Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 31 Mar 20, 05:49 PM  
Link to this Post
BruTamUK
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by dotb View Post
Hmm well I’ve just had a reply from Nationwide it seems that if you amend dates and don’t have to pay extra then you still have cover but if you have to pay more then that is counted as a new booking, also any upgrades to a pre 18/3 booking also mean no Coronavirus cover.

With the other thread saying how virgin are charging more to change dates even if the flights actually show cheaper online, it appears there’s no insurance advantage to amending dates
Thanks for that info.
Did they mention if you are still covered if you pay the balance remaining on bookings? This would be for travel in July/August time which at the minute is still on.
BruTamUK is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 20, 05:59 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by BruTamUK View Post
Thanks for that info.
Did they mention if you are still covered if you pay the balance remaining on bookings? This would be for travel in July/August time which at the minute is still on.
This is their reply

I'm sorry that the automated message didn't answer your question this time round!

You're quite right that your travel insurance with your FlexPlus will not cover you for trips in the UK or abroad booked on or after 18 March, now that the risks of Coronavirus are known.

This applies to flights and accommodation.

This also applies to any new upgrades you may be purchasing for trips booked before 18 March 2020.

As long as you are not paying anything further to your trip you'll be covered, but anything further you may need to pay, you won't be covered for, as this will be a new purchase.

When you do travel again, if you unfortunately catch Coronavirus, you would be cover, as this is a trip you booked before the 18th March 2020.

I read that as anything extra to pay or paying extra to change dates after 18/3 means no cover even for medical if you were to catch it
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 20, 06:02 PM  
Link to this Post
BruTamUK
Excited about Disney

Mobile

This is their reply

I'm sorry that the automated message didn't answer your question this time round!

You're quite right that your travel insurance with your FlexPlus will not cover you for trips in the UK or abroad booked on or after 18 March, now that the risks of Coronavirus are known.

This applies to flights and accommodation.

This also applies to any new upgrades you may be purchasing for trips booked before 18 March 2020.

As long as you are not paying anything further to your trip you'll be covered, but anything further you may need to pay, you won't be covered for, as this will be a new purchase.

When you do travel again, if you unfortunately catch Coronavirus, you would be cover, as this is a trip you booked before the 18th March 2020.

I read that as anything extra to pay or paying extra to change dates after 18/3 means no cover even for medical if you were to catch it
This but "As long as you are not paying anything further to your trip you'll be covered, but anything further you may need to pay, you won't be covered for, as this will be a new purchase."

That doesn't fill me with any confidence that the remaining balance due on our pre march 18th booking will be covered!
BruTamUK is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 20, 06:11 PM  
Link to this Post

This but "As long as you are not paying anything further to your trip you'll be covered, but anything further you may need to pay, you won't be covered for, as this will be a new purchase."

That doesn't fill me with any confidence that the remaining balance due on our pre march 18th booking will be covered!
Exactly what I was thinking.

Same as not being covered if Virgin charge more for the flights, currently they’re about the same price as I paid when looking online, but I have seen that Virgin are using excuses about fare classes to charge more- in which case I wouldn’t bother no point if there’s no insurance whether I change dates or get a refund and book again later!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 20, 06:30 PM  
Link to this Post
BruTamUK
Excited about Disney

I have just contacted Nationwide specifically to ask about balance payments due over the next few months for bookings made pre 18th of March.
I'll await their response.
Old 31 Mar 20, 06:41 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

I have just contacted Nationwide specifically to ask about balance payments due over the next few months for bookings made pre 18th of March.
I'll await their response.
I do hope you hear soon. It’s all very confusing. I took it to mean any bookings made before the specified date was covered irrespective of when the balance was paid. But now it’s not looking so clear

I used web chat yesterday who simply told me that they couldn’t answer the question and said ring the contact number which I did, to be told they would not answer any queries unless due to travel in 48 hours. Not good service at all. I agree that the phone lines should be for emergencies but I waited 20 minutes to speak to webchat who were useless
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 20, 08:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Noodle500
Imagineer

Maybe it means that the extra cost of rescheduling isn't covered. For example original holiday cost £5000. The holiday you reschedule to costs £6000. Nationwide would insure your original amount of £5000 rather than the £6000. If rescheduled booking gets cancelled then your insurance payment would cover the £5000 only,the original booking value

Medical expenses are not linked to cost of holiday so cover would remain the same

Edited at 08:42 PM.
Noodle500 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 20, 08:57 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Noodle500 View Post
Maybe it means that the extra cost of rescheduling isn't covered. For example original holiday cost £5000. The holiday you reschedule to costs £6000. Nationwide would insure your original amount of £5000 rather than the £6000. If rescheduled booking gets cancelled then your insurance payment would cover the £5000 only,the original booking value

Medical expenses are not linked to cost of holiday so cover would remain the same
That tends to make sense. I just wish they would clarify it, as at the moment no one seems sure of where they stand
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 20, 10:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Noodle500
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
That tends to make sense. I just wish they would clarify it, as at the moment no one seems sure of where they stand
While most travellers would go for a like for like package some may think this is my last time with virus cover and I'm going for a big summer blowout and go on to spend an extra £10,000. That's not Nationwide want to happen.

Hopefully the question on cover for balances to be paid will be asked so many times they will have to update their FAQ on their website
Noodle500 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 20, 10:42 PM  
Link to this Post
familybell
Apprentice Imagineer

This is their reply

I read this as any additions, such as tickets, new hotel rooms etc that weren’t part of the original booking but an add on later, would certainly make more sense as I can’t see how they can refuse cover if your amended booking costs slightly more
familybell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List