Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 2 Jul 08, 01:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridafan
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 53
Was it something I said? We were stopped in PI back in April and answered some questions. They then e-mailed a very extensive survey about DTD and PI to which I answered completely as I found it on the night in question. Our visit was memorable but for the wrong reasons. More from a "never going there again" perspective. We, like others, have spent many many happy and fun evenings just wandering about, soaking up the atmosphere, waiting for New Year, etc, etc. However, there's no New Year, no shops and no atmosphere - mainly because there are no visitors.

We felt all alone and a bit noticeable (we were approached several times by the same guy trying to get answers to his survey). We went to the Comedy Warehouse which was nearly full and it was the same old same old. When the show finished the people just disappeared.

I am not surprised quite frankly that it will all close. Disney have tweaked this place over the years and have trimmed bits off here and there - what do they expect? As I said in my survey - people vote with their feet and they are more likely to have a better evening in City Walk. I think it is a shame that it has come to this.
Old 2 Jul 08, 06:40 PM  
Link to this Post
tracyh
Imagineer

tracyh's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
We personally don't use the clubs, we never have as it's just not our thing..even though we don't have kids. We much prefer to browse the shops and have a couple of drinks with a meal, so for us this is good news.

But everybody is different and I can understand why some people don't want the clubs to close. I certainly understand 'bouncygirls' point about wanting a drink later than 12am some nights to unwind. But I can also see Disney's angle...why have clubs that are empty a lot of the time and losing money when they can have more shops and restaurants that will make money...especially restaurants in peak season when it's hard to get reservations. They would make more money from a diner than a drinker, even without the shops.

I would love to see a couple of restaurants with a more relaxed bar area aswell, like ESPN at Disney Boardwalk for example...I love the atmosphere in there, especially when a game is on. A huge huge huge ESPN at PI would be brill, but I doubt that I'll get that!

April 1999 - Rodeway Inn Sept 2002 - Chatham Park Villa Sept 2004 - Quality Inn Plaza Nov 2005 - Crowne Plaza Universal Nov 2006 - I Drive Inn Sept 2007 - Homewood Suites Jan 2007 - DLP & Paris
Oct 2009 - Road Trip (Groveland, Yosemite, Vegas, Lake Powell, Grand Canyon, Kingman, Palm Springs, Buena Park, Valencia, Santa Barbara, Monterey, San Francisco)

tracyh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 08, 09:15 PM  
Link to this Post

Thumbs up

its certainly time to refresh P.I. You cant take the kids there and after all, disney is all about families. i think it is something new to look forward to.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 08, 10:57 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Scotsmomma View Post
All the clubs are closing for good after September 27th...
yes sorry i got it wrong i thought it was just for one night but apparently its for good! x
Old 3 Jul 08, 12:29 PM  
Link to this Post
nmurray
Apprentice Imagineer

nmurray's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by MATMELSAM View Post
its certainly time to refresh P.I. You cant take the kids there and after all, disney is all about families. i think it is something new to look forward to.
I don't think disney is all about families. I know this is a very large part of it but there is a lot of adults that go without children. I personally think its a shame they are closing PI, although it maybe did need revamped to appeal more. I agree that City Walk will benefit. Lets hope there is still somewhere you can chill without the children as a night off now and again is well deserved.
Kissimmee 89 & 91, All Star Movies 03, Caribbean Beach & St Petes Beach 05, New York 06, All Star Music New Year & B'day Trip 06/07, POFQ Sept 08, New York 10, Bellagio, Las Vegas 12, San Francisco, San Diego & LA 13, Bahama Bay Orlando & Miami 14
nmurray is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 08, 12:33 PM  
Link to this Post

I agree Nic... it's not all just about families... loads of couples or adult groups holiday at Disney... I think Disney are shooting themselves in the foot by closing all the clubs... I think a lot of people that liked a night out there will now head to Citywalk... maybe even choosing to stay in a Universal hotel rather than Disney
Old 3 Jul 08, 02:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Jools
Imagineer

Well if Disney is all about families, my husband and I have been in the wrong place for years now Yes we started to go when our kids were little and we enjoyed everything the parks had to offer. However when they reached the age when they no longer wanted to go with us, we started to enjoy more adult entertainment in PI. We are not clubbers but do enjoy the AC and the CW and would go most nights thanks to our Premium Annual Passes.

A good night for us would be a meal at DTD followed by the cinema and one (or both) of the comedy clubs.

However, I doubt we'll even go to DTD at all in future as we really are not in to 'Disney' shops It will be City Walk for us. Hmm we are going to Vegas in September We went in 2006 and had a blast, especially in the evenings when we saw some fantastic shows. I can see Vegas becoming the new Florida for us. The closure of PI may turn out to be not such a disappointment after all
Jools is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 08, 05:52 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by MATMELSAM View Post
Which is part of the attraction isn't it?

Seems a shame that so many people think that the closing of the clubs at PI is good just because they don't use them - if you don't use them, then it doesn't effect you surely?

Non-families are welcome at Disney too, after all...maybe next they should stop showing anything by "E" (or whatever the US equivalent for "U/PG" is nowadays) films at the AMC in Downtown Disney? Should probably axe Disneyquest too, as that is definitely not a "family" thing in my experience.
Old 4 Jul 08, 10:13 PM  
Link to this Post

Frustrating.

We only found Comedy Warehouse and Adventurers Club last summer - and yes they were cheesey, but they were fun. We don't have kids, and don't get me wrong - we get the Disney = Families + Kids thing - but it was quite nice to have a fun kid-free environment.

Ah well - let's see what they do to the place...
Old 4 Jul 08, 10:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Gonzo1st
Serious Dibber

shame about PI

It is a shame that they are going to close Pi but it has been on the decline since they stopped the bars being ticketed areas only.
I remember when you used to be able to go th PI and have New years Eve every night i had so many fun nights there.
We have booked to go in June next year for my 40th i had thought about going to for my night out will not be able to now

Ah well

Let`s see what they put in place then...

Travel Lodge Main Gate East 2000
Travel Lodge Main Gate East 2005
All Star Movies In Aug 2007
Gonzo1st is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List