Notices
Intro's and Welcomes Introduce yourself and be welcomed into our community.

Old 14 Nov 19, 10:19 PM  
Link to this Post
charlz_29
Getting to know the DIBB

Wink And so it begins...

Hello

I've been thinking about booking a trip to Orlando at least for the past 3 years. No one that I knew were particularly thrilled with the idea of going to Florida, probably because it's not exactly a cheap holiday

However after watching Disney/Universal vlogs and reading posts on this website as well as Facebook page, it made me more determined to go.

And soo...a minute of madness later during the August Bank Holiday I sorta, kinda booked a solo trip to Universal in January 2020 for my birthday! I've booked a 5 night stay at Cabana Bay Beach Resort including flights, transfers and 3-park Universal tickets with Virgin Holidays. I also took advantage of a sale they had at the time where they chucked in the V-room Lounge for free

I'm well excited for it but I can't lie, I am also slightly daunted with it being my very first ever solo trip. (Any tips would be greatly appreciated)

I look forward to blogging this trip. I suppose it'll give me something to do when I'm alone in my hotel room in the evenings

Edited at 11:02 PM.
charlz_29 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 19, 10:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Juliemack
waiting impatiently...!

Juliemack's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Hi and welcome to the Dibb

Lots of Dibb members have done solo trips (you might have already read some of their trippies?) they all seem to have a great time just being able to please themselves. No need to sit in your hotel room of an evening, there are plenty of places around Citywalk to sit and people watch while enjoying a beer/cocktail/coke or whatever takes your fancy.
Juliemack is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 19, 10:32 PM  
Link to this Post
YLL
Imagineer

Mobile

Congratulations on taking the plunge on your first solo holiday! I'm sorry to say, it probably won't be the last one 😉

You'll have a fab time, 5 nights is short but sweet for a first time, and as you are planning to do only Universal it sounds about right. If you have time, I'd recommend going to a Disney park for a day or even just an After Hours evening (3 hours after the park has closed to the general public with little to no queues for rides), or at least exploring Disney Springs.

Whatever you decide to do, you'll have a blast. And you'll be back, it's like a (good) curse.
YLL is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 19, 10:54 PM  
Link to this Post
charlz_29
Getting to know the DIBB

Originally Posted by YLL View Post
Congratulations on taking the plunge on your first solo holiday! I'm sorry to say, it probably won't be the last one 😉

You'll have a fab time, 5 nights is short but sweet for a first time, and as you are planning to do only Universal it sounds about right. If you have time, I'd recommend going to a Disney park for a day or even just an After Hours evening (3 hours after the park has closed to the general public with little to no queues for rides), or at least exploring Disney Springs.

Whatever you decide to do, you'll have a blast. And you'll be back, it's like a (good) curse.
Thank you! I was looking at the After Hours Party at Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom however it doesn't fit with the days I'm there. It looks like the only one I'll be able to go to will be on my arrival night. Not sure I'd be up for it after such a long travel day.

I deffo intend on going Disney Springs though. I may even plan to have a light dinner at the Tambu lounge in the Polynesian on my actual birthday! I saw the Lapu Lapu was served in a pineapple and that just sold it for me lol. Also, everyone seems to rave about the Ohana bread pudding so I thought it'll be a good way of trying it without having to book a dining reservation etc.
Old 14 Nov 19, 10:57 PM  
Link to this Post
charlz_29
Getting to know the DIBB

Originally Posted by Juliemack View Post
Hi and welcome to the Dibb

Lots of Dibb members have done solo trips (you might have already read some of their trippies?) they all seem to have a great time just being able to please themselves. No need to sit in your hotel room of an evening, there are plenty of places around Citywalk to sit and people watch while enjoying a beer/cocktail/coke or whatever takes your fancy.
Thanks for the welcome! I've been reading some reports on solo trips on this website and they're all so interesting!I'll deffo be trying a cocktail (or 7!) in City Walk.
Old 14 Nov 19, 11:06 PM  
Link to this Post
YLL
Imagineer

Originally Posted by charlz_29 View Post
Thank you! I was looking at the After Hours Party at Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom however it doesn't fit with the days I'm there. It looks like the only one I'll be able to go to will be on my arrival night. Not sure I'd be up for it after such a long travel day.

I deffo intend on going Disney Springs though. I may even plan to have a light dinner at the Tambu lounge in the Polynesian on my actual birthday! I saw the Lapu Lapu was served in a pineapple and that just sold it for me lol. Also, everyone seems to rave about the Ohana bread pudding so I thought it'll be a good way of trying it without having to book a dining reservation etc.
Definitely do not plan an After Hours event on your arrival night, you'll be too tired. Just enjoy food at your hotel and go to sleep as soon as your body tells you to. You'll be up at 4 or 5am the next day for sure, so take it easy and don't force yourself to stay up late on the first full day, just enjoy the day!

Great idea to visit the Poly though, the Lapu Lapu is great but be warned, it is huge (think twice the size of a pineapple in a UK supermarket) and they don't hold back on the rum! It's delicious though. The Ohana bread pudding is great too, probably the best thing served at Ohana anyway lol. Do try to go to Trader Sam"s before the Tambu lounge, for the antics, effects and atmosphere. Definitely worth going, it's not your average cocktail bar!

Edited at 11:07 PM.
YLL is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List