Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 6 Sep 19, 06:21 PM  
Link to this Post
marciehatter
slightly serious Dibber

Well thought I'd update this thread after our stay at The Tangerine! Good and bad really - loved the area, felt really safe and loads of eateries in walkable distance. Parking was a concern as there's only around 14 spaces for 31 rooms! We were fortunate in always finding a space around the side though.

The room was nice, but the bathroom is very small (wonder why they didn't put the sink outside in the big area next to it?) and the small air conditioning unit just couldn't cope and the room was always warm. As we had a 2 queen bed room the ac unit was right next to the bed so it couldn't circulate properly - plus I had to stuff the duvet down the side of the bed so my bum didn't freeze off in the night!

The pool area is great, and we had it to ourselves every night of our 3 night stay - there were some noisy kids in there one night, but as it shuts at 9pm it wasn't a problem. The pastries for breakfast are fine, but nothing special - we bought and ate cereal for a couple of days for a change!

Don't rely on the front desk getting you discounted tickets to Universal as it says on their website - when we asked the night before we wanted to go the guy on reception said we could get them in the morning - in the morning the other guy on reception said their internet wasn't working (but the wifi was fine!) and the prices they quoted were no different than going through the official Universal site anyway.

Would like to try The Garland if we go again, but if the price difference is too much we'd definitely stay at the Tangerine again.
marciehatter is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 01:21 PM  
Link to this Post
cameroon95
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Guys I need your help- what is a good price per night for ether the Garland or the Tangerine?

I'm looking to book soon for next sept/october for universal HHN.

Can anyone advise on the best agents /means to book these hotels? Both of them seem to get good reviews.

I've found some prices for the tangerine for around £192/night for next month, but that seems really high- probably because its last minute or should I expect to pay this in LA?
cameroon95 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 01:33 PM  
Link to this Post
marciehatter
slightly serious Dibber

We booked 3 nights at The Tangerine for £550 through expedia, but had a 10% off coupon so bought it down to £500 which works out around £166 a night. The only time The Garland came anywhere near that price was when Expedia had a 20% off sale - plus you'll be paying for parking and breakfast if you stay there.

Sign up for emails from Expedia and Hotels.com (same company I know!) and at the hotels official websites for any offers, codes. Also worth keeping checking the rates on Expedia etc as they often have flash sales - worth booking a cancellable rate if you see a good offer, then keep checking and rebook if the price goes down (can't do that if you use a coupon code though).

Everywhere on our California road trip was more expensive than Florida, but LA seemed quite reasonable to us compared to what we paid in Monterey and San Diego!
marciehatter is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 19, 01:36 PM  
Link to this Post
moosha
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by cameroon95 View Post
Guys I need your help- what is a good price per night for ether the Garland or the Tangerine?

I'm looking to book soon for next sept/october for universal HHN.

Can anyone advise on the best agents /means to book these hotels? Both of them seem to get good reviews.

I've found some prices for the tangerine for around £192/night for next month, but that seems really high- probably because its last minute or should I expect to pay this in LA?
I booked The Tangerine yesterday for next August and paid $279 per night (2 queen beds room for four of us including two teenagers.) It’s a Friday and Saturday night so not sure if more expensive during the week. Booked via Expedia with 8% cashback from Quidco. Also not had to pay upfront and can cancel up until day before.

I really wanted The Garland instead but there were no rooms available on Expedia and trying to book direct, the rate was about the same as the Tangerine but then there were about $200 worth of ‘taxes’ on top that brought it to $700 rather than the $620 The Tangerine want. Plus they wanted the full amount upfront.

Tried to look at it again today but their website is now showing no availability for my dates. Going to keep checking back but at least I have The Tangerine as a back-up that’s fully cancellable.

In terms of whether LA hotels are expensive, from the little investigating I’ve done so far, I think it really depends on the individual hotel and area. I’m sure there are cheaper options out there, and definitely more expensive options. For example, it’s always been my dream to stay at Chateau Marmont but when I looked at a one night stay during our trip they wanted about $900 for a standard room or $2500 for one of their bungalow rooms .

I’m guessing being so close to Universal The Tangerine and The Garland are going to charge peak rates for HHN.
moosha is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Sep 19, 05:44 PM  
Link to this Post
moosha
VIP Dibber

Just updating after my post yesterday...Expedia, Booking.com and the hotel’s own website were all showing no availability for a room at The Garland for my dates in August today.

After a bit of searching I found a room via Virgin Holidays website so I’ve booked that and cancelled my Expedia Tangerine booking as I really wanted The Garland.

I’ve paid £510 in £ for two nights in August, currently approximately $626 so only $6 more than my confirmed rate (which would have been payable in $ on arrival) at The Tangerine. Obviously I can’t predict the exchange rate for next year but I’m happy to have got a pretty much equivalent price (right now) for The Garland since my understanding was that it’s generally more expensive than The Tangerine.

So just in case anyone else finds themselves in a similar position, check other sites for availability if direct and Expedia have nothing .
moosha is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List