Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 11 Nov 18, 11:18 PM  
Link to this Post
bigshaz
booked again yippee

Aug 18 No chaps in uniform this time – Travel day

Aug 18 No Chaps in Uniform this Time - Travel Day

Disney steps 10,743 4.12miles

With the exception of Millie we were all wide awake and once bathrooms duties had been done we left our rooms, checked out and headed for security at Gatwick. The twilight check in had made it much less stressful and we’d booked fastpasses through security too.

Once through security we headed for the Clubroom Lounge we had booked. It was quiet and they opened up another room just as we arrived so we got the window seats for the girls.

Breakfast in the the lounge was eggs Royale for Morgan, bacon roll with brown sauce Millie, full English breakfast for the grown ups!

The food was good, service was good. Plenty of croissants, coffee, soft drinks etc too. It was quiet and just what we needed.

The announcement boards system wasn’t working so we had to head for some large whiteboards that had been brought in and then head at speed to gate 27. I cannot praise the BA staff highly enough – they saw us coming with the lanyards, beckoned us over and under the rope and put us in the first to board area – no fuss no questions, no stress – thank you.

Boarding early meant we were able to have sorted all the stuff required for the trip and be sat ready to go before the rest of the cabin came on. No hussle and bustle. Again thanks BA.

Steve and Morgan had extra legroom seats with the cabin crews seat in front of them and Millie and I sat behind – the girls had the window seats – albeit Morgan’s didn’t have a window – ooops.

The third person in my row was a lovely lady whose family were sat over the way on the same row as Steve and Morgan. The chap who was sat next to Steve got on, sat down and promptly reclined fully - why do people do that - he wasn’t planning on sleeping either – he spent the entire flight watching his ipad – the poor lady next to me didn’t have room to read a magazine!

The seats were lovely and comfy (Millie say no more comfy that the Virgin ones and that I only found them more comfy as I had lost some weight – cheeky, but possibly true!)

The food was good, me Steve and Morgan had chicken curry with millionaires shortbread pudding. Millie didn’t fancy the Childs food which was chicken nuggets mash and veg so Morgan got to have some of that too.

It was a long flight – I know it’s a long way but it really felt a long flight today.

Even with chocolate

I think the drive yesterday and the stay didn’t feel like the start of the holiday and more the journey – so we’ll rethink how we do it next time.

Dibb law required photo from window

Finally we were at Tampa , Immigration was a little slow but eventually got to baggage collect and found our cases already riding on the carousel. Car pick up was a long way away so you go on monorail – first of the holiday.

Then another. (and so begins the funny face pulling) Note this year’s Disney planning folder is red lol and I look like no one could prise it from me on this photo !

The car was part of the BA fly drive so with Avis, we had a Dodge Grand Caravan like last years (but not as new or clean as last years from Alamo). We still had a drive ahead so we took off for the road without dropping the sat nav and breaking it this year - but making sure we had Map Mans map open as well!

The travel to Orlando was slow with traffic, two accidents but only took about an hour and a half.

We called in at Walmart on the way so I could grab essentials, water, milk ,cereal, etc. Millie came in with me – the million dollar question after last year was did we see the big vat of cheeseballs – yes we did – did we buy one – no! but we did get some huge bags of spicy Cheetos which will make an appearance later.

At last we were back on our way and the wonderful gates were in view

quickly followed by Port Orleans French Quarter.

I had requested a corner room if possible; on the top floor we got exactly that, room 7323– Disney magic already. Brilliant. and we headed to the room.

After getting the bags up to the room the kids grabbed an Angus bacon cheeseburger and chips
and some nuggets
along with a Praline Mickey
and and a Mardi Gras King cake
and we filled the refillable mugs and ate tea at what was 9.30pm local time – about 2am to us. Steve and I shared a baguette I had bought in Walmart about 15 inches long with turkey, lettuce, American cheese, ham and beef with mustard and mayonnaise
and he insisted as we were at Disney we did it lady and the tramp style – I’m not sure who’s more Disney mad this year – I’d say him right now!

We hit bed and slept instantly

Night Night folks, Tomorrow Hollywood Studios and Epcot

Index is HERE
Feb 2011 All Stars Resort, Aug 2017 Port Orleans Riverside & HRH, Aug 2018 Port Orleans French Quarter, Aug 2019 Wilderness Lodge HRH & Contemporary, Feb 2020 Grand Floridian, Aug 2021 Disney Dream, Dec 21 Beach Club & Wilderness Lodge, Feb 22 Port Orleans Riverside, July 22 Port Orleans French Quarter, Feb 23 Staybright Suites Offsite (never again )
bigshaz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 18, 12:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Gev
Imagineer

Mobile

Oh we love French Quarter and are going back next July. We are hoping to be allocated Building 7 as that's where we've stayed before - actually Just along from the room you had; we were in 7325 a couple of years ago. Great spot overlooking the frog fountain. Great travel day! Looking forward to more! Xx
Old 12 Nov 18, 12:12 AM  
Link to this Post
MadHatter1
VIP Dibber

MadHatter1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 1
great report! love POFQ and Tampa Airport.
2017 Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW)>. > - The Return of Three Jedi
2018 Rosen Inn at Pointe (Int. Dr.), HRH (Uni)>. > - Rogue One
2019 Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW)>. > - 12 Parsecs
MadHatter1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 18, 08:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
I live that your holding on tightly to your planner! I enjoyed last years cheese balls report so im loolomg forward to this. I hope you had a brilliant time! Also, looking forward to tips about POFQ we're there next summer!

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 19, 08:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Jessika
Apprentice Imagineer

Great travel day, Hoping there is more to come.
Jessika is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 19, 09:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Cinderella
Imagineer

Mobile

You have arrived - great start 👍
Cinderella is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List