Notices

Old 21 Oct 19, 06:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Hong Kong 2019 - Pre-Trip Report

So here I am- the days out from a very anticipated trip to Hong Kong! Why anticipated? Because I am off to see my 18 year old son, O who is studying there and I haven't seen him for over 9 weeks!

Introductions first. This trip should have been myself and my husband but unfortunately owing to the hospitalization of his mum, he feels he can't leave her as she is still very poorly.

So it is just me - I am disappointed that he isn't coming - as is our son. I am Mel, a 50 something mum of two. We live in the south of France.

I am visiting O - our 18 year old son who is in his first year of four at HK University of Science and Technology.

So the plans 😉

I am flying on Thursday 24th October from my local airport to Heathrow and then to Hong Kong with British Airways on the A380. I haven't prebooked seats but am hopeful I can get upstairs.

I am traveling with just hand luggage- I have packed and it all seems to go in - even with all the extras that O has asked for!

I have a three hour layover at Heathrow so am hoping to eat dinner as I am sure it will be better than what I will get on board! Where I eat will depend on what I fancy. I need also to get my toiletries in Boots!

The flight arrives in HK at around 1.30 pm the following day - I will try to sleep but I don't hold out much hope. I am ever hopeful that the flight won't be too busy as HK isn't perhaps the most popular destination at the moment!

I have booked the Crowne Plaza hotel in Kowloon East - it is the nearest hotel to O! Rates dropped a lot so I got a good price which includes breakfast.

As DH is no longer coming, O will stay over with me some nights. He is looking forward to the big buffet breakfast!

The hotel is about 15 mins from the university by metro and a bus.

One of the things I am looking forward to is visiting the university and see where O spends most of his days!

The plans are a bit sketchy. O has two exams on the Tuesday after I get there. He has freed himself up on the first Saturday, Wednesday and the Saturday and Sunday on my final weekend.

The other days I may see him for half days - and certainly for lots of meals (on Mum's account of course! )

I think the times I am on my own I will wander as only I can! I have visited HK before so on my own I will probably head more north than south! The weather is due to be gorgeous -sunny and high twenties so good wandering weather.

On the Wednesday we may go to Disney (even though I am not the biggest fan). I don't think it is a place O would go to with his mates and it would be a good chance from his exams!

We will see!

The other place I would like to revisit is the Big Buddha. O tells me it is a good 90 minutes from the university and as the only other day we can go is the Saturday this could be tricky - because of the weekend demonstrations where the metro tends to close down.

So a totally different trip than my usual as I have very little in actual plans - I just want to see my boy 🥰 but as I am not one for sitting still I will hopefully see a lot!

Welcome along!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 19, 06:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Magic Mouse
Imagineer

Mobile

I’m sure you must be so excited to see your son.

I hope you have a wonderful time, shame DH can’t join you on this trip but I expect there may be more in the future.

Look forward to reading all about it.
Orlando/Indian Shores - Aug 14 Emerald Island/RPR - Aug 16
Emerald Island/RPR - Aug 18
Magic Mouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 19, 06:22 PM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

Oh how wonderful that O is in Hong Kong, I’m sure it exciting for you both to see each other again. I look forward to hearing all about your trip.
OB1LukeLucas is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 19, 06:47 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

I am looking forward to following this trip Mel, I’m sure the highlight for you will be seeing O. It’s such a shame your DH can’t make it, I do hope his mum’s health improves soon.
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 19, 06:50 PM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by Melbatb - 21 Oct 19 6:50 PM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 19, 06:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Magic Mouse View Post
I’m sure you must be so excited to see your son.

I hope you have a wonderful time, shame DH can’t join you on this trip but I expect there may be more in the future.

Look forward to reading all about it.
Thank you - I can’t believe it is almost time! I know DH will get out there! We have another 3 1/2 years.

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 19, 06:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by OB1LukeLucas View Post
Oh how wonderful that O is in Hong Kong, I’m sure it exciting for you both to see each other again. I look forward to hearing all about your trip.
Thank you! I am not really sure what we will do day to day but it will be fun!

Index of my trip reports
Old 21 Oct 19, 06:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
I am looking forward to following this trip Mel, I’m sure the highlight for you will be seeing O. It’s such a shame your DH can’t make it, I do hope his mum’s health improves soon.
Definitely the highlight!

Hopefully MIL will continue improving but as things stand DH can’t risk being so far away.

Index of my trip reports
Old 21 Oct 19, 07:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Stardust5
Imagineer

Not long now Mel, I bet you can’t wait to give O a big hug! Can’t wait to read along on your adventures! I hope your DH mum soon gets better.
Stardust5 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 19, 07:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Stardust5 View Post
Not long now Mel, I bet you can’t wait to give O a big hug! Can’t wait to read along on your adventures! I hope your DH mum soon gets better.
I am very excited - I think my colleague is so happy to be on a training course tomorrow 🤣

O is going to stay with me on Friday so that will be a lovely start!

Index of my trip reports