Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 22 Aug 17, 11:08 AM  
Link to this Post
*cath*
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
SUV to Full size saloon

So most people seem to either hire SUVs or sports cars, we are no different in that we've always booked an Intermediate SUV.
To be honest me and the hubby aren't really fussed, it's our teenager that has a massive love of cars and looking for a car in line at the Alamo garage seems to be his favourite part of the holiday!
This year he says why not get a Full Size saloon. My thoughts are that it may seem smaller and a bit of a downgrade after having an SUV.
Has anyone recently had a large saloon after having an SUV?
What are your thoughts?
Thanks

2016 - Orlando - Town Center Villa
2017 - Rotonda West, Gulf Coast
2017 Nov - New York
2018 - Bradenton, Gulf Coast
2023 - Orlando/Gulf Coast
*cath* is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 17, 05:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Jlo31
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by *cath* View Post
So most people seem to either hire SUVs or sports cars, we are no different in that we've always booked an Intermediate SUV.
To be honest me and the hubby aren't really fussed, it's our teenager that has a massive love of cars and looking for a car in line at the Alamo garage seems to be his favourite part of the holiday!
This year he says why not get a Full Size saloon. My thoughts are that it may seem smaller and a bit of a downgrade after having an SUV.
Has anyone recently had a large saloon after having an SUV?
What are your thoughts?
Thanks
Large saloons have loads of room and massive boots/trunks. We ordered a premium car and ended up with a Chevy Impala. Full size would get you anything from Hyundai Sonata, Kia Optima, Nissan Altima, Ford Fusion, Chevy Malibu. It's luck of the draw what's there when you arrive.

I ordered a premium with Dollar and was hopeful off trying a Nissan Maxima or Ford Taurus but there were nothing on arrival and then 2 cars came in..a high mileage Dodge Charger (would have loved this but looked well used) so chose the Chevy Impala LT.

I actually think you may have more choice going full size rather than premium as its a more popular car choice.
Jlo31 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 17, 06:46 PM  
Link to this Post
tllasa
Trying for More Ears

I agree with the above. For value for money the full size line is usually a winner. It normally has the largest selection of vehicles and occasionally a mix of other classes which you can take at no extra cost (in June there was a people carrier, intermediate SUV and three pick up trucks). We have had most classes and size wise would say there's not much difference between inter SUV and full size car other than ride height. Plus your luggage isn't on show on the last day before the airport...
tllasa is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 17, 07:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisbon
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Full size is the car of my choice but I would get an American make, we also had an Impala one year and it was lovely ( I would have bought it home if I could have ) but the following year a Hyundai Sonata which was horrible
Rob
Lisbon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 17, 12:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Goodisoner
Apprentice Imagineer

We recently had a full size SUV in California and then picked up a full size car in Florida. We really struggled with the luggage in Florida, we had 4 large suitcases and had to put one in the footwell in the back of the car and other bags on seats.

Joint profile for Mr and Mrs Goodisoner.
Staybridge Suites I-Drive 2011, Homewood Suites I-Drive 2013,
Old Key West August 2015,
West Coast, Vegas & Orlando 2017.
Goodisoner is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 17, 12:25 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

We had a Ford Fusion and it was lovely. Boot was a strange shape though. I think it would be hard to get 4 case in
BevS97 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 17, 12:35 PM  
Link to this Post
*cath*
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
Mobile

Thanks everyone that's really useful. There are 3 of us so think the boot would be ok. Hubby likes the idea of not being able to see your luggage and shopping. I however do like the seated position of the SUV

2016 - Orlando - Town Center Villa
2017 - Rotonda West, Gulf Coast
2017 Nov - New York
2018 - Bradenton, Gulf Coast
2023 - Orlando/Gulf Coast
*cath* is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List