses as we hadn't finished them yet.

All told we had finished our meal, paid the bill and were out of the restaurant in under 35 minutes, feeling totally rushed and bewildered. It wasn't even as if the restaurant was overly busy.

We noticed the quick service between courses at Longhorns, Applebees and Red Lobster too but not quite as bad as last night. Never experienced this before and such a shame as the food is good and I really want to enjoy and savour it, but this really spoils the evening.
Jennywren is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 19, 05:41 PM  
Link to this Post
jocesk
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

I would’ve sent it back
jocesk is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 19, 05:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
OP. We never order the entrees until we are finished with the appetisers.
The big issue is that most Americans want to be in and out quickly whereas Europeans see dining as an experience to be taken slowly.

Nobody rushes me and we tend to be at a table for 90 mins+

If they keep coming back to take the next order I give them a time scale. For example give me 20 mins please.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 19, 05:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Jedi Princess
Imagineer

Mobile

A tip I picked up was, order the appetiser and say you’ve not decided on the mains. Then when you’ve finished your appetiser order the main and then do the same with dessert.
Old 16 Oct 19, 08:03 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

We went to Rock & Brews last night, and ordered our appetisers, when the appetisers came out we ordered our mains. Service was very good, didn’t feel rushed at all. Same at T Rex On Monday night, and we went to Dennys yesterday for brunch, again, very good service and not rushed at all. The only thing that annoys me is when they put the cheque on the table when you don’t ask for it.

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 19, 08:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Billy Beatnik
Imagineer

Hope you didn’t tip!
I always give very good tips for good service, but don’t for bad.
Old 16 Oct 19, 08:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

We always order DH apertiser then when he's finished that our main
If we are very odd ocassion having dessert we wait till mains are finished then order it to go
I'd send the next course back if I wasn't done eating that's for sure
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 19, 08:28 PM  
Link to this Post
KeithOP
Serious Dibber

This drove us MAD for years. Courses all arriving at once, followed closely by the bill, and plates being whizzed away when other people were still eating.

Until some time ago we had a chat with a server and another couple of tables. The UKers were saying how rushed they felt and how they wouldn't leave a good tip. The US folks were saying they really appreciated how fast the server was so they could eat and leave without having to wait or ask. The server was utterly bewildered about the UKers saying they would leave less of a tip for service which she thought was top notch.

So it all makes sense when you look at it like that and the answer is, explain that you're going to have a short break between courses. Order the starter first and then the mains when youre ready.

SOME servers DO want to turn round the table to maximise tips, so you still can get poor service *BUT* 95% of the time, they'll understand how you want to dine and will do their best for you.
KeithOP is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 19, 08:46 PM  
Link to this Post
disneypars
Imagineer

Mobile

Have to agree about Olive Garden it was a poor experience when we went last year so no visit this year.
Old 16 Oct 19, 09:07 PM  
Link to this Post
steruth
VIP Dibber

We had exactly the same with Black Angus last year food kept coming out even though starters unfinished. We told the server she giggles and carrys on.
Not going back again so rude.
x