Imagineer

summersun's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
fab to get on all them rides in 6 hours

shame about the traffic

cant wait to see pics
http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/show...=gonna+get+wed
our dreams can come true pre trip report nov 14 cbbr nov 14
summersun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Apr 18, 08:27 PM  
Link to this Post
jo21977
Excited about Disney

Be sure to ride California Screamin, we loved it! Queues were really quick and fairly short in August! The California Adventure park has a lovely laid back feel!
Old 4 Apr 18, 08:32 PM  
Link to this Post
jo21977
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by jo21977 View Post
Be sure to ride California Screamin, we loved it! Queues were really quick and fairly short in August! The California Adventure park has a lovely laid back feel!
Just saw that it's closed, what a shame! Get a good spot for World of Colour! Wow it's just amazing!
Old 5 Apr 18, 02:41 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Day 8. California Adventure Park. ‘The bare necessities’. 😏

Despite assertions that it was 'impossible', we walked to Disney from our Airbnb .. A whole 1.9 miles flat and level along Katella.
The park was absolutely heaving and to be honest, not very pleasant. Whilst finished and themed to the standard that you would expect in Disney Orlando, the custom was rather different . In addition, many rides were closed including Bugs life, California screaming, Mickeys fun wheel and others, 9 in all. By 1130, many fast passes were closed for the day. All in all a disappointing experience, other than a very good meal in Rainforest Cafe ... And soaring round the world... The 'bare necessities' is exactly what we got today.

It's Disneyland at ropedrop tomorrow, which will hopefully be better!

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 10:26 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Apr 18, 09:36 AM  
Link to this Post
summersun
Imagineer

summersun's Reviews
oh no i hope you have a better day today x
summersun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 18, 02:59 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Day9. Disneyland Annaheim, Oceanside and on. 'Highway to the danger zone' for TopGun fans 😩

We decided to pack our car and park in the Disney carpark ready for departure down south later in the day. Up early, we found the organisation and shuttle transportation to Disney excellent and of the standard you would expect in Orlando. $20.

Disneyland was entered at rope drop and even despite our lack of knowledge re park layout (no matter how much you previously study park maps, being there is different), we managed to do every single FP ride we wanted within 5 hours, plus a good look around. I put this down to the old, ticket fastpass system, which I greatly prefer to the new one. Turning up on the day was no disadvantage and it was an even playing field.
The park had a somewhat similar layout and feel to Magic Kingdom, whilst clearly different in other aspects and much more compact. We really enjoyed it, in contrast to 'California' yesterday.
Again, a number of major rides, Splash mountain and Space mountain included, were unavailable. The Star Wars complex could be seen in the distance. It is huge!

A demonstration that Disneyworld borrows much from Disneyland.

Imho, Disney California in no way compares with Disney Orlando, but then again, is well worth visiting if in the area, just to see. Disney formed just a minor part of this vacation and I am glad that I did not miss it.

We left at 1500, straight onto the I5 South and heavy, but acceptable traffic that largely petered out within 30 miles .
We needed to pick up our Gosandiego5 tickets and one of the pickups is at the California welcome centre in Oceanside, around 20 miles north of San Diego. This was very easy to find and as a result of our conversation, we visited Oceanside beach and pier. Very nearby was the house from Top Gun in which Kelly McGillis lived, derelict and iconic. It is apparently about to be restored. Oceanside looked a lovely place to stay a few nights!

Kelly McGillis house in Top gun.. regrettably without Kelly.

Oceanside .. with the house in the background. (Above Mandie's head).

Onwards to Mission Beach. The area is ok and our Airbnb is just.. ok. A nice evening walk along the beautiful beachfront promenade and to bed. I must add at this time that Mission beach, albeit very pretty and exclusive on both shorelines, is a hangout for youngsters and is both brash and noisy on the main, central street, without being unpleasant. If you like Burgers and Dogs and beer, then you will be fine. With hindsight and in future, I would seek accommodation for a family close to Seaport, San Diego. (you learn from mistakes, in this case, mine). Seaworld tomorrow!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 03:46 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Apr 18, 04:34 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Day 10 Seaworld at rope drop (nearly).

Well we were there on time and at the gate, produced our 'Gosandiego5' tickets .. and were told to go to customer services. 10 minutes later, Seaworld tickets had been generated and we were through the gate.. top tip.. Customer services first!

This park is very, very different to Seaworld Orlando, whilst retaining some common features. I was last in Seaworld Orlando last April, so forgive me if what I report from San Diego is now replicated in Orlando!

A flukish (whale joke) shot of a breaching, show off Killer Whale.

Matt enjoyed the splash zone (it wasn't quite all educational).

Firstly, Manta is a 'sit on' low and fast coaster with electro magnetic accelerators, rather than a start ramp. It is smooth, quick and cannot in any way be compared with its Orlando equivalent.

A new, higher coaster, 'Electric Eel' is under construction. It will be ready in the summer.

'Atlantis' is totally different to Orlando.

The Dolphin show is an educational talk about Dolphins, with no Condor, Acrobats or anything similar. It also features Pilot Whales. It is good!

The Orca show makes no mention of Shamu and again, is an educational talk about Killer Whale behaviour, which the Whales now demonstrate. The music is sympathetic, rather than thrilling. You do get lots of breaches and a real good soaking at the front.

Clive and Seymour is still a great show, but totally different from Orlando. The Otter is also far more clever! (or at least he was, today). Otter training is probably a little bit 'Hit and Miss', to be honest..

Be aware that all of the open air shows had no overhead protection at all. No roofing on the terraces. As can be seen from the images, I am follically challenged. My head is now burned as I do not own hats.

All in all, a great day followed by a really good Steak at nearby Hunter Steakhouse, that was truly excellent and better value than the Longhorn Steakhouse chain (which I always rate).

San Diego Zoo tomorrow (probably).

Edited at 08:59 PM.
Old 7 Apr 18, 11:14 AM  
Link to this Post
summersun
Imagineer

summersun's Reviews
a great couple of days x
Old 7 Apr 18, 03:18 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by summersun View Post
a great couple of days x
It's been a great vacation, so far. Very, very different to Orlando.

We had become rather jaded with the whole Orlando thing, yet like the familiarity that comes with the U.S, language, driving protocols, friendliness etc.

The good news is that California is like a whole new world, whilst retaining some of the better bits of Florida.

Old 8 Apr 18, 01:29 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Day 11. Balboa park. 'Eye of the tiger' for those who either like Zoos or have watched the Rocky (Balboa) films.🙃

A 20 minute drive from Mission Beach and easy access to the free carpark immediately adjacent to the Zoo (yes an actual free carpark!). The Gosandiego5 card really came into its own here with free access to the Zoo and all bus tours, skywire etc. A really great Zoo with absolutely awesome grounds that really separated off the areas from each other. Everything was absolutely pristine and we loved every minute.

It was then South, down through Balboa park, firstly to the Natural History Museum and then, a very good Air and Space museum. All Gosandiego5 attractions. My wife's cup was overflowing as we examined the Convair Sea Dart supersonic seaplane... or maybe not!

A Convair F2 Sea Dart, Supersonic fighter. Experts say that 'if a plane looks right, then it flies right'... Strangely, this one was not very successful. It looks like a pigs ear and reportedly flew like one.

Balboa park is very large and with absolutely loads of different things going on. We even visited the 'English centre' where we had a cup of 'English tea'.

A poster for next weeks event, demonstrating how Americans perceive 'being English'. I am not quite sure what a 'Dragon egg' is... perhaps a Scotch Egg?

Edited at 05:50 AM.