Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 23 Jan 18, 09:44 PM  
Link to this Post
ClareO
slightly serious Dibber

ClareO's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 4
Interesting thread. We have decided to go one step further and not do Disney (we found it too busy in August last year and apart from AK not much had changed from previous years). At first I thought that saves the ticket prices but when I started to add up all the restaurants we would normally do I’ve realised the savings are much greater than I first thought. Coupled with the parking, drinks and souvenirs I end up buying it will probably be a fair whack. Don’t get me wrong we’ve made a decision to have a more slow paced holiday and I appreciate it’s not for all but when you add up the total cost of Disney it’s mindblowing. To be honest I think I’ll miss the planning of ADRs and FP more than I will the actual doing
ClareO is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 18, 09:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Clare whilst I don't expect to get to that stage as far as Disney is concerned, we have got to that stage with Universal- & the Studios has always been my favourite park but we reckoned with the latest pass plus getting there, we were looking at £300/day
We've just paid £420 each for 14 day Ultimates but plan on upgrading to Aps whilst there, to cover next years trip.
Totally agree on how busy it has gotten, we are Sept travellers & fondly remember the days when you wouldn't have needed a Fastpass all day, unfortunately not any more! I've said on a previous post, that I feel sorry for the people that are new to this & this is their norm, Disney continue to cutback & there was always tiny little details that are there no longer. I found it most amusing the year the hopping Brer Rabbit wasn't working on Splash, you would float passed & he was just folded up
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 18, 10:17 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Via Napoli is good value in that it is meant to be good (thanks for feedback) and that huge pizza feeds a family of 4, even though its a very pricey pizza. Liberty Tree looks v good for lunch, but we don't eat big lunches and the family style evening meals are getting into pricey territory.
Longhorns I agree- they can be brilliant- they do vary in quality though. I was on one in Delaware or Virginia 2.5 years ago and it was poor, then last summer one in Pennsylvania and it was average. The two on 192, particularly the one next to Super Target were both brilliant though when was last there- I still say that one is one of the best ribeyes I have ever had, it was better than the Filet I had from Narcoosees.
I agree about the Longhorns near Super Target on the 192, there's an Olive Garden there too that's the best I've tried in the Orlando area.

I, too, am fed up with the food quality in Disney and the over inflated prices that go with it.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 18, 10:25 PM  
Link to this Post
nadya
Imagineer

We are dvc and had 11 nights offsite followed by 10 nights onsite last year-didn't eat a single TS meal,and only 1 counter service(yak and yeti).This coming from someone who loved the free ddp on previous stays.we did miss the crystal palace breakfast but that's about all!.I do enjoy the onsite meals but the prices for us as a group of 9 were eye watering($340 for breakfast anyone?) and we enjoyed our off site meals and meals at home very much too.just that one qs was over $140 for us for just meals and a drink,2 of those kids meals.Hope you have a great time-its different but just as enjoyable.we still had snacks in the parks-2 of my sons have asd so adr timings and waiting was often a bit much for them-this suited us better.
Edited to add-we did enjoy a few meals at Disney springs-earl of sandwich/blaze pizza and Wolfgang pucks always a favourite and reasonable too

Edited at 10:28 PM.
nadya is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 18, 10:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Mobile

Funny we had a similar conversation when discussing what to do next year - so far we’ve tended to book delux and ‘free’ ddp. But it’s getting too costly so looking at a moderate or value or even the swan and dolphin with less or no ddp.
This year we are skipping Disney completely and doing offsite followed by a week at universal - not even a Disney day.
In terms of your bang for buck we paid oop last year at spice road table and had some of the tapas style food to share - I’d do that again as we really enjoyed it.
Would love to read your food report to see if you feel it makes any difference to the enjoyment of your holiday.
Old 24 Jan 18, 12:34 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Thanks for all your feedback, surprising so many feel the same way.

Has Disney pushed the envelope too far on price / quality or does the fact the restaurants always seem busy mean they don't care?

Regarding a break from Disney, well we only go every other year so fatigue doesn't set in. We also are lucky enough to have 4 holidays a year (I work 60-70 hours a week, so it's money well spent with the kids). Our main holiday is always USA, but we travel all over, 25 States and counting. So we have tons of travel variety fortunately.

So when we get back to Disney every 2 years I'm always looking forward to it. We bought DVC and I really like that 'bubble' and staying at the different resorts, I bought to stay in a different one each time.

But even then we like only 9-10 days at Disney, with some time on the Gulf or whatever. So I love going and come 2020 I'll be chomping at the bit to see Star Wars and probably stay in the Riviera.

I've got to do my second set of ADRs in a few days and I'm sticking with my initial plan. I'll still be eating in 4 table service at Disney, and 5 out of Disney ( 1 when at Kidani and 4 in St Augustine), so it's still quite a few. It means Disney have lost 6 table service they'd have had in the past.

Thanks for all the tips. I'll definitely do a trip report and advice in 6 months, if anyone remembers by then!

Edited at 12:37 AM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 18, 02:50 PM  
Link to this Post
LadyDebs86
VIP Dibber

We're headed on our first trip as DVC members in April after two DDP trips in the past few years. Its a weird one for me as I enjoyed most of the onsite restaurants we went to on those holidays but now we're paying out of pocket I just cannot summon up enough enthusiasm to justify the cost of many table service meals. Plus I find being on the DDP such a drain on time, and we found having to be places at certain times very restrictive, especially when we were booked in for meals at times that we weren't even hungry.

For our seven night stay I have booked only 3 ADRs - Homecomin, California Grill brunch and lunch at Be our Guest. I had the Bon Voyage breakfast booked at Trattoria al Forno (we're staying at BWV) but I cancelled it as I just didnt consider it worth the cost and I know we'll be just as happy with a pastry or something in the room.

I may relent and book Crystal Palace or Tusker House nearer the time as we do love those buffet breakfasts in the park.

Its a bit of a shame as I absolutely loved choosing all the restaurants last time and booking ADRs, and I think on future trips I would be tempted to buy the DDP even though I know its not great value.

Edited at 02:51 PM.
LadyDebs86 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 18, 06:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We gave up on Disney dining years ago. The food and service (including signatures) is disappointing to say the least. There are some lovely restaurants in Orlando which knock spots off Disney. Plenty of decent places at Dr Phillips.
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 18, 06:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Welshjim22
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

We have 21 nights in Orlando in 3mths. Only one evening Adr for BOG and one breakfast at tusker. It is simply too expensive for average food, if not on dining plan, to do too often.

I would far rather be eating at Longhorn or TGI's most nights. Or even eating in apartment a few nights.

We did think The boathouse was very good though last year.
Welshjim22 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 18, 10:18 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post

I also got thinking, like many no doubt, my whole ADR regimented and expensive restaurant mindset started with a free dining plan. Did the DDP and the hype over having to make all these restaurant bookings 180 days out, scrambling for the most highly prized reservations, ‘condition’ me that this had to be done at Disney? I was reminded of a simpler time, when Mrs YT and I first went just after meeting 25 years ago. Wondering around with no plans, eating what was back then unusual Mexican food from the QS in Epcot and watching the fireworks. I still have great memories of those days (fireworks in Epcot were also much better, they sent tons up, and all the countries lit up with their own music and everyone from that country cheered).
Agree with everything