Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 29 Nov 20, 01:18 PM  
Link to this Post
fluff48
Apprentice Imagineer

Gaps between walls/skirting -what to use & when

Hi guys

We have natural wood skirting and we are painting the walls white.

Is decorators caulk the best thing to seal between the wall/skirting? Any recommendations on which one?

When do I apply it? At the end or before the final coat?

There are horrid bits running down the staircase that filler didn’t resolve plus the stair movement needs something more flexible.

Thanks
Fluff
fluff48 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Nov 20, 01:43 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

The fact that you are keeping the natural wooden skirting boards I wouldn't use caulk because it will look odd having the top of the skirting part natural wood and part paint unless it's a very small gap.

If the gaps are more than a few mm thick then I would get some natural wood filler and push something down the gaps to avoid the wood filler falling down (paper or plastic). Once dried and rubbed down I would use frog masking tape on the wall so when you varnish the skirting board you won't get any on the wall.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Nov 20, 01:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
OP. Have you got a picture so I can see the profile of the skirting plus see the gap you mean.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Nov 20, 02:06 PM  
Link to this Post
fluff48
Apprentice Imagineer

Thanks MH, I never though of wood filler. We striped and varnished the skirting earlier in the year and I’m not sure I would have got a good match. I’ve taken the skirting back to the wood with only a clear varnish. I’m kind of committed now as undercoat on all walls with first top coat on bottom of the hall. Ps I will dig out the white filler and use wood filler next time we paint it, as I now see what you mean about the white looking odd when painted at the same level as the top of the skirting.

Mr Tom, so pics attached for scrutiny, close up all the hard work looks naff lol. 1st 4 pics are the staircase. I could put more easy filler in the gaps but think it will crack. The staircase walls only have an undercoat on so far.

This is a door fascia which is very raggy edged. I was thinking of caulk for this but not sure to add now or when finished?

All advice is appreciated.

Edited at 02:18 PM.
fluff48 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Nov 20, 02:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
OP. Is that a piece of timber beading on the right hand side of the staircase main frame?

If so I would be inclined to pop that off to investigate underneath.

With regards to skirting and architrave we had a set standard if we were replacing with hardwood clear timber. Never follow the contours of the wall but instead have clear sharp straight lines. That ends up with variable size gaps on the top or sides of the timber.
We then ran masking tape dead straight on the timber up to the gap. The same on the wall. Then if the walls are going to be white we gunned with white mastic and then pulled off the tape and one final smooth with a wet finger.

Edit. Is the bottom picture a photo of the architrave on a door frame as it meets the wall?
If so I would get a scraper and scrape off the plaster 'snobs' against the architrave where over time the plaster has shrunk back. I would then use white decorators caulk for that area. However protect the timber with masking tape to save an overlap of caulk.

Edited at 03:01 PM.
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Nov 20, 03:49 PM  
Link to this Post
fluff48
Apprentice Imagineer

Yes, it could be beading on the staircase as there are filled holes. Urgh, I don’t really want to take it off (I know a very simple job for you) as I know we won’t get it on well again. Could I caulk this to and do I put on the caulk now and paint over it on the final top coat?

I tried a Stanley blade to take off the snobs but didn’t work, will try a scraper.

Thank you 👍
Old 29 Nov 20, 04:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

I add caulk after decorating (white paintwork not wood). I have no idea if that is the correct order but I seem to be really good at doing this and you don’t see it. My husband is so heavy handed and makes a real mess with caulk and mastic it is now my job. Like Mr Morrow i use masking tape but usually only with mastic.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Nov 20, 09:12 PM  
Link to this Post
fluff48
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Pumpkin Pie View Post
I add caulk after decorating (white paintwork not wood). I have no idea if that is the correct order but I seem to be really good at doing this and you don’t see it. My husband is so heavy handed and makes a real mess with caulk and mastic it is now my job. Like Mr Morrow i use masking tape but usually only with mastic.
Thanks pumpkin pie. Is the caulk very white? We have pure brilliant white emulsion.
Old 29 Nov 20, 09:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Emulsion struggles to adhere to caulk as its oil based whereas undercoat and gloss will stick.
That’s why if you gun a crack on skirting boards with caulk you should let some of the undercoat drift over the caulk on to the wall and then the next coat of emulsion will adhere nicely to the dried undercoat.

Preparation is the key, never rush and keep making sure what is done will produce a nice finish. Better to prep for 4 days than rush and do the job in 1 day then regret it.

Old 29 Nov 20, 09:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Yes the stuff we use is white - it’s not a creamy colour but to be honest most of the caulk disappears into the gaps and you should only see a very thin line. It wipes away really easy if you put too much on.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List