Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 20 Nov 20, 02:54 PM  
Link to this Post
ChoppyGirl
VIP Dibber

TV set up for parents

My mum and dad want a new tv which they want me to order for them from somewhere like AO or Curry’s. Do they set the TVs up or do they just drop and go as my dad would not be able to do it himself.
2014 Saratoga Springs Resort
2017 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2019 Highlands Reserve/Grand Plaza/Boardwalk Villa
2023 Vero Beach/Portofino Bay/Coronado Springs Club level

2024 Wilderness Lodge/Grand Floridian
2025 Disneyland Hotel DLP
ChoppyGirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 20, 03:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Unexpectedpenny
Imagineer

Mobile

I know Currys do but they generally just plug it in and go rather than going through it all properly. Though I’m not sure if they have stopped this service at the moment with covid.
You could see if there’s an electronics engineer in their area that can set it up for them. If they happen to live in Essex I know someone reliable!
Unexpectedpenny is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 20, 03:46 PM  
Link to this Post
ChoppyGirl
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Unexpectedpenny View Post
I know Currys do but they generally just plug it in and go rather than going through it all properly. Though I’m not sure if they have stopped this service at the moment with covid.
You could see if there’s an electronics engineer in their area that can set it up for them. If they happen to live in Essex I know someone reliable!
Thank you - unfortunately we are a bit far away in Worcestershire!
2014 Saratoga Springs Resort
2017 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2019 Highlands Reserve/Grand Plaza/Boardwalk Villa
2023 Vero Beach/Portofino Bay/Coronado Springs Club level

2024 Wilderness Lodge/Grand Floridian
2025 Disneyland Hotel DLP
ChoppyGirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 20, 03:55 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Use a local retailer feather than AO. My Father was legally blind (tho never admitted it - that’s another story) and needed those type of things sorting and in Grantham Downtown (part of Olrid brothers which, I think have stores in West Miss ?) priced an excellent service in doing this for him has we live hundreds of miles away
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 20, 05:08 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

use richer sounds or john lewis. you get a free 5/6yr warranty with them, and i believe they both do installs, although whether they do now with covid, who knows?
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 20, 05:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Mazbar
Imagineer

Mazbar's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Setting up the tv isn’t the only problem, any tv aerial man would do it. The problem is your parents understanding how the tv works can be the biggest problem.
Mazbar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 20, 05:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Weddingnyc
Apprentice Imagineer

Unfortunately it’s bare minimum now, especially with COVID. My elderly relatives bought a new tv from AO last month, they put it in the living room but didn’t unpackaged, and they had to lift it onto the stand themselves. Luckily, I set it up as they just got a blank screen. Are there any local groups that would have someone that would go in and set it up? Many people are willing to give their time and effort to help out.
NY and Boston July 2020
Weddingnyc is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 20, 05:46 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Weddingnyc View Post
Unfortunately it’s bare minimum now, especially with COVID. My elderly relatives bought a new tv from AO last month, they put it in the living room but didn’t unpackaged, and they had to lift it onto the stand themselves. Luckily, I set it up as they just got a blank screen. Are there any local groups that would have someone that would go in and set it up? Many people are willing to give their time and effort to help out.
Depends as some companies are setting up. I had sky Q installed a couple of weeks back and had full set up, demo and training until I was happy. We worse masks and I kept the doors and windows open so certainly companies will be offering a similar service when a TV is ordered
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 20, 06:00 PM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by ChoppyGirl View Post
My mum and dad want a new tv which they want me to order for them from somewhere like AO or Curry’s. Do they set the TVs up or do they just drop and go as my dad would not be able to do it himself.
Hi if they lived in Norfolk I set it up for them for free
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 20, 06:13 PM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

John Lewis I believe are still doing this, they bring the TV into the area you want, unpack, remove an old TV and install the new one obviously at a price but so worth it and you can always ring their technical dept if help is needed thereafter. Check but I'm pretty sure they are still doing so while Covid is ongoing.
They did the above with my new Heat Pump Dryer last week.