Link to this Post
Erial
VIP Dibber

Boston & Cape Cod Road Trip - October 2016 - Day 6 - Provincetown & Cape Cod

Boston & Cape Cod Road Trip
26th October 2016
Day 6 - Provincetown & Cape Cod

Previous: Mohawk Trail & Yankee Candle

It wasn’t until we woke up that we truly appreciated what an amazing view we had from our room. Beautiful blue skies, the sea and boats is my idea of heaven. I really could wake up to a view like this every morning.

We made our way over for breakfast. It was self service and there was loads to choose from. We certainly wouldn’t be needing lunch very early. We were surprised how many people there were at breakfast as the hotel had seemed very quiet when we arrived. They were clearly a quieter more discerning guest than we’d experienced at the Colonnade Hotel in Boston a few days earlier!

Our plan for today was to take Cape Cod’s coastal road up to the very top point of the Cape at Provincetown and work our way back down stopping off at anywhere that took our fancy.

On the way up to Provincetown we stopped by where we had originally planned to stay. There’s no denying it was beautiful but it was very out of season and no one else around so we’d have felt quite isolated. It was also quite a trek from any restaurants.

Provincetown itself was lovely. It very much reminded us of Whitstable in Kent which both Jeff and I love as we used to visit there a lot when we started dating over 20 years ago when we were at university in Canterbury.

There were lots of lovely quirky little independent shops and cafes. However, quite of a few of the cafes had ‘closed for the season’ signs on them.

Provincetown is well known holiday destination for the LGBT community and it had a lovely relaxed community feel to the place. Lots of the locals also seemed to know one another and were very friendly and chatty with each other and with us. There were very few tourists here in October and so there were lots of locals decorating and maintaining the fronts of their galleries, cafes and shops.

I would love to come back here in the height of the season as I suspect the place would have a real party feel to it. However, I believe it gets incredibly busy and the roads a chock a block with people just trying to get to the place. So maybe I wouldn’t like it as much after all – the out of season seaside resort always has a unique feel to it.

After wandering up and down Commercial Street Izzy decided she need the toilet. We decided to see if they had any in the library. Fortunately, they did. It was a lot busier in there than libraries at home. There were lots of locals in there and it was interesting having a look around. We also don’t get libraries that look like this near us – they’re nearly all hideous 70s monstrosities. Perhaps I should petition the local council for a pretty library!

We then made our way down to the beach which looked quite dramatic with its combination of sunshine and dark rolling clouds.

We suspected we were in for a downpour so decided to make our way back towards the car stopping to look in a few shops along the way. Alligator head anyone?

We didn’t fancy the alligator heads but we did pick up some amazing fudge! We scoffed the lot in the car, it really didn’t last long!

Continued below...

2005 - Buena Vista Palace Hotel & Spa * 2011 - Wyndham LBV Resort * 2013 - Sheraton Vistana Resort LBV - Trip Report - Complete * 2014 - Kissimmee Villa - Trip Report - Complete * 2015 - Hard Rock Hotel & Beach Club - Trip Report - Complete * 2016 - New York - Trip Report - Complete * 2016 - Massachusetts Road Trip - Trip Report - Complete * 2017 - Florida Road Trip & Old Key West * 2018 - Florida Road Trip & Polynesian * 2019 - SSR, Grand Floridian & Boardwalk
Erial is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 17, 01:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Erial
VIP Dibber

As the rain was still holding off (indeed it seemed to be getting sunnier) we decided to drive to the very top most point of the Cape.

This area is part of the Cape Cod National Seashore national park and would normal have cost $20 to get in and park. However, with it being out of season none of the kiosks were manned and we just drove straight in.

It was a bit blustery but absolutely amazing to stand on such a beautiful, empty beach and feel the fresh salt air. It sounds corny but it really did make you feel alive! It was like being at the edge of the World!

After feeling thoroughly windswept we jumped back in the car and made the slow drive back down the Cape. We stopped in lots of little village such as Wellfleet. I’m sure that there are all heaving in the summer but it was lovely and quiet at this time of year. I loved that about it. As I mentioned earlier Jeff and I were students in Kent and so the out of season seaside resort suits us – I think it’s because it makes us feel 21 again!

Eventually we arrive backed at Hyannis where we had a very late lunch/early dinner at the Olive Garden. The Olive Garden is always a favourite of ours when we’re in Florida and this one didn’t fail to impress either. One of the reasons we love the Olive Garden is because both of the kids always eat so well in here (especially Izzy who can be a fussy eater) plus it makes a change from chips, burgers and pizza.

We do, however, always order way too much food and we were all absolutely stuffed. I think we had to roll Abi to the car! We decided at this point our best bet was to head back to the hotel for an hour to let dinner go down before we did anything else!

Those dark clouds really were rolling in now!

That evening we decided to hit the Cape Cod Mall. Abi was a little frustrated that we hadn’t much shopping so far and so we needed to make up for it now that we had a car to transport all of our luggage in. Check out the snow plough attachment on the front of that car!

Most of our shopping was for Christmas presents for the girls and family and friends back home. Once we’d shopped ‘til we dropped we made our way back to the hotel and just before bedtime we relaxed with complimentary drinks on the veranda that had fabulous views of the harbour.

Tomorrow: Martha's Vineyard

Thanks for reading.
Claire
x

2005 - Buena Vista Palace Hotel & Spa * 2011 - Wyndham LBV Resort * 2013 - Sheraton Vistana Resort LBV - Trip Report - Complete * 2014 - Kissimmee Villa - Trip Report - Complete * 2015 - Hard Rock Hotel & Beach Club - Trip Report - Complete * 2016 - New York - Trip Report - Complete * 2016 - Massachusetts Road Trip - Trip Report - Complete * 2017 - Florida Road Trip & Old Key West * 2018 - Florida Road Trip & Polynesian * 2019 - SSR, Grand Floridian & Boardwalk

Edited at 01:53 PM.
Erial is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 17, 01:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Hi Claire, I was looking forward to seeing the harbour pics - they are beautiful! I can't believe you had the whole beach to yourselves, it must have felt amazing 😊 Nice to see you managed to fit in some shopping too, I do love culture and scenery but you can't beat popping into BBW for some body sprays and moisturiser! Cheers Michelle x
Sparksy72 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 17, 08:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

What great photos of the beaches - stunning and so much more attractive out of season!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jun 17, 02:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Pussycat Doll
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Your photos look almost identical to mine! We didn't have to pay anywhere either, still out of season and all the kiosks were still closed.
Pussycat Doll is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jun 17, 06:33 PM  
Link to this Post
floridafan101
Very Serious Dibber

floridafan101's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Following with interest especially regarding the weather as we head to New York Boston and beyond on 19th October this year! Lovely report I've added the Duck Tour to our itinerary too.

2006 1st trip to Florida 2008 The return 2009 Its Florida again 2010 Florida again! 2011 Yes! Florida 2013 Florida please! 2015 Back to Florida 2016 California! 2017 New York (and beyond) 2018 East Coast Road Trip 2019 Florida one last time ... again!
floridafan101 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jun 17, 07:35 PM  
Link to this Post
JoB
Serious Dibber

Loving reading your report. Hoping to get lots of ideas for our trip next year. Thanks for posting.
Joanne
JoB is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 17, 09:58 AM  
Link to this Post
disney owl
Imagineer

disney owl's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
another lovely day
June 2001, August 2003,2007 &Sept 2010 - WDW Offsite
June 2005 - DLP Davy Crockett Ranch
disney owl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 17, 09:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Libby
Imagineer

Really enjoying you report.
Libby is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 17, 04:32 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Another great day

Joan