Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 11 Aug 19, 09:18 PM  
Link to this Post
HappyThoughts
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Poppins73 View Post
Does he or could he wear a hat/helmet in the parks to cushion any falls? It might give you some peace of mind but I appreciate he may not be comfortable doing so. Is there anyone you can convince to join you on holiday?
Originally Posted by Bootrip2 View Post
Bis there anyone else who could go with you?
He’d hate anything more then a baseball cap on his head & they won’t protect him much if at all.

Sadly it’s just me. My mum’s also disabled (physically) which is why she isn’t coming this time & the rest of my friends/family all have their own families & jobs so aren’t able to drop everything pretty much last min to come much less afford to go without help & I’m not in the position to help money wise if I’m honest.

Edited at 09:42 PM.
HappyThoughts is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 19, 09:25 PM  
Link to this Post
The Bobbo's
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Two years ago, we came across a woman having a seizure close to Mission Space. Whilst hubby ran for assistance, I approached the lady. She was alone but carried a rucksack. Attached to the front was a laminated card stating her name and medical notes. She requested no medical assistance as this was normal for her, but requested that if she'd fallen in direct sunlight to protect her skin from the hot floor.

I followed the instructions she'd left, but as we'd already alerted staff, they'd called the paramedics.

Once she came round she was quite groggy and confused. The paramedics spoke to her and checked her over. Ultimately, you can accept medical help, but if you don't have to go to hospital, then you can refuse to go and explain your situation. Obviously if you do need further help, Disney will know what to do.
Old 12 Aug 19, 08:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Hotlush
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by HappyThoughts View Post
I currently have family members trying to talk me out of talking him but as his sister & his carer I feel like absolute *poo* for even considering it when he’s so excited to go😫
Whilst I understand completely they do have a fair point. There's also two children who, if anything happens, will have a dream holiday disrupted.
If it is impractical to have another adult join you I would suggest not taking him, sorry.
Hotlush is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 19, 03:35 PM  
Link to this Post
lepres
Excited about Disney

Just remember, unless the rules have changed there is No flying within 12 hours of having a seizure. It is vital to have epilepsy covered on your insurance.
lepres is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 19, 09:14 PM  
Link to this Post
HappyThoughts
Imagineer

Mobile

Sorry for the late reply. Unfortunately my bro had a few difficulties after yesterday’s seizure & after being checked by the doctors today is now suffering from some short term memory loss - which I know can be common in epilepsy but is something he’s never experienced before even with the worst of his seizures so it’s been a lot of worry & panicking today. If all goes well it’ll ease over the next week but can take up to a month 😞

DLP: 2019, Feb: Santa Fe
HappyThoughts is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 19, 09:26 PM  
Link to this Post
HappyThoughts
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by The Bobbo's View Post
Two years ago, we came across a woman having a seizure close to Mission Space. Whilst hubby ran for assistance, I approached the lady. She was alone but carried a rucksack. Attached to the front was a laminated card stating her name and medical notes. She requested no medical assistance as this was normal for her, but requested that if she'd fallen in direct sunlight to protect her skin from the hot floor.

I followed the instructions she'd left, but as we'd already alerted staff, they'd called the paramedics.

Once she came round she was quite groggy and confused. The paramedics spoke to her and checked her over. Ultimately, you can accept medical help, but if you don't have to go to hospital, then you can refuse to go and explain your situation. Obviously if you do need further help, Disney will know what to do.
This is really helpful to know so thank you! The thing is most the time he doesn’t require any extra help after a seizure & not only will make everything stressful for us but I have a real thing against wasting hospital/doctors time.

I actually rung both Disney & Universal today & explained the situation to get some advice & they were both brilliant & assured me if something was to happen they have protocols in place & with go above & beyond to help, which is definitely reassuring to know.

Originally Posted by Hotlush View Post
Whilst I understand completely they do have a fair point. There's also two children who, if anything happens, will have a dream holiday disrupted.
If it is impractical to have another adult join you I would suggest not taking him, sorry.
I get what you’re saying & part of me actually does agree I just hate the thought of leaving him behind 😞 I also don’t know if there’s a way to leave him behind even if I wanted to as I’m his only carer & he lives with me.

Originally Posted by lepres View Post
Just remember, unless the rules have changed there is No flying within 12 hours of having a seizure. It is vital to have epilepsy covered on your insurance.
Thanks for this info. Our insurance knows about his epilepsy & have covered it but I wasn’t aware of the no flying rule.

DLP: 2019, Feb: Santa Fe