Notices
Tickets Theme Park Ticket questions and advice

Old 7 Feb 17, 01:57 PM  
Link to this Post
willssv
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by sha9 View Post
The problem with combo tickets is that they are individual tickets for each theme park sold as a bundle. These theme parks are not affiliated with each other and it doesn't benefit them to offer a discount if you buy a rivals ticket so it's based solely on the company selling those tickets to you giving a slight discount for essentially bulk buying.
I thought that was the case. The other big gripe of mine is the price for a single day at any of the parks. Almost forces you to buy the 14 day tickets even if you only intend to do a couple of days.

Ideally I'd like to do 5 days at Disney, 4 days at Universal and 3 days at SeaWorld/Busch. The prices are forcing me to go down the Universal/SeaWorld routes as we've done all Disney for the last two years.
willssv is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 17, 01:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by willssv View Post
Surely there should be a bigger discount on these tickets as its fairly clear to me that you couldn't get the full use of all of those tickets in a 2 week period.
If you bought an annual subscription to the gym and then an annual pass to the cinema would you expect both places to offer you a discount because you've now got 2 years worth of entry which can only be used in 1 year?

It's the thirdparty ticket sellers that offer this combo discount not the theme parks. They buy the tickets from the theme park companies at the same price whatever they later decide to do with them - the theme parks don't know whether the ticket sellers will bundle them or sell them separately.

So, that means the thirdparty ticket sellers are cutting into their profits by offering you any sort of discount. They could just sell the tickets separately at the normal price if they wanted. And a £50 reduction sounds pretty good.

It's also worth remembering with these tickets that you're not buying 14 separate days worth of entry. The price isn't equivalent to 14 x 1 day. You're buying the ability to enter all of the parks on any day during a two week period.

Originally Posted by mummyroo1 View Post
I know they have added Volcano Bay but cannot see how they can justify such a steep price rise for a group of parks that can be comfortably done in 3 days.
Remember that some (not all!) of the price increase is due to the poor pound-to-dollar exchange rate. Taking that out of the equation, the tickets this year have risen in price by around £30.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 17, 03:57 PM  
Link to this Post
lallan
Apprentice Imagineer

lallan's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

I am in the exact same boat as you OP. I've also just posted about this on another thread where someone couldn't believe the price hike on universals tickets.

I had to put it into perspective of what was best value for money.

We are going in March this year so still only Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure included in the newly named explorer ticket. The best ticket cost for us (3 adults & 2kids) was £1,010.21 with Thomson. In June 2016 we bought the fab 5 ticket from Florida Tix that covered US,IOA,SW,BG,AQ and this cost us £1,145.00. June 2015 we bought the universal 2 park bonus for only £547.07 from American Airlines U.K... so in less than 2 years the price for universal only has more than doubled with nothing additional being included (as volcano bay won't even be opened yet!).

We have bought our Disney tickets for March from Thomson and this has cost me £1,327.20 for the 5 of us. In June 2015 it cost us £1,355.00 (so actually cost us £27.80 more 2 years ago!) for the same tickets without memory maker being included, I had to buy this on top.

So with Disney you're getting 4 theme parks, 2 water parks, mini golf and memory maker which in comparison to universal is much more value for money.

I'm still not best pleased at it coming to this though as all our favourites are at Universal which I think generally is more boy orientated than Disney but financially it just makes more sense to get value for your hard earned cash.
Old 7 Feb 17, 06:10 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
Erm, they do.

You can buy a 1 day, 2 day, 3 day or 4 day ticket for the Universal parks from Universal (either from their website or at the gate). In fact, that's what Americans have to buy - they don't get the option to buy 14 day tickets.

Surprisingly, the UK 14 day tickets are actually heavily discounted - they are about the same price as the 3 day tickets.
well it looks like a got a bargain after all
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 17, 08:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Leicesterlass
Trainee Dibber

Mobile

We're doing disney for the first time next year so well be getting the 14 Day ticket and then we're planning on a few days off site where we're going to do either Universal or Discovery Cove. It's got to be one or the other because I just can justify the cost for both. Currently Dh and both Dds want to Universal. I'm a bit gutted because I really want to do discovery cove but looks like I'm outnumbered x
Leicesterlass is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 17, 02:34 PM  
Link to this Post

You suggest Universal should take into account you might just want to go for 1 or 2 days? They do! You can buy a one day or a two day ticket from them.

Ditto for Disney, you can buy various combinations of tickets from one day and upwards.

It may be that you prefer Disney over Universal, unfortunately that's no concern of Universal, they also have a business to run, but they give you options, albeit at minimal savings ( ditto Disney ).

I agree it's expensive, whichever parks and tickets you prefer, but I don't think it's going to change.

Originally Posted by stevb63 View Post
what really gets to me is i bought 2 universal tickets for the 3 parks and only plan to use them for 2 days even thou they are good for 14 days ,what a waste in my view ,universal should take the price into consideration and offer lower price tickets for familys who only want a day or so.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Feb 17, 01:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Harry
Imagineer

Harry's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3
We've done the same this year... we done US Hollywood last year which for me knocks the spots off the Orlando 2 so I could not justify the ott prices... so it's Dis only with a day trip to Kennedy Space Centre which is a great day out...

"... he is moving like a TREMENDOUS machine... "
Harry is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Feb 17, 09:36 AM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Harry View Post
We've done the same this year... we done US Hollywood last year which for me knocks the spots off the Orlando 2 so I could not justify the ott prices... so it's Dis only with a day trip to Kennedy Space Centre which is a great day out...
It may be that Universal in Hollywood has changed over the years since we went but I didn't think it was a patch on Orlando. And that giant escalator

Trip Report Index
sha9 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 17, 09:37 AM  
Link to this Post
xrae83
slightly serious Dibber

You could wait and see if you have any money left towards the end of the holiday and then get a 1 day ticket. That's what we did on one of our trips. It's $150 for kids and $155 for adults so for one adult and one child would be £240ish.

You could tell him that you don't think that there is any way you an afford it but if there is any spending money left then one of you will take him for one day?

Just an idea. x
xrae83 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 17, 11:35 AM  
Link to this Post
mrsmagoo
Imagineer

I was in the same position as you. Luckily my son has been before but it didn't make it any easier. We were looking at £1500 for 2 days in universal as my OH wont do it in august without staying at one of the hotels. We would have been going labour day weekend so it would be busy. It was made even harder as its his birthday a couple of days later and that's all he wanted to do.

After much talking and debating with my husband we decided that we just couldn't justify it. We told my son and he took it suprisngly well. We told him that we would take him the Harry Potter studios instead and he was very happy with that.

It has worked out even better though as the weekend we should have been in universal looks like it will be the first MNSSHP so we can go to that and we also catch Epcot food and wine. Its horrible but unfortuantely kids don't get how expensive things are and we as parents have to make these decisions.

Hope it all works out well
mrsmagoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List