Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 30 Mar 20, 10:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Fraggle35
Very Serious Dibber

Do your kids say prayers ?

Just as I was going to sleep last night a childhood prayer jumped into my head and started me thinking. My children were encouraged to brush their hair and teeth and then say their prayers before jumping into bed.Their grandma and great grandma used to do the same and I was just wondering if prayers are still encouraged in small children or are they out of fashion? Not interested in your religion etc but does this still happen nowadays ?
Fraggle35 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 20, 10:26 PM  
Link to this Post
BarryandCaron
Imagineer

BarryandCaron's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
Mobile

I never encouraged our children but I can remember I said my prayers each night.
Old 30 Mar 20, 10:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Fraggle35
Very Serious Dibber

Yes it's weird, not sure if it's a "thing " I would do with my grandchildren, when they come along, would have to ask my two daughters first I think... seems a little old fashioned now.
Fraggle35 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 20, 10:42 PM  
Link to this Post
RM2016
Imagineer

RM2016's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Not so much a prayer but we have a wee chat at bedtime about what each of the children are thankful for and think about any of their friends that are going through a hard time and thinking of a little thing we can do to help.
RM2016 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 20, 10:50 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

No prayers in our house. I associate prayers with religion, which we are not religious, therefore no praying. 🙂
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 20, 11:08 PM  
Link to this Post
mushumadness
VIP Dibber

mushumadness's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 6
No mine don’t
We don’t practise any religions at home
We do
Make sure to say goodnight and I love you

Edited at 07:17 AM.
mushumadness is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 20, 11:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Junogirl1
VIP Dibber

Junogirl1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11
Restaurant Reviews: 8

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
Growing up, I used to. But that was when I went to a religious school, even though I was not religious. Once I left the school, the praying stopped. My parents never prayed either. Then again, my mother’s parents were atheists as are my parents, but my father grew up Catholic so shouldn’t he have? I honestly can’t say I know many people in my generation (born in 93) who did/do say prayers.
Hope this helps.

Edited at 11:26 PM.
Junogirl1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 20, 01:21 AM  
Link to this Post
making49
Imagineer

making49's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 7
I did with my grandma, the one I remember was

As I lay my down to sleep
I pray the Lord my soul to keep
If I should die before I awake
I pray the Lord my soul shall take

It used to frighten me, I was convinced I would die one night! Not ideal.
Old 31 Mar 20, 02:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Vinniecat
Imagineer

Originally Posted by making49 View Post
I did with my grandma, the one I remember was

As I lay my down to sleep
I pray the Lord my soul to keep
If I should die before I awake
I pray the Lord my soul shall take

It used to frighten me, I was convinced I would die one night! Not ideal.
I said this one as well. My no wonder I had nightmares b
Vinniecat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 20, 07:15 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

No religion in our house, so no prayers.

Religion was driven out of me in the 1960s and 1970s by the fact that in Schools it was compulsory. We all had to stand there like parrots and talk/sing the indoctrination. Same in Cubs/Scouts.

Religion became actively disliked by me when I joined the Army and was made to stay on barracks every 4th Sunday weekend for Church Parade. We were marched up in uniform, then marched back. You could refuse to enter if an atheist in and stand outside, in file and stood at ease, rain or shine, wrecking your no2 dress uniform and it’s creases in the event of rain and necessitating hours of reparative work afterwards..

I have absolutely nothing against those who do believe. I just hated the fact that in my formative years, I had no choice. This moved me in belief from Agnostic to Atheist.

In Weddings/Funerals I stand silent for both Prayers and Hymns. I would never kneel down.

On Remembrance Day, I do attend the memorial whilst the service is held. That is out of respect for the people who gave their lives and doubtless (from its time), what they would have mainly wanted. Again, no singing and silence on ‘amens’.

The question was asked and answered. That is my explanation why.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 07:19 AM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List