Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 8 Oct 20, 10:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Dazed
VIP Dibber

Anyone been to Dubai since they re-opened? *Update: We’ve booked!

We were meant to be going to the US in Oct, Nov and January, which have now all been cancelled. It is our sons 21st birthday in December and we were thinking of going to Dubai for 10-14 days as a family.

We will have Covid cover with Emirates, we have valid travel insurance for everything else with our bank.

Has anyone been out there since they re-opened to tourists in July? Good/bad experiences? We have been many times before, and plan to mostly stay at the resort rather than visit tourist sights.

Edited at 10:25 AM.
Dazed is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 20, 10:54 PM  
Link to this Post
anna68
VIP Dibber

anna68's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

We were due to go Oct half term but emirates gave us cancellation option which we took. You need a test on the way in and on the way out I believe and it’s quarantine status. Also masks everywhere and hotels not completely open so do some good research.
anna68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 20, 11:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Dazed
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by anna68 View Post
We were due to go Oct half term but emirates gave us cancellation option which we took. You need a test on the way in and on the way out I believe and it’s quarantine status. Also masks everywhere and hotels not completely open so do some good research.
Thank you for replying. Yes, we will get tested before we go. My research so far, suggests that testing when leaving Dubai is for if your inbound destination demands it, the UK doesn’t. Atlantis are offering the test for free though, so we can have it done there. We are looking to stay at Atlantis and they are open. Water park is open (except Tuesdays), Poole are open and the restaurants are too, although buffet restaurants are no longer self serve.

We will all be quarantining together at home when we return. We plan on returning around Xmas Eve and then can quarantine easily as we always stay at home over Xmas/New Year and DH’s business closes (annual shutdown) for 2 weeks. We have guaranteed food delivery slots and Sky/Netflix

I’ll keep researching and hopefully I’ll get some info from people that have been recently too.
Dazed is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 20, 11:55 PM  
Link to this Post
anna68
VIP Dibber

anna68's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Sounds like you are well researched. Hope it works out!
anna68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 20, 08:01 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

I want to go but there are horror stories of tests not being accepted on srriveal and being hosted in a “quarantine centre” until the new test at DXB comes back as negative . I wont take that chance so, unfortunately, I wont be making my usual winter trips there at the moment. You do need a test on to fly back to UK (accoring to my UAE friens) but that can be done at your hotel and quarantine in UK doesn’t worry me its the tales of arrivals being hosted in a detention centre (and what happens if you are positive ?) that worry me enough not to travel, at the moment.

I have several Brit friends living in UAE so as soo as they say its less of a concern I will fly out to my little hotel and place of arabise.
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 20, 08:05 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

My friend is domiciled there (tax reasons) and so has to go so often- he is there now and having a great time, out in a nice restaurant in Atlantis last night.
Old 9 Oct 20, 08:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Dazed
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
I want to go but there are horror stories of tests not being accepted on srriveal and being hosted in a “quarantine centre” until the new test at DXB comes back as negative . I wont take that chance so, unfortunately, I wont be making my usual winter trips there at the moment. You do need a test on to fly back to UK (accoring to my UAE friens) but that can be done at your hotel and quarantine in UK doesn’t worry me its the tales of arrivals being hosted in a detention centre (and what happens if you are positive ?) that worry me enough not to travel, at the moment.

I have several Brit friends living in UAE so as soo as they say its less of a concern I will fly out to my little hotel and place of arabise.
Thank you for the info. We will have the correct paperwork all printed for arrival and will only travel if all negative and feeling well. The information on the UAE website states that if they choose to retest you on arrival in Dubai, you can quarantine in your hotel or residence until results are back (I’ve been told it takes 2 days).

We thought about booking a 4 bed apartment that we stayed in before. It would be easy to isolate there if need be, and then on to the Atlantis for the last 5-7 nights. Atlantis test you for free before you leave.

Someone I follow on social media has just been to Dubai for 15 days and then flown on to LA from there. He posted his experience online and for him it all went well. He and his partner took their negative tests printed out and that was all they needed. No further tests, questions, concerns. He re-tested before flying to the US to be on the safe side but the results weren’t requested either at Dubai or LAX airports.

There’s always horror stories, I will see if I can find out any further info regarding quarantine.

We are a family of 8 so want to make sure everyone is covered for every eventuality.
Old 9 Oct 20, 08:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Disney Jo
Imagineer

I have a friend who lives out there, he said they are being very strict with wearing masks and the cases are rising just like the UK. However, he said everything was open, social distancing was good, weather is great etc. Another friend is planning to meet up with him in a few weeks time when he is due to go out there.
August 2018 - Villa at Oak Island Community
December 2021 - Art of Animation Cars Suite
Disney Jo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 20, 08:49 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Dazed View Post
Thank you for the info. We will have the correct paperwork all printed for arrival and will only travel if all negative and feeling well. The information on the UAE website states that if they choose to retest you on arrival in Dubai, you can quarantine in your hotel or residence until results are back (I’ve been told it takes 2 days).

We thought about booking a 4 bed apartment that we stayed in before. It would be easy to isolate there if need be, and then on to the Atlantis for the last 5-7 nights. Atlantis test you for free before you leave.

Someone I follow on social media has just been to Dubai for 15 days and then flown on to LA from there. He posted his experience online and for him it all went well. He and his partner took their negative tests printed out and that was all they needed. No further tests, questions, concerns. He re-tested before flying to the US to be on the safe side but the results weren’t requested either at Dubai or LAX airports.

There’s always horror stories, I will see if I can find out any further info regarding quarantine.

We are a family of 8 so want to make sure everyone is covered for every eventuality.

Thank you for that - I have 2 separate friends that live there and i read Gulf news but really want to go but I know f that her hotel I use wont let you quarantined you have to stay in a government centre as I emailed them . Marhaba, who I always use to smooth my arrivals and departures (I have been over 100 times ) offer a great service when you depart so that isnt a concern for me its the arrival and knowing hat tests are acceptable (I hear there is a private clinic on Mortimer Street in London that Emirates recommend) so if you have any tips for me I would be grateful

Thank you so much for your great advice and posts
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 20, 08:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Dazed
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
Thank you for that - I have 2 separate friends that live there and i read Gulf news but really want to go but I know f that her hotel I use wont let you quarantined you have to stay in a government centre as I emailed them . Marhaba, who I always use to smooth my arrivals and departures (I have been over 100 times ) offer a great service when you depart so that isnt a concern for me its the arrival and knowing hat tests are acceptable (I hear there is a private clinic on Mortimer Street in London that Emirates recommend) so if you have any tips for me I would be grateful

Thank you so much for your great advice and posts
Thanks. I looked at that clinic and also one in Marylebone as they are easy to get to by tube from here. Flights and Covid cover with Emirates will allow date change to flights if anyone tests positive.

Emirates recommend Marhaba on their website too. Interesting info regarding the quarantine centres as that contradicts the UAE official website. I believe you though! Not sure if I want to take that risk I’m not concerned about us adults it’s my 2 ‘adult’ sons that I wouldn’t want to be taken to a centre. They are 20 and 19, the 19 year old has ASD and would be traumatised for life (although it does state on the website that anyone with a mild disability is exempt from testing). Not sure I believe their website now