Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 16 Dec 19, 09:10 AM  
Link to this Post
mitch-fishguard
Apprentice Imagineer

Guess who saved by flying TC ? Day 4

Woke up this morning, slightly light headed after our impromptu evening at the Turf Club, drinking with my new American friends. It was really good to spend some time talking nonsense with complete strangers
We went out on to the balcony to have a bagel and juice together and to have my 5th coffee. I loved the blend given to us by OKW and along with the flavoured creamer from Walmart, I couldnt get enough of the stuff. A quick surreptitious glance at TC (same gloom and doomers) and a WhatsApp video call to my daughter, we sorted out the villa a bit and then caught a bus to Typhoon Lagoon, where we did 2 laps of the lazy river, had a burger lunch and left. Yep. Quick in and out.
In the afternoon, we just chilled a bit in the villa, sorted and packed a few of the many purchases from Walmart. We didnt go far because we had an ADR for Trails End at a quarter to five (leander doesnt like eating late) and getting there can be a task at best. Caught first bus to a park (AK) and got the bus to Fort Wilderness. The bus up to the Trails End section was jammed, and its when I first encountered the bizzare ritual of seat refusal. I will never, ever, ever, EVER sit in a seat when a woman is standing. Im talking about someone whos either older than me or a woman with a child. In this case, she was older than me, and I basically had to stand up and give her no option but to sit down. Leander said to her that "he wont sit here if youre standing" and she thanked her and said that she wanted to sit, but felt that it was my right to sit there !
My mother and grandfather would have turned in their graves, if I hadnt insisted. We then discussed how crazy the world had gone and I said that I would never agree with not showing manners. Im adamant about that. Phew.Rant over. Happily, every other woman gratefully took up my offer for the rest of the trip, a few firm flourishes with my arm, mind, but all accepted.
As usual, the food and service was top rate. I love the grub at Trails End. Its a great setting and after that we got the boat to WL and caught a bus to the AK.
This was where I had the most jaw-dropping experience Id ever had at Disney. We were on the safari and as we approached the lions, one male started roaring. Ive never heard anything like that that wasnt live. It was i-n-c-r-e-d-i-b-l-e. Then a lioness came up onto the rock and roared back. I swear I had a tear in my eye. The failing daylight and the spotlights on her made it look like it was staged. Even the driver was open-mouthed and said how she couldnt have timed it better. Im shaking my head and staring out of the window as i remember it now. To hear that in the flesh,I feel so fortunate.
We then went to Avatar, but I just kept laughing and shaking my head at those lions. Not long after that we went back and I realised that where was no photopasses where we had been. Im praying that Leander has some photos of the night.
We had a nice little sit on the balcony and saw the night out.
mitch-fishguard is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Dec 19, 08:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
It sounds like a fab experience hearing the lions roar. So lucky with the timing of it. That's something that you won't forget.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 20, 09:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Holiday time
Serious Dibber

Mobile

That sounds like an absolutely amazing experience with the lions. Had to laugh at the seat offering exploits. It amazes me nowadays how some people can leave pregnant and elderly people standing on public transport.
Holiday time is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List