Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 29 Oct 20, 01:42 PM  
Link to this Post
MillieMoo23
Getting Excited

Early pregnancy and lifting for work

I’m after some advice. I work for a private landlord and one other employee. There used to be three of us, but one found another job and in the process of being replaced
Earlier on in the year I found out I was pregnant and didn’t want to tell anyone till the 3 month scan. But my job sometimes involves moving mattresses up three flights of stairs and other heavy lifting, so I confided in the female and she offered to help with any lifting so I could stay in the office. At the 3 month scan I found out that I had lost the baby and had to tell the others as I was In hospital overnight and off work for a week
Roll on a few months and yesterday I found out I’m pregnant again 😊. This morning I’ve just had to lift two mattress up and down stairs and find it hard work. I did even before I was pregnant!
I’d rather not do the heavy lifting but the only way to get out of it, is by telling the landlord and the other employee that I’m pregnant which id rather not do. I don’t want to take any unnecessary risks and not sure what I should do. Any advice?
MillieMoo23 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 20, 01:46 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Depends why you don’t want to tell them really.
Are those reasons more important than a risk to your pregnancy you could avoid by telling them ?

Edited at 01:47 PM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 20, 01:52 PM  
Link to this Post
MillieMoo23
Getting Excited

I suppose I’m wondering whether I should be doing the heavy lifting and moving mattresses and it is a risk?
If it is, then I will definitely tell them and ask not to be involved
Just wondering what other people would do?
MillieMoo23 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 20, 02:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Fluffypenguin
Imagineer

Mobile

I would tell them. Lifting heavy objects can give you a hernia so I wouldn’t personally recommend it if you’re pregnant. Hopefully if you tell them they’ll do some risk assessments and make sure you don’t have to lift anything heavy.
Fluffypenguin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 20, 02:19 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

And what does your GP advise?
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 20, 02:40 PM  
Link to this Post
MillieMoo23
Getting Excited

I only found out yesterday and haven’t been to the doctors yet. Will ask for their advice
Old 29 Oct 20, 02:48 PM  
Link to this Post
sparklegirl
VIP Dibber

You have to allow them to do an appropriate risk assessment. They need to know all the facts so that they are able to make sure you and your wee baby stay safe. they cant do this until you tell them though> they should keep the information confidential though as with any medical reason for adjustments.

hse.gov.uk/mothers/law.htm

In my opinion given the job you do its best they know immediately so any identifiable risks can be minimised and they can plan for the work to be redistributed. You get the benefit of protection under the law too. I understand the twelve week fear but not in the context of the job you do which involves quite physical tasks.
sparklegirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 20, 02:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridarules
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I would make an appointment with GP but also inform your employer. Not worth taking any risks at all.
Marriott Motel, IDrive 1991, Davenport 2009, Windsor Palms 2010, 2012, Windsor Palms/RPR 2014, Windsor Palms, RPR, HRH 2016, Anna Maria, RPR, HRH & Windsor Palms 2018, Miami, Orlando, Anna Maria & Naples 2019. Orlando/HRH Easter 2022 & Miami/Orlando/RPR/Anna Maria/Naples 2022, Orlando 2023, Exploring Tampa 2024, Family relaxation at Anna Maria 2024
Floridarules is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 20, 03:02 PM  
Link to this Post
MillieMoo23
Getting Excited

Thanks for the advice. My problem is that it’s literally myself and the colleague that do the heavy lifting and he can’t do it on his own. They’re in the process of hiring someone but they will only be part time. I think I’ve made the decision to tell them and hope they take my concerns on board
Old 29 Oct 20, 03:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by MillieMoo23 View Post
Thanks for the advice. My problem is that it’s literally myself and the colleague that do the heavy lifting and he can’t do it on his own. They’re in the process of hiring someone but they will only be part time. I think I’ve made the decision to tell them and hope they take my concerns on board
Congratulations, totally agree that you should tell them, and though it's hard, try not to worry about how they get around it, they need to put reasonable protection in place to protect you and the baby.