Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 22 Feb 19, 10:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Dazed
VIP Dibber

We are a family of 7 (9 when my parents travel with us) and we always travel hand luggage only.

You can take disposable razors, nail clippers, nail scissors, tweezers etc in your hand luggage.

We take face creams, toothpaste and face sun cream in the plastic liquids bags, then buy anything else when we are there.

We pack an empty rucksack flat in each carry on case for any excess luggage/purchases coming home.

We recently travelled to Disney for Christmas and stayed for almost 6 weeks. We had no problems with luggage and our teen boys went home with the rucksacks still empty in their cases.
Dazed is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 19, 10:27 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

We are going hand baggage only for the first time this year. We have averaged around 11kg each (2 adults and boys of 16 and 12) on each of our last 3 trips and that is using normal, medium suitcases. As we have 4 flights in all (two internal) over the 3 week period this time, then the cost and inconvenience would be considerable.
We have 3 days in Boston, 3 in NY and then reach Dayton OH (3 nights), where there are washing and drying facilities. It is then on to 2 hotel nights in Orlando before taking occupancy of our Villa, which will be on day 12. Only then will we be able to catch up totally with washing.
I am confident that we can do it easily, provided we actually fly relatively heavy with Camera, IPad, phones etc being carried in pockets, on belts etc.
We have booked hold baggage and meals on our home journey with Norwegian and from Miami. Our reasoning was that food is expensive in US airports and therefore along with allocated seats and in flight meals £50pp was a good deal, particularly as 2 of us have exit row seats. The fact that we have also hold baggage in that price is incidental as I doubt that we will need it.

For us, the bulkiest item is traditionally towels. We are not taking any.
As for the rest, in addition to what we stand up in, it is shorts, t shirts, pants and flip flops plus minimal toiletries and charging wires. We will be wearing our jackets, phones, camera etc.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 10:44 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 19, 10:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Hootietootie
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Cabin max bags are fab for doing carry on only. We did Disneyland Paris in the winter of 2010(with all the snow) hand luggage only, I had enough for 4 days for me and two kids-their carry on consisted of a teeny bag each filled with stuff for the plane. We had trousers, leggings, tights, hoodies, fleeces, spare shoes etc in it. Could defo for enough for 2 weeks in Florida in it-just bring a light coat and a hoodie/cardie on plane with heaviest shoes
Hootietootie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 19, 12:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Queen of Herts
Imagineer

Queen of Herts's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Hand luggage only for us too with lightweight empty holdalls inside for the return flight. The less you take the less you have to sort out and put away when you get home. It’s quite liberating, just wear your heaviest items, 10kg is actually a good amount plus hand bag etc.
Queen of Herts is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 19, 01:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Northerndave
Being a bit Goofy

Pack for a few days, only clothes/shoes/medicines. Anything else such as razors/toiletries/washing stuff is bought from Walmart/Dollar Tree/Walgreens and left behind. Wear Jeans, Hoody and heaviest shoes on plane.

All depends on who you book with. Thomas Cook has a 5-6kg allowance, you'll really struggle. You need 10kg ideally.

Tip about Cabin Max is good. Home Bargains also sell good cabin luggage.

I've also heard stories of people who buy Primani just for the holidays and leave their clothes behind and bring back purchases made in the States.

Not for me though, I love finding bargains and returning home with them. However as I stay in Villas, the thought of hand-luggage only, the poor exchange rate and ditching the suitcase fees grows stronger each visit.
Old 23 Feb 19, 01:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Brewers
Excited about Disney

Thanks for the replies all, much appreciated, hand luggage only is looking even more appealing.
Brewers is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 19, 01:55 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

We are going handluggage only this year and did the same last trip. It is so nice to just walk out of the airport without the baggage hassle and I just find it generally less stressful.

DH says he takes one razor.
We take some travel sized shampoo etc and buy full size when we arrive.

Last year we did bring a checked bag home. We have a folding bag that we take out with us. This year I’m considering trying to manage without as it will make life easier in Heathrow on our return.
We try and pack for 5/7 days and then wash once or twice. In a villa it’s even easier as you can wash as often as you want.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 19, 05:47 PM  
Link to this Post
wez
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

We’re doing this for the first time this year. I posted your exact same question a few weeks ago & got some great tips I’m really confident our 8kg limit is doable!
wez is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 19, 08:18 PM  
Link to this Post
familybell
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Not sure who your flying with but some airlines might take your luggage off you at the gate and put it in the hold if it’s a busy flight, I’ve had this happen on Flybe and easyJet although not sure how other airlines operate this
familybell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 19, 12:08 PM  
Link to this Post
7SeasSailor
Imagineer

You must have something really important and exciting factored in to put that hour or so to good use.