Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 24 Mar 19, 08:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Lottie2004
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Hi,
My Son attended a UCAS event on Wednesday and came home with prospectuses for Warwick, Royal Holloway,East Anglia, Bangor and Lancaster ! Wow ... we’ve got a few long road trips ahead of us - as we are in Plymouth ! xx
Lottie2004 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Apr 19, 06:29 PM  
Link to this Post
ChoppyGirl
VIP Dibber

DD applied for the University of Surrey vet med summer school and got an email this afternoon to say she as been accepted. It’s for 5 days at the end of July and includes accommodation, food and travel. Hopefully it will help her for her applications next year.

On another note she spent a day at an abattoir on Tuesday and has a weeks residential lambing next week. All going well so far.

Edited at 07:13 PM.
ChoppyGirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Apr 19, 06:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ChoppyGirl View Post
DD applies for the University of Surrey vet med summer school and got an email this afternoon to say she as been accepted. It’s for 5 days at the end of July and includes accommodation, food and travel. Hopefully it will help her for her applications next year.

On another note she spent a day at an abattoir on Friday and has a weeks residential lambing next week. All going well so far.
Well done to your daughter! One step closer!

Our son still hasn't quite decided what he wants to do at uni yet!
He has been asked to a meeting with head of year next week as amazingly he has scored 90%+ in the most recent tests over the last fortnight in all his 5 of his Higher subjects. (Biology chemistry physics maths and computing science) We're in Scotland so not doing A levels.

Scottish final exams actually start this month!
T has his first one, Biology, on 30th April!
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Apr 19, 07:28 PM  
Link to this Post
jndt
Imagineer

My son doesn't have a clue what to study. He was thinking of Physics but as he has gotten more into his a levels he is torn as he likes them all! He's studying maths, physics and chemistry so he'll do a STEM subject but that's as far as he has got. We are booked into York for an open day and he has already attended lectures at Leeds. School suggested looking at Durham and St Andrews but they are quite far away!
jndt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Apr 19, 07:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Originally Posted by jdndt View Post
My son doesn't have a clue what to study. He was thinking of Physics but as he has gotten more into his a levels he is torn as he likes them all! He's studying maths, physics and chemistry so he'll do a STEM subject but that's as far as he has got. We are booked into York for an open day and he has already attended lectures at Leeds. School suggested looking at Durham and St Andrews but they are quite far away!
Similar to my son then! T has been thinking Physics too, but like your boy he enjoys chemistry too. And biology!
T is doing fine at maths but it is definitely his weakest subject and he will be glad he can drop it next year. T says there's more than enough maths to be going along with in physics, (as you'll know!)
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Apr 19, 07:56 PM  
Link to this Post
TINKERBELL44
Apprentice Imagineer

Don’t forget after the open days you’ve got the interviews to follow ! We’ve been all around the country and my daughter accepted the offer from Cardiff for physiotherapy which is only 24 miles away! 😀😀
TINKERBELL44 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Apr 19, 07:59 PM  
Link to this Post
jndt
Imagineer

We live in North Leeds (half way between Leeds and Harrogate) - I'd love him to go to Leeds or York but obviously it's up to him. I went to Leeds from Northumberland. 24 miles away is perfect - easy to get to in an emergency (or when they want something more likely).
jndt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 19, 11:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Cloverlady View Post
Similar to my son then! T has been thinking Physics too, but like your boy he enjoys chemistry too. And biology!
T is doing fine at maths but it is definitely his weakest subject and he will be glad he can drop it next year. T says there's more than enough maths to be going along with in physics, (as you'll know!)
There’s certainly nothing wrong with studying Physics at university. Although it does tend to be a more academic subject and not quite so applied as some other subjects (eg. engineering). And there’s a lot of maths in it (I suggest avoiding Lagrangian Mechanics).

Looking through my DD’s prospectuses, there’s quite a variety of courses - more so than I remember. Your son could do Biochemical Engineering, for example, which combines all three science subjects. Or I can recommend Medical Biophysics.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 19, 02:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
There’s certainly nothing wrong with studying Physics at university. Although it does tend to be a more academic subject and not quite so applied as some other subjects (eg. engineering). And there’s a lot of maths in it (I suggest avoiding Lagrangian Mechanics).

Looking through my DD’s prospectuses, there’s quite a variety of courses - more so than I remember. Your son could do Biochemical Engineering, for example, which combines all three science subjects. Or I can recommend Medical Biophysics.
Hehe, my husband would agree with you as that is what he studied at university!
T has always been very academic and a high achiever so would certainly cope well with any science route we feel, and enjoy it too, even the maths involved, he does get all As in that too but isn't his fave subject, but does fine.

Good idea about biophysics, he has looked into biophysics and would find something incorporating both those sciences interesting for sure He was reading recently about P.E.T. scanners
Old 8 Apr 19, 10:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Cloverlady View Post
Good idea about biophysics, he has looked into biophysics and would find something incorporating both those sciences interesting for sure He was reading recently about P.E.T. scanners
I tried to get my DD interested in a Medical Engineering course - which was about design/making medical equipment such as PET scanners. She wasn't interested though.

I did a PhD in Medical Biophysics. It was around 10% Biology, 20% Physics and 70% computer programming. My research was in a novel form of x-ray tomography for breast cancers. Others were looking into image analysis (face recognition, mammogram analysis) and the mechanics of artificial knees/hips. This was 25 years ago, mind you.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List