Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 1 Apr 20, 11:11 AM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Your home, too big, too small, time to move?

We moved last year, we probably bought a house that some people would believe is to big for two people. However, we have realised how good it is to have space and a big garden when you cant go out.

Has lockdown made you reflect on where you live, do you need more or less space, less open plan, more rooms or a different location when your home all the time and will it make you think about moving?
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Apr 20, 11:13 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

3 of us in a four bed house

perfect for us as we all have plenty room to be apart especially in times like now
novocastrian is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Apr 20, 11:33 AM  
Link to this Post
catherinesian
Imagineer

We moved end last year and increased our living space by 50%. Only the 2 of us in what is technically a 5 bed (although one is basically another reception room on ground floor) but we did it to future proof ourselves for when we are ready to start a family. We won't need to move again hopefully for 20+ years or maybe never!

It's been amazing during lockdown, I am so glad we managed to move before it all kicked off It's meant both of us can work from home in separate 'offices' which we would have really struggled with in the old house. We also have miles of countryside on our doorstep which we can appreciate in our 1 outing per day

The only downside is if one or both of us faces furlough / redundancy we might struggle to pay our increased mortgage payments. I don't think it will come to that however.

Next trip to WDW Sept 2024 for our Wedding

Edited at 11:36 AM.
catherinesian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Apr 20, 11:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Mobile

I love where I live and always have but with lockdown it’s made me appreciate it even more. We have so much open space which means we can go for walks and not see anyone.
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Apr 20, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post
evergreen
Imagineer

Mobile

I have wanted to down size to a more manageable home (cleaning & maintaining) there are 6 of us but DS doesn’t live at home, we have 5 bedrooms non small, 3 & conservatory reception rooms, wrap around private gardens, oh I am so grateful more so for the gardens, so glad at the moment for my home.
Old 1 Apr 20, 11:54 AM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

We have a 3 bed house for 3 people, but will probably be 2 people in the next year or two when my son gets his own place. We still want to move to a detached house outside of London.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Apr 20, 11:57 AM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Mobile

We bought a 1900 2 up 2 down mid terrace in 2018 as a b project, and our first home together.
It has 2 bedrooms upstairs and that is it, a massive one and one that just fits a double bed in. However downstairs has 2 little extensions, one that had the tiniest galley kitchen, and also the tiniest bathroom, and a lean to for a utility room/storage room.
The positives are that our bedroom is a lovely big size, we made the existing dining room into a kitchen and made it all open plan, and we love the street and the neighbours (on the whole)
It is just us two and the dog however, and so we are in the process of buying a 3 bed semi, the master is much smaller, but it has a driveway, garden for the dog and room to hopefully start a family, this is obviously firmly on hold at the moment.
DH has had to close his business, so is at home, and I am trying to work from home.
We have no room for a desk or mini office, so I’m working from the sofa, but it means DH can’t watch tv etc, not ideal
Old 1 Apr 20, 12:01 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

We often talk about downsizing when it's just the 2 of us but we have 2 very large dogs and we're used to the space inside and out so I really don't know if and when it'll happen.

There are 3 of us here at the moment, although DD's room is still left for her despite her having never returned since she went to Uni 5 1/2 years ago, we have 5 bedrooms, but use one as a 'lounge' for DS where he has his PS4 et. & the smaller one was fitted out as an office by the previous owners who extended the kitchen/utility into the downstairs study.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Apr 20, 12:05 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

2 adults and boys of 17,14.

Living within 250 yds of Penryn Wharf.

4 bed, 2 bathroom with a Lounge, a Kitchen Diner, a utility and a cloakroom downstairs.
We have an attached double garage and as soon as this mess is over, a builder will be converting one of the garages into a dining room.
All that remains to be done then is a sun room on the back of the lounge in order to utilise some nice views and a half decent garden.

4 years old and with plastic everything, so hopefully no/ little maintenance in my later years.

A small and rapidly shrinking mortgage.

I do not intend moving again.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 12:06 PM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Apr 20, 12:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
We have a strangely designed 3 bedroom house and only us 2 here.

As it was built just post war and under license they did some weird things!
For example the landing has an area on it that will take a 3 seater sofa under the window! Totally wasted space but would take a spiral for a loft conversion if somebody wanted to - not for us!

Will we move? I very much doubt it as I have never seen a house of this price, this size and this location with a 28ft x 15ft lounge and that is the big win for us.

Sad to say we just rattle around in it though and being older the maintenance is high as is the energy consumption.

We love it and have been here 34 years.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List