Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 3 Dec 19, 09:25 AM  
Link to this Post
toots82
VIP Dibber

1 hour 20 at gatwick on return?

Sorry I know I mentioned this is my last thread but thought maybe if I was more specific I would get more replies.

Is 1 hour 20 mins enough of a layover on way home to glasgow from Tampa? Apparently both flights are to/from south terminal.

Edited at 09:26 AM.
toots82 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 19, 09:29 AM  
Link to this Post
scottishmum
Imagineer

scottishmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
I would take that yes, we had once a one hour layover for the Glasgow flight, we were delayed coming in and just made it.
They knew there were others connecting on the flight and they did wait a bit for them .

More likely to land early actually than late.
Old 3 Dec 19, 09:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

Mobile

Same terminal, but you do have to clear immigration and go back through security.

Should be ok if the transatlantic is more or less on time, immigration maybe a bit less predictable if you have young children and can’t use the egates.
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 19, 10:26 AM  
Link to this Post
thatdavieguy
Imagineer

We've done it twice in the past, both times taking the early flight out of MCO so that we could get an early connection back to Glasgow. Last time we were scheduled to arrive around 7.30 and depart for Glasgow at 8.55, our flight from MCO arrived earlier so we ended up with more time.

1hr 20m is honestly fine
Old 3 Dec 19, 10:28 AM  
Link to this Post
toots82
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I'm torn. We can do edinburgh or glasgow. (We live in fife so closer to edinburgh it's a 15 min drive) Edinburgh has 3.5 hour layover and finally lands in edi at around 1pm. Glasgow has 1 hrs 20 min layover and lands around 11am. It's a longer drive to get home so it would take just over an hour.
toots82 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 19, 11:11 AM  
Link to this Post

I would always go for Edinburgh if the price is the same. It took us ages to get back from Glasgow at 1pm a few weeks ago because the traffic along the M8 was so heavy (before the Stirling turn off).

I wouldn’t feel comfortable with less than 2 hours in Gatwick. It can take a while to get through immigration and security, then you’ve got a trek to the gate once you’re airside. The next flights are in the evening which means a very long wait if you miss your connection.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 19, 12:38 PM  
Link to this Post
toots82
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Hollie04 View Post
I would always go for Edinburgh if the price is the same. It took us ages to get back from Glasgow at 1pm a few weeks ago because the traffic along the M8 was so heavy (before the Stirling turn off).

I wouldn’t feel comfortable with less than 2 hours in Gatwick. It can take a while to get through immigration and security, then you’ve got a trek to the gate once you’re airside. The next flights are in the evening which means a very long wait if you miss your connection.
DH just said the same about traffic, Edinburgh is £100 cheaper too
Old 3 Dec 19, 02:01 PM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

Ed...less stress lower cost.

Disney332
Old 3 Dec 19, 02:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

Originally Posted by toots82 View Post
I'm torn. We can do edinburgh or glasgow. (We live in fife so closer to edinburgh it's a 15 min drive) Edinburgh has 3.5 hour layover and finally lands in edi at around 1pm. Glasgow has 1 hrs 20 min layover and lands around 11am. It's a longer drive to get home so it would take just over an hour.
With that additional information, in your position I would choose EDI and the longer layover in LGW.

At best it sounds like you’d gain just over an hour going via GLA in terms of the arrival time at home, and while the shorter connection could well be absolutely introduces a bit more rush and stress when there is a pretty good alternative available. Also cheaper and a shorter drive for the driver at the end (if you are driving yourselves). Depends how crucial that hour is, I guess.
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 19, 02:47 PM  
Link to this Post
toots82
VIP Dibber

Thanks everyone, we've booked!

Went for the Edinburgh option, to Tampa via Gatwick both ways with 3.5 hour stop over each way. Includes 21 day SUV (Edge size) rental with Avis and a night in RPR. £2400 total for 4 of us.