Notices
TV and Film This forum is for those DIBB members that want to discuss TV and Films.

Old 25 Jan 19, 11:38 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

^^

fair comment but a mafia saga is always going to be violent! and a lot of it very matter of fact almost casual...

ref the treatment of woman to be honest there is far worse in later seasons so probably best you have bailed out of watching it
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 19, 12:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Bridget
Imagineer

I've never seen it. The cover of the DVD looks a bit dull and has never got me thinking - oh wow I must watch that!

Is it as good as Breaking Bad?
Old 25 Jan 19, 12:39 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
I've never seen it. The cover of the DVD looks a bit dull and has never got me thinking - oh wow I must watch that!

im a massive fan of breaking bad (and better call saul) but the sopranos is another level of better

takes a few episodes to get to know the characters/style of the show. dont just watch the pilot as this is a slightly different style and was a year or more before any more episodes were made...

86 hours of tv gold

Edited at 04:32 PM.
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 19, 02:45 PM  
Link to this Post
scottishmum
Imagineer

scottishmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12

Much better than breaking bad imo.
Old 25 Jan 19, 06:12 PM  
Link to this Post
soraia
Very Serious Dibber

Ahhhhh The Sopranos.
My all time favourite. Nothing will ever touch it IMO.
I used to re-watch it every year but I haven't been able to bring myself to watching it since James Gandolfini passed away. I watched the first few episodes and it felt really weird.
What an ensemble cast - again I don't think they'll ever be able to replicate that chemistry!
SO many great episodes... where to start!? *spoilers alert* I could talk about The Sopranos all day so this will probably be really long...
Pine Barrens is great like others have mentioned.
I also love "Funhouse" and the food poisoning/dream sequence which leads Tony to realise the truth about Big Pussy.
Actually the other "dream logic" episode I always loved is the one where Tony is Kevin Finnerty think it's called "Join the club"

Then there are certain moments that just stay with you:
I'll always remember the moment Tony is in an appointment with Dr. Melfi after she was assaulted and they released the criminal, then she breaks down and Tony asks what's the matter. It would be so easy for her to say something to Tony and get justice but that last frame of the episode when Tony says "what? do you want to say something to me?" and it zooms in on her face as she thinks about it then says "No" always gives me chills!

The whole altercation between Tony and Ralphie over Pie-O-My!

Basically anytime Livia is on the screen. Janice too for that matter!

...and of course the very last few minutes of The Sopranos in "Made in America". Controversial, indeed, but absolute magic!

Edited at 06:14 PM.
soraia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 19, 07:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Nicksgirl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by novocastrian View Post
^^

fair comment but a mafia saga is always going to be violent! and a lot of it very matter of fact almost casual...

ref the treatment of woman to be honest there is far worse in later seasons so probably best you have bailed out of watching it
I actually watched the whole series. There is violence and there is violence. It was not that that worried me. The awful scenes of women being so badly abused was uncomfortable watching and in the end I found it all to be a bit of a let down.
Only my opinion. My favourite film is Love Story and everyone ribs me for that...
Econolodge Hawaiian Maingate in its Hey Day ! Villa we won on "Big Breakfast". Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress. POFQ/Sheraton Safari.The wonderful Al Qasr - Dubai. 2008 Luxury and Romance in the wonderful Maldives in a Water Bungalow. 2009 Burj Al Arab/Atlantis/Al Maha.Dubai WOWWIEEE! 2010 5nts Disney's Old Key West/Contemporary./7nts Universals Portofino. 2012 Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa,Dubai and Italy. 2014 -Norfolk, Sirmione Italy, Burj Al Arab/Al Qasr, thank you to my wonderful husband.x
Nicksgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 19, 07:02 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

^^

again fair comment but imo none of its far fetched or violence for the sake of it, thats how these people live(d)... iirc i read 96 people get whacked over the course of the shows 6 seasons

woman are treat appallingly by our standards, but in the eyes of these wiseguys, cheating on your missis, having a goomar(sp), laying your hands on, even excecuting are all considered ok within their world... its a real life scenario, dosnt excuse it but does explain it. makes it all the more believable if very uncomfortable viewing..
Old 26 Jan 19, 10:11 PM  
Link to this Post
JoJo88
VIP Dibber

It’s is soooo much better than Breaking Bad and I LOVED BB! Sopranos is the best TV series ever made. I’m always envious of people who have yet to watch it
JoJo88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 19, 01:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Bridget
Imagineer

Another one to add to my list then - thank you
Old 29 Jan 19, 06:27 PM  
Link to this Post
keith1973
Imagineer

It is without doubt the best show ever I loved the ever changing relationships between all the characters.