Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 29 Jul 19, 01:02 PM  
Link to this Post
papasmurf
Imagineer

Questions about a Cali trip

As a change to orlando, I'm thinking of heading to Cali with the wife and 2 kids (7&10).

I've no idea where to start, but know lots of things I'd like to see. I'd also need to fit in disney and universal.

First thought makes me think it may be a lot of driving. Probably a good few places to stay.

One of my big reservations is that the kids might be a bit young. Should we hold off for a few years and head back to Orlando and just add new things to a 'standard' trip there?

Cost wise, how does Cali stack up to Orlando? Thinking food, park tickets, hotels etc

Thx
papasmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 19, 08:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Drino
Excited about Disney

Mate we going Cali for first time this year...normally do orlando parks etc...imo' its cheaper to go san francisco and drive see bit of the west coast...no kids though me and the missus...fly into san fran with BA is cheap...we booked in the sale and got big car and flights for tad over a grand..san fran dont drive just get bart into city stay and do the tourist stuff kids will love alcatraz...
then you call on where to drive after going back to airport to get car..we going vegas,grand canyon,death valley,hollywood,santa barbara,monterey back to airport...with kids you gotta go universal @ hollywood... just sort your trip on what you like
Drino is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 19, 09:07 PM  
Link to this Post
scottishgirl1
VIP Dibber

We are just back from 3rd California trip as family of 5. This time we stayed in Burbank for Universal and Warner Bros, then went to San Diego for 4th July, then Palm Springs and finished at Disney. We did find it easier to move hotels now that our youngest is 16 but first time we went was in 2008 and they loved it, mostly did LA and San Diego that time and in 2014 we did New York, LA and San Diego.

We do always find it more expensive than Orlando, flights are okay but then accommodation for 5 is always tricky and any theme park tickets all add up as you dont have the 14 day options that Orlando offers. Weather was amazing, barely a cloud and no rain for 2 weeks and that was much more enjoyable than Orlando!
scottishgirl1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 19, 10:31 AM  
Link to this Post
samhartwell
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

I agree with the above! We have done both WDW and disneyland Cali road trips more than a few times and once both in one trip

I think our first Cali road trip our youngest was 9 but she would have been fine younger. I think it does work out more expensive for Cali but its a much more adventurous holiday and will give you some great memories. You can start with short driving distances and you will want to spend longer as 3 weeks doesnt feel long enough! But you can do a 2 week trip just pick what you like as a family ie theme parks, cities, beach or mountains.

We still have plenty to see having done 4 trips and planning a 5th for next year.

Oh and the climate is a big positive compared to florida!

happy planning

Sam
Aug 2015 - West Coast road trip number 2
July 2017 - East & West Coast trip No 3
samhartwell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List