Notices
Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Theme Parks Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 25 Aug 20, 10:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Girlw0nder
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Rac20 View Post
Sounds like you already have a clear plan of the type of things you want to do.🥰

We travelled in the height of summer and if you’ve ever been to Orlando at this time you’ll know how humid it is. Double it for Japan.😂
Oh blimey!
3 weeks Cocoa Beach, Regal Oaks, CBR & HRH August 2015
Birthday trip NYC April 2016
East Coast 7 state Road Trip Aug 2017
West Coast Arizona, Nevada & California Aug 2018

TAKE ME BACK!
Girlw0nder is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 20, 11:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Mobile

That is why we plan to go in November. Hate the heat, only done Orlando in winter.
DLP: day trips 2000, 2003; Cheyenne Sep 2009, Feb 2011, Nov 2018; Sequoia Lodge June 2008, May 2012; Elysee May 2012, Jan 2013, Sep 2013; Disneyland Hotel Mar 2015, Santa Fe Nov 2016; Newport Bay Sep 2017, Ibis Sep 2019, Hotel NY Art of Marvel Nov 2021
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14
Gill H is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 20, 11:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Girlw0nder
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
That is why we plan to go in November. Hate the heat, only done Orlando in winter.
Yeah we don't have that luxury I'm afraid, although I do love the heat, it does get too hot for me sometimes...

TAKE ME BACK!
Girlw0nder is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 20, 12:31 PM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

Yeh the heat can be brutal, hence go early May, but another thing I found and hope other visitors can confirm - is generally we found the air con was used in hotels, stores, attractions to "take the edge" off the heat, rather than make the place cold.
AntonyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 20, 12:41 PM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

We are thinking 8-10 days at easter or summer holidays as we have school aged children (13 and 15 if we go next year)

Based on what others have said too, probably better to go Easter time due to the heat of summer. However, when is Easter next year for us, does it hit with the mad busy / expensive Golden Week in Japan next year, which are April 29th I think I read. Also, if you go Easter, then you defo miss the Olympics that could be on next year.

I need to see if the olympics are taking place next year, if they are it's looking more likely 2022...

Would you not go Easter next year if Olympics are on?

We are definitely up for travelling around Japan, we like to travel, hence our 1000 mile road US trips to the most weird and wonderful places!

I have only done Disney, Tokyo and a day trip to Kyoto – which was great. The next trip we are planning a day trip to Osaka, which am trying to extend to a couple of days and go see Universal.

We don't have many miles with VA unfortunately, the last few trips we have flown BA and accumulated points with them so this may be our best option, I will have to have a look into this.

Only ask as I have a VA credit card that earns air miles and we got a First and Business return seat last year, for 700 quid in taxes and fees. Alas (though am sure are a blessing! ) you have a family of 4 and getting reward seats for all 4 of your would be a tough call.

We are also looking at going to Universal Japan, if Mario Land is open then this would be awesome... I have already looked at TDRexplorer train ride and after negotiating the NY subway fairy competently I think this is a goer for a 2-3 day trip.

Hope Mario is indeed open for your visit, we found train travel a breeze with Google maps on the phone, it took pretty much all the stress out of train travel, and walking around Tokyo too – it just pointed the way.

We are thinking 4 days at the Hilton Disney, then 1-2 days exploring Tokyo and then train ride over to Osaka to do USJ and explore that area 3 days before flying home.

The Hilton at Tokyo Bay is a great hotel, loved the Disney store inside the place, the convenience store too

Edited at 12:42 PM.
AntonyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 20, 01:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Girlw0nder
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by AntonyJ View Post
Hi - I would agree with all said above!

We flew using Virgin airmiles and got seats on ANA from London to Haneda.

We are doing it again for our trip next May but flying via Frankfurt from Glasgow as saves us so much money in taxes / fees.

My bible for research was Youtuber thisNatasha - she has been a few times (often goes on bigger trips to Japan) and her guides to TDR and Tokyo were on the nose for me.

Where to start?
Where do you want to go, Disney and Tokyo or wider afield?
When do you want to go?

We picked early May for both trips, the prices drop after Golden Week in Japan (but that is when cherry blossom is out so we missed that) and before the oppressive heat and rain of summer started.

We wanted to just do Tokyo for our 10 days as we anted to see the mega city, but did have a day trip to Kyoto to see the old capital and loved it. Two days at Disney (a day each) was what I agreed with my partner as they are not a Disney fan. However, they were blown away by the parks (especially Disney Sea) and are happy to go again next May

Hotels - we stayed at Hilton Tokyo Bay for our Disney stay, before moving to a hotel in the city at Shibuya - and doing a similar split this time. I went with the Hilton as I have Gold status in their rewards scheme so get free benefits, the hotel is across the road from a Disney monorail station and by comparison to the hotel in Tokyo itself, the room has huge! Also, they treated us like gods there, nevber felt my Gold status got me much of anything in the UK ("here, have a bottle of water!") but in Japan made to feel special.

That is my starter for 10 for you, please ask more questions if you want, I love love love talking about Tokyo and Disney there to anyone who will listen .

No question is too small or dumb - just ask here and myself and others will chip in.

]I have bored my partner by watching so many YouTube videos of Disney and Tokyo - if got a question I can probably point out a YT video on it lol.

Things you do not know about yet that will make the trip a bit easier or cheaper... Suica card... Japan Rail Pass... oh it is all coming back to me lol

FYI I was rather scared about language and food before we went, but we were fine and had an amazing time and the food is not all fish if you do not want it to be
Thank you so much, this is very helpful! I will definitely have plenty of questions to ask along the way

TAKE ME BACK!
Old 3 Sep 20, 10:29 AM  
Link to this Post
JoanicSicos
Getting Excited

I loved my time in Japan - I went for the Rugby World Cup in Oct last year - FYI, the first two weeks of October was still ridiculously hot and humid, so be aware of that.

I'd recommend if you're looking at Kobe, Osaka, Kyoto etc that staying in Osaka as a base is a great idea, as you're in the middle of Kobe and Kyoto and can get to both in under an hour either way. We didn't spend much time in Kobe as we only went for lunch for some Kobe Wagyu, which was an experience, but everyone on our trip agreed we actually had a better steak in a steakhouse in akihabara on our last night!

We stayed in Akihabara at the Best Western Hotel Fino - lovely hotel, and fairly large rooms for Tokyo standards and was ideally suited for heading to Odaiba and Asakusa as well as being on their version of the "circle line" - the Yamanote line which means you can get to Shibuya/Shinjuku really easily. It's also quieter that side of the city at night if nightlife/clubbing ain't your thing.

We flew with KLM, London - Amsterdam - Narita as we met friends in London the night before who we were going with and came back Narita - Amsterdam - Edinburgh, and was really easy. Would definitely fly with them again, especially if staying in Ueno/Aki again as the train from the airport goes straight from Ueno.

Look at getting a JR Rail pass if you're travelling outside of Tokyo - Heading down to Osaka absolutely made it worth it - But if you're going to be using subways rather than overlines in tokyo it might not be. In any case, get a suicia card (Japans version of an oyster card) - can used in convenience stores and vending machines too!

I can't wait to go back!
JoanicSicos is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 20, 07:19 PM  
Link to this Post
kk20
Imagineer

We went in July last year. We flew the day the kids broke up from school. Heat was bearable.

We flew with airfrance via schiphol, had 4 days in disney, a week in kyoto and a week in tokyo. We are going again in 2022 (postponed from next year) and doing Disney kyoto, osaka and nagasaki (not in that order).

Japan is awesome. Kyoto is a *must* we had an airbnb for kyoto a mere 5 min walk from the station. It was perfect. Disney was at the Okura bay and tokyo was the hotel grand palace.

JR pass was great for bullet train. Suica cards for subways not covered.

DLJ ans disneysea were the nicest weve been too. Queuing to die for and politeness abound.

Edited at 07:25 PM.
kk20 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 20, 07:25 PM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Mobile

Originally Posted by AntonyJ View Post
Hi - I would agree with all said above!

We flew using Virgin airmiles and got seats on ANA from London to Haneda.

We are doing it again for our trip next May but flying via Frankfurt from Glasgow as saves us so much money in taxes / fees.

My bible for research was Youtuber thisNatasha - she has been a few times (often goes on bigger trips to Japan) and her guides to TDR and Tokyo were on the nose for me.

Where to start?
Where do you want to go, Disney and Tokyo or wider afield?
When do you want to go?

We picked early May for both trips, the prices drop after Golden Week in Japan (but that is when cherry blossom is out so we missed that) and before the oppressive heat and rain of summer started.

We wanted to just do Tokyo for our 10 days as we anted to see the mega city, but did have a day trip to Kyoto to see the old capital and loved it. Two days at Disney (a day each) was what I agreed with my partner as they are not a Disney fan. However, they were blown away by the parks (especially Disney Sea) and are happy to go again next May

Hotels - we stayed at Hilton Tokyo Bay for our Disney stay, before moving to a hotel in the city at Shibuya - and doing a similar split this time. I went with the Hilton as I have Gold status in their rewards scheme so get free benefits, the hotel is across the road from a Disney monorail station and by comparison to the hotel in Tokyo itself, the room has huge! Also, they treated us like gods there, nevber felt my Gold status got me much of anything in the UK ("here, have a bottle of water!") but in Japan made to feel special.

That is my starter for 10 for you, please ask more questions if you want, I love love love talking about Tokyo and Disney there to anyone who will listen .

No question is too small or dumb - just ask here and myself and others will chip in.

]I have bored my partner by watching so many YouTube videos of Disney and Tokyo - if got a question I can probably point out a YT video on it lol.

Things you do not know about yet that will make the trip a bit easier or cheaper... Suica card... Japan Rail Pass... oh it is all coming back to me lol

FYI I was rather scared about language and food before we went, but we were fine and had an amazing time and the food is not all fish if you do not want it to be
Anthony - what a useful and well presented post. I'm not interested in going but still found it useful.

I may be wrong but there is a YouTube channel from l & r dreaming that went through the planning process for this. May be worth a search.
Old 4 Sep 20, 07:28 AM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

Thank you, very kind of you to say! Hope I come over as enthusiastic rather than some know it all - as only been the once