Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 11 Dec 19, 02:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Tetrarch
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 23
Originally Posted by WDW365 View Post
Universal parking is even more expensive. Parking was a big part of decision for me to upgrade to an annual pass. When I worked it all out, across the two weeks my AP upgrade saved me over €100 (parking and food/merchandise discounts).
On the face of it, this is true, but the difference is that in general, visitors to Universal don't go for a 14 night holiday. They go to Universal for a few days so it's easier to justify paying $25 per day (if that's what it is now) for 2/3/4 days. Paying for 14 days parking at Disney is a far bigger cost and harder to justify hence why on site guests will be more likely to ditch the hire car, exactly what Disney want. UK guests are particularly affected as most US guests go for much shorter holidays so once again, they can justify the cost of a few days parking.

I know I sound very cynical but don't misunderstand me, I love a bit of Disney as much as anyone on here, but I've seen how things have changed over a long period of time and I don't believe any of the changes have been for the benefit of the guest. Like a few other threads on here recently, I feel the magic of Disney is being eroded.

Debra
Old 12 Dec 19, 08:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Gaz Lear
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 6
Mobile

Of course there is ways around it. It depends how valuable your time is, in WDW mines worth far more than £20!
Old 12 Dec 19, 10:22 AM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Tetrarch View Post
It's not in Disney's interests for any of their visitors to have access to a car, and that goes for guests in Disney hotels too. If they can keep their captured audience on site for everything by making it harder to 'escape' the bubble, then more of their guests $$'s will be spent in Disney. Coupled with inflated food prices and reduced quality over the last ten years compared to what you can get offsite, it's a win win for profits/shareholders because the stats show that attendance continues to rise.

Debra
I’m sure most of their USA based visitors will be driving there and won’t change to flights due to parking charges at resorts.

Personally the parking charges at resorts would push me to go to offsite hotels with a car. This would be cheaper even inc the parking charges for the theme parks. It also gives me a easier access to better quality food offsite, rather than the onsite offerings that has reduced its quality over the years. Now I see offsite and Universal as the best combination for an Orlando based holiday.

Not disagreeing with you just showing my take on the effect of the charges.

Edited at 10:23 AM.
PPM is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Dec 19, 11:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Angiesmash
Looking for my Ears

Mobile

Thanks everyone
Angiesmash is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Dec 19, 01:09 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Originally Posted by PPM View Post
I’m sure most of their USA based visitors will be driving there and won’t change to flights due to parking charges at resorts.

Personally the parking charges at resorts would push me to go to offsite hotels with a car. This would be cheaper even inc the parking charges for the theme parks. It also gives me a easier access to better quality food offsite, rather than the onsite offerings that has reduced its quality over the years. Now I see offsite and Universal as the best combination for an Orlando based holiday.

Not disagreeing with you just showing my take on the effect of the charges.
I’m also unhappy with the parking charges, but what can you do?

My guess is that many (no idea of numbers though) US visitors don’t hire a car - they are kept truly captive by the free Magical Express to their resort - so they win twice! No car hire cost! Avoid parking fees! (Please use ironic tone when reading this!).

In a way I’m surprised they have only ‘turned on’ resort parking fees now. I wonder if it will push more visitors onto the ME.
Old 12 Dec 19, 04:10 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
I’m also unhappy with the parking charges, but what can you do?

My guess is that many (no idea of numbers though) US visitors don’t hire a car - they are kept truly captive by the free Magical Express to their resort - so they win twice! No car hire cost! Avoid parking fees! (Please use ironic tone when reading this!).

In a way I’m surprised they have only ‘turned on’ resort parking fees now. I wonder if it will push more visitors onto the ME.
Hi Karen

I meant that most Americans with still drive there with their own cars NOT with a hire car, as a fuel for a car with say five occupants would be way cheaper than return flights from say Newark for example. They would also have parking fees at Newark airport if flying there.
I have friends in Boston that drove to Clearwater then WDW as it was way cheaper than flying. That was four folk in a Chevy Traverse with one overnight stop on the way down.
Our next trip will be a villa and a Universal Parks visit with time in Clearwater too. We will hire a car.

But for 2020 we are going to our favourite European destination of Corfu. A week in May and 2 in August, and if we can get really cheap flights a week in early Oct. Just needed a break from all the fast pace of Orlando.
PPM is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Dec 19, 05:23 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by PPM View Post
Hi Karen

I meant that most Americans with still drive there with their own cars NOT with a hire car, as a fuel for a car with say five occupants would be way cheaper than return flights from say Newark for example. They would also have parking fees at Newark airport if flying there.
I have friends in Boston that drove to Clearwater then WDW as it was way cheaper than flying. That was four folk in a Chevy Traverse with one overnight stop on the way down.
Our next trip will be a villa and a Universal Parks visit with time in Clearwater too. We will hire a car.

But for 2020 we are going to our favourite European destination of Corfu. A week in May and 2 in August, and if we can get really cheap flights a week in early Oct. Just needed a break from all the fast pace of Orlando.
I’m with you now :-)

Once many many years ago we were in Typhoon Lagoon queuing for a slide. Two teens in front of us were discussing how they’d driven from New Jersey to spend the day (the DAY!) at Typhoon Lagoon. They were driving back that evening. I just found that mind boggling!
Old 13 Dec 19, 11:00 PM  
Link to this Post
scooby99
Imagineer

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
I’m with you now :-)

Once many many years ago we were in Typhoon Lagoon queuing for a slide. Two teens in front of us were discussing how they’d driven from New Jersey to spend the day (the DAY!) at Typhoon Lagoon. They were driving back that evening. I just found that mind boggling!
Wow, NJ to WDW is a 16 hour drive in each direction; 2 entire days driving for a few hours in a water park!
scooby99 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Dec 19, 03:11 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

I know! Crazy! I couldn’t believe my ears.
Old 14 Dec 19, 03:22 PM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

or those kids where living in kissimmee and were just pulling the collective legs of whoever were to overhear :p

reminds me of that 12 or 13 years old girl swimming by us at the pool in windsor hills last summer, and as she passed by, she randomly shot to someone on the pool deck "dad, we've been there one month, I'm starting to get bored" ... turned out they had only been then a couple of days, and she thought that would impress other people around :p

kids, teens ... (and quite a few people on facebook actually )
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List