Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 1 Apr 20, 11:15 PM  
Link to this Post
lottiesmum0
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Just reading through this- we are due to fly the end of July and I wasn’t panicking until I read this.
We are with Nationwide and always found them to be ok but I just see the responses they have made to the very questions I have also got just shocking.
We will be are in the situation where we have paid an amount to the flights and some accommodation deposits - I was thinking as deadlines approached we could pay and wait till closer to the time to see what the advice was. However this now seems that we are going to be forced into impossible decisions. Not happy at all :-(
Old 2 Apr 20, 07:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Noodle500
Imagineer

Originally Posted by lottiesmum0 View Post
Just reading through this- we are due to fly the end of July and I wasn’t panicking until I read this.
We are with Nationwide and always found them to be ok but I just see the responses they have made to the very questions I have also got just shocking.
We will be are in the situation where we have paid an amount to the flights and some accommodation deposits - I was thinking as deadlines approached we could pay and wait till closer to the time to see what the advice was. However this now seems that we are going to be forced into impossible decisions. Not happy at all :-(
It seems there has been two contradictory responses from Nationwide so that casts doubt on the person's abilities to advise on travel insurance. Maybe they normally advise on house claims.
The best way forward is to contact them direct, someway you can keep evidence, with your own travel situation.
We're DIY for August so we've paid for flights, car hire and a fair chunk of accommodation in full. That's a different trip to a package holiday so I may need to ask the question a different way.
Noodle500 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Apr 20, 09:26 AM  
Link to this Post
steve30
Very Serious Dibber

I don't think anybody should worry, and my advice is if you think you might go you should pay your balances.

Whats clear is this:

1) You cannot claim on your travel insurance for cancellation unless the FCO advice says that you can't travel within 28 days of your departure date. ie if travelling August 28th, if the FCO advice is still in place to not undertake travel to the USA on August 1st then you can claim.
2) Most balances are paid at 60 days - therefore you cannot cancel at this point and make a claim on your insurance
3) You cannot claim on your travel insurance because you don't want to go, it has to be for cancellation based on FCO advice (in this Corona Virus instance)
4) If you don't pay your balance and the FCO advice changes to being allowed to travel then you would not be able to claim your deposit(s) back
5) Always should try and get refunds from tour operators / airlines/ agents first before claiming on insurance.

Edited at 09:28 AM.
steve30 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Apr 20, 10:03 AM  
Link to this Post
lottiesmum0
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Noodle500 View Post
It seems there has been two contradictory responses from Nationwide so that casts doubt on the person's abilities to advise on travel insurance. Maybe they normally advise on house claims.
The best way forward is to contact them direct, someway you can keep evidence, with your own travel situation.
We're DIY for August so we've paid for flights, car hire and a fair chunk of accommodation in full. That's a different trip to a package holiday so I may need to ask the question a different way.
We are a DIY not package - just paid deposits on most things so far, but when you are going for a month it adds up a bit!
Old 2 Apr 20, 10:05 AM  
Link to this Post
lottiesmum0
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by steve30 View Post
I don't think anybody should worry, and my advice is if you think you might go you should pay your balances.

Whats clear is this:

1) You cannot claim on your travel insurance for cancellation unless the FCO advice says that you can't travel within 28 days of your departure date. ie if travelling August 28th, if the FCO advice is still in place to not undertake travel to the USA on August 1st then you can claim.
2) Most balances are paid at 60 days - therefore you cannot cancel at this point and make a claim on your insurance
3) You cannot claim on your travel insurance because you don't want to go, it has to be for cancellation based on FCO advice (in this Corona Virus instance)
4) If you don't pay your balance and the FCO advice changes to being allowed to travel then you would not be able to claim your deposit(s) back
5) Always should try and get refunds from tour operators / airlines/ agents first before claiming on insurance.
I get that - but Nationwide are saying that any additional monies paid after March 18th will not be valid X
Old 2 Apr 20, 10:21 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

I am struggling with the concept that a business that is still in business can simply dump its very clear liabilities (to we customers) onto a third party (the Insurance Company).

That is akin to me selling you a television, refusing to give you it, whilst telling you to claim on your insurance, then selling more televisions to other people tomorrow.

I have no interest in a company that owes me money, other than they abide by both the law and their own, issued contract whilst they remain in business. If they go out of business, then fine. That makes things easier through both card and insurance.

BA tried to give me a credit note for my cancelled flights. I refused as I had total confidence that they would then bang the prices right up for the length of time that they know credit notes were valid, and then return to normal pricing around May 2021, when the credit notes have become worthless.
I got my refund, searched for a new set of flights and found AA considerably cheaper than BA on the same aircraft (Codeshare). I booked with AA and of course if I don’t go , their terms say they will issue me with a credit note, allow me to move dates up to a year and also move destinations and departures. That credit would kick in on Aug 19 2020 and last until Aug 18 2020. That will outdistance the credit notes of others by several months (4-5). Of course, it would tie me to AA.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 10:45 AM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Apr 20, 11:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Rossmasa
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by lottiesmum0 View Post
I get that - but Nationwide are saying that any additional monies paid after March 18th will not be valid X
I don't think they mean if you pay an outstanding balance on a booking you made before the 18th .

They are meaning if you change your booking by upgrading or something they will not cover you for additional costs.

For example your original booking is for Allstars and its only costing you £2000 , you upgrade or change after 18th March to Grand Floridian for £10000 , if you make a claim they will only pay out £2000. not £10,000.
Caribbean Beach Resort August 2016
Coronado Springs Resort August 2014, 2015, 2017 2018, 2019 (Gran Destino)
Art Of Animation December 2021 2022
Pop Century May 2023 & Christmas New Year 2023/2024
Rossmasa is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Apr 20, 11:29 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Rossmasa View Post
I don't think they mean if you pay an outstanding balance on a booking you made before the 18th .

They are meaning if you change your booking by upgrading or something they will not cover you for additional costs.

For example your original booking is for Allstars and its only costing you £2000 , you upgrade or change after 18th March to Grand Floridian for £10000 , if you make a claim they will only pay out £2000. not £10,000.
This is how I read it too
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Apr 20, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Jagnew
Gone all Goofy

I think the situation is that vouchers or credit is being offered in the first instance, otherwise the airlines/travel agents would not be able to survive if they were forced to refund everyone within 14 days. I’m sure I read if you can’t use the vouchers or credit then you can still get a refund but at a much later date. This was what ABTA was posting on their website when I checked more than a week ago
Jagnew is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Apr 20, 04:31 PM  
Link to this Post
lottiesmum0
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
This is how I read it too
Ah that makes me feel better!
I’ve got a bit of time yet so I’ll ring and check nearer the time