Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 13 Aug 17, 09:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Pearlygatesuk
Trading Disney Pins

Mobile Documents arrived (Eep)

Well, we're two weeks out from going and we received our pack in the post this morning (eep). Just a question folks, are the luggage tags in the pack purely decorative or do they have a practical application? I'm pretty sure that the service where your bags magically appear in your room is limited to US only as you have to claim your baggage once through immigration so I'm assuming the tags are really just to make your baggage look pretty?
Pearlygatesuk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 17, 09:21 AM  
Link to this Post
DOFFSTER
Getting Excited

DOFFSTER's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 3
They are decorative only as you can't get your luggage transferred to the Hotel as US guests can. Enjoy!
Old 13 Aug 17, 10:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Thorpy
Imagineer

I think you can have your luggage transferred, but it's pointless. You have to have it with you to go through customs, you'd then have to cart it to the Magical express desk. I'm sure you could then conceivably hand it in at the desk and have them transport it. The problem with this is that they will then bring it when they are ready.
When you've taken it that far, it's easier to cart it the last 100 yards, know it's on the same bus as you and not then be wondering where it is, or sat waiting for it to arrive then you can go to sleep.
Old 13 Aug 17, 07:00 PM  
Link to this Post
louiseybobs
Imagineer

louiseybobs's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Mobile

Oh no that's rubbish so we still have to wait for our luggage ☹️☹️☹️
Old 13 Aug 17, 07:08 PM  
Link to this Post
flashh
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

Mobile

It isn't highly likely the luggage will be waiting for you as immigration will take far longer than the baggage.
flashh is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 17, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Thorpy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by louiseybobs View Post
Oh no that's rubbish so we still have to wait for our luggage ☹️☹️☹️
When we've been one of the first off the plane, we've been in the baggage area before the belts have even started, when we've been sat nearer the back (planes don't reverse into mountains) then the bags have been getting dizzy going round waiting for us.

On the presumption that you are arriving internationally...you will have to collect your luggage before you clear customs. This is unavoidable as they want you bags in hand then you can't just deny they are yours when they find a couple of kilo's of dodgy gear in there.
This is the crucial bit that means you can't take full advantage of the service. Locals hand their bags in at their home airport and get away with not seeing them until they appear in their room.

Once through immigration and customs, (assuming immigration didn't earmark you for Guantanamo bay) you either do second bag drop, which means your bags make their own way to the main terminal and you hop on the monorail bag free. You then go play hunt the bags in the main terminal, or if you choose to keep your bags with you on the monorail, you don't need to go find them and can head straight for the magical express desk.
Once you get to the Magical Express desk you are at the stage I was describing earlier. At this point "I THINK" you can hand your bags in, and they will chuck them on the pile to be taken to resort, and when they get enough bags for that resort, they will dispatch a van. Alternatively if you wheel your bags the last bit (and it's a tiny fraction of the bag wheeling you do on travel day), the driver will load them under the bus you're on. He/she will give them back to you at the other end when you get off.

You then have them when you go to checkin, and jobs done. If you choose to hand them in they may arrive hours later, when you're half asleep, and whilst the risk is minimal, you are risking something happening to them. It makes no sense whatsoever.

Hows that for over explaining !