Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 21 Jul 14, 10:38 PM  
Link to this Post

In the footsteps of Lewis & Clark - Day 12 - Part One

DAY 12 – Part One - “An extra layer of Pixie Dust ?”

Wednesday 2nd July 2014

The next few days are very photo intensive and so will be split into more than one part for each day.

It’s about a half hour’s drive from Long Beach to Anaheim. We sort our own breakfast, the trravel kettle is used to make tea and coffee and we munch on cherry Danish. We are leaving the Queen Mary early because it’s Extra Magic Morning at Disney’s California Adventure park meaning it opens at 7a.m. We have one hour (or less) to get on the Radiator Springs Racers ride at Cars Land. We have to get the car emptied and valet parked, check in at the Villas at Grand Californian Resort and Spa (rooms won’t be ready until 4p.m.), dump our luggage with Bell Services and run like Forrest Gump to the park to achieve said ride. Hotel guests get a 15 minute advantage in average via the private entrance / exit at Grand Californian. We pre bought our 3 day hopper tickets so we are well prepared. We also pick up our anniversary buttons (badges) on which they have written 25th!

When we get in the California Adventure park via the private entrance we take the route through Condor Flats, passing Soarin’ and Grizzly River Rapids and sprint through Radiator Springs to Racers entrance. It's right at the top of Rs's Main street to the right of Stanley's (vintage car) statue. We’ll sort the town bit later. The standby line is actually only 20 minutes.

The theming is just jaw dropping and there is so much to look at. If you have ever been to the midwest of the USA such as Colorado you will appreciate the craftsmanship of this area. They even consulted with geologists to ensure the colour layers of the rock were exactly right. They even added quartz to some layers so that it sparkles in the sunlight just as desert mesas do.

The mountain vista is gigantic and was designed to shut out the view of Anaheim beyond the park boundaries.

The ride itself – well, if you ever wanted to be put into a Pixar film then this achieves it to the max. Me and Darrin on the ride:

The cars characters become real as you pass through the process of being spruced up for a race by Luigi and his little friend Guido. You get cautioned for speeding by Doc Hudson, Mater takes you tractor tipping and you even pass by the waterfall where McQueen realises he feels a little something for Sally. It is truly awesome. Test Track technology it may be but it works. And when they sun sets and the neon lights in the town come on it takes your breath away – it truly does. If you want to experience the ride go here:

We have picked up Fastpasses for a return ride about 10 a.m. We are due to meet with our friends Tim and Jimmie who have come all the way from Chandler (southeast of Arizona). They are Disney freaks like me – well, Tim definitely is. Jimmie is more laid back like Darrin. The two of both work in theatre / local TV so have a great sense of technical and craft appreciation.

No we haven't changed clothes - the picture was taken later in the week!

They are dear friends and Disney should have made “Tim” plush dolls instead of the dreaded Duffy! Tim is one caring guy and as for being the ultimate Disneyland guide, we’d give him 12 out of 10. He knows every shortcut, rest room facility, snack cart and best viewing areas. He is always prepared for anything and is the perfect Boy Scout. in fact, he is the real life version of Russell from "Up". We do most rides in the park because he knows exactly how to work the Fastpass system (legally). He and Jimmie have been to WDW and were not over impressed by the new Magic band Fastpass booking system. We spend the morning doing Tower of Terror:

The four of us are sat middle row left.

Monsters Inc.

Little Mermaid:

Turtle talk with Crush:

That is so clever. How they get an animated turtle to react and talk to audience members - I'd love to see how it's done.

We cover everything and I snap away with the camera. We ride Luigi’s Flying Tires (Tyres).

This is a rehash of the failed Flying Saucers that Disneyland once had in the 50s. They were notorious for tipping over with guests in them and so the ride was eventually closed. Technology has moved on and now you glide across the floor and can play “dodgems” with the other tyres. Air comes up through holes in the floor, inflating the tyre skirt and lifting you gently so you can steer by leaning left, right and forward almost like a hovercraft. Next is Mater's Junkyad Jamboree which is reminiscent of the old “Whip” ride. Jimmie and darrin:

You sit in a trailer whilst a tractor pulls you round in concentric circles rather like the Mad Teacups ride. Every so often the trailer will whip to the right behind its tractor.

There’s Flo’s V8 Café gas station, courthouse / firehouse and the Cozy Cone Motel where you can get chilli or churros and do a meet and greet with the various car characters - as one vehicle finishes its spot another drives in to take it’s place. To see cars talking with the kids is really clever. Moving mouths and eyes. You can maybe guess how it is done.

We go over to the Hollywood bit and here we are way-laid bu the Citizens of Hollywood namely a cop, Officer Duncan Donut and a reporter - Ima Fraudian. Seems we are to feature on the Hollywood Bugle as new faces in town.

And talking of newspapers. The Red Car News Boys do a song and dance routine where they hand out a daily paper (a promo for park features) and they are accompanied by Mickey.(The reference is to the fact that Walt Disney and his brother Roy distributed newspapers for their father's business when they were young lads).

Lunch is at the Carthay Circle restaurant -an exterior replica of the movie theatre where Snow White premiered back in 1937.

We go to the lounge bar first and I have a Long Island tea, Darrin and Jimmie are on G&Ts and Tim chooses a soft drink.

We go upstairs to our table. The décor has shades of Club 33 about it but it holds it own. The chandeliers have the Evil Queen’s crown in them and an iron apple shape hangs on a slim chain beneath each one.

Look carefully at the grain of the wood on the table top and you see the Evil queen.

The walls sport many photos from the Snow White premiere.

Our table awaits;

As to what we had to eat... you'll have to read Day 12 Part Two!

Car miles today: 14 Total for trip so far: 1474 miles

Trip Report INDEX: http://DIBB.in/9823405

Edited at 10:45 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 14, 07:39 AM  
Link to this Post

I'm so excited for you to finally get to experience Carsland! It is mesmerising isn't it! Can't wait to read more!
Old 22 Jul 14, 09:17 AM  
Link to this Post
gtyrel10
VIP Dibber

What a fantastic day, seeing all your pictures reminds me of why i love Disneyland California and i wasnt even there for Cars land but its just such a gorgeous park!

Cant wait to read day two xx
gtyrel10 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 14, 10:40 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by princess_chazy View Post
I'm so excited for you to finally get to experience Carsland! It is mesmerising isn't it! Can't wait to read more!

It certainly makes Toy Story mania seem very "old hat". I shall doing a review of Cars land in the next DIBBcast show - 1st Augist - Show #106.

dibbcast

Day 12 - Part Two featuring Fantasmic is now up
Old 22 Jul 14, 10:45 AM  
Link to this Post
jillyb
Imagineer

jillyb's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
A great day ,
Love your t/shirt Geoffa I so wish my hubby would be brave & wear something things like that.
Old 22 Jul 14, 11:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Eeyore rocks
VIP Dibber

Eeyore rocks's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Another great start...Cars land looks amazing..just off for part 2.

Orlando..Feb 1998, Jun 2003, Nov 2004, Dec 2008, Nov 2009, Aug 2010, Nov 2010, Sep 2011, Nov 2012, Nov 2013, Oct 2014, Sept 2015, Nov 2015, Sept 16, Jan 2017, Nov 2017, Jan 2018, June 2018, Dec 2018, June 2019, Dec 2019, Feb 2022, May 2023, Oct 2024.

Las Vegas..Dec 1998, Jan 2002, Jan 2004, Jan 2005, May 2006, Mar 2009, Apr 2011, Jan 2012, Aug 2012, Jan 2013, Feb 2014, Feb 2015 Feb 2016, Nov 2016.

New York...Nov 2018, Dec 2021.
Eeyore rocks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 14, 12:02 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by gtyrel10 View Post
What a fantastic day, seeing all your pictures reminds me of why i love Disneyland California and i wasnt even there for Cars land but its just such a gorgeous park!

Cant wait to read day two xx

We are doing a week at WDW in October and we are both beginning to think we are going to be disappointed. With all the building work going on and nothing new apart from the Dwarfs Mine Ride it doesn't quite seem to have the pizzazz it used to have. Then there are the blinking Magic Bands and booking Fastpasses to cope with. Disneyland has the old system and we rather hope it stays that way for a while.
Also, booking restaurants is at 60 days which is easier to fit in with plans. I know many say 3 to 4 days is enough for Disneyland Resort but we can easily fill a week there with maybe a day out at Universal Studios or a visit to Paramount Pictures. We did Warner Bros previously.
Old 22 Jul 14, 12:05 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by jillyb View Post
A great day ,
Love your t/shirt Geoffa I so wish my hubby would be brave & wear something things like that.
I bought it at Tokyo Disneyland last year and kept it deliberately for this trip. If I had £5 for everybody that asked me where to get one I'd be a millionaire. Just thought it was quirky and had to have one.

Edited at 12:13 PM.
Old 22 Jul 14, 12:12 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Eeyore rocks View Post
Another great start...Cars land looks amazing..just off for part 2.
It is Disney theming at its very best. As I said it's like being dropped into the cartoon. To see vehicles talk to people - WOW!

Red - the fire truck:
Old 24 Jul 14, 06:45 PM  
Link to this Post
kevbrydon
VIP Dibber

kevbrydon's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Dig the Shirt too ... And Carsland wasn't there when we visited a couple of years back...have you ever thought about being a freelance marketing guru for the West Coast ... as I think a few dibbers are seriously thinking of going back or visiting for the first time lol