General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 3 Jul 17, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
I can't believe how similar me and the Queen are! Perhaps we were separated at birth? Have you seen the Twins movie with Arnie and Danny DeVito?

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 17, 08:49 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
I can't believe how similar me and the Queen are! Perhaps we were separated at birth? Have you seen the Twins movie with Arnie and Danny DeVito?

Wait...does that mean I have to treat you to a room at the G-Flo, too? It does?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 17, 06:30 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

Oh no, I hate the unpredictability of the weather in the North. It makes packing an absolute nightmare. Nik has been spoiled by too many Florida trips and the last time we went to NYC he wanted to pack shorts. It was April.

I'd love to walk the Freedom Trail. The buildings in Boston seem so well maintained, the exteriors look like film sets (as does Pizzeria Regina, looks like something from a superhero movie). A real shame you didn't know about the Junior Ranger books sooner, I am going to become a Wilderness Explorer this year and I am VERY EXCITED.

The pizzas sound amazing, especially the cheese one, and what a bargain.

Looking forward to Washington!

We appear to have some friends in common.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 17, 09:56 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by collybird View Post
Oh no, I hate the unpredictability of the weather in the North. It makes packing an absolute nightmare. Nik has been spoiled by too many Florida trips and the last time we went to NYC he wanted to pack shorts. It was April.

I'd love to walk the Freedom Trail. The buildings in Boston seem so well maintained, the exteriors look like film sets (as does Pizzeria Regina, looks like something from a superhero movie). A real shame you didn't know about the Junior Ranger books sooner, I am going to become a Wilderness Explorer this year and I am VERY EXCITED.

The pizzas sound amazing, especially the cheese one, and what a bargain.

Looking forward to Washington!

We appear to have some friends in common.
Lol, Colette - I was just telling Poot about the supposed "six degrees of separation" - but I never imagined we'd be connected by a MONKEY. And love your plaits in that snap - ALL your park photos are so cute. I often feel rather...moose-like as I tower over the characters on my size 8 feet.

The weather really did mess with our trip - we had a day in D.C. that was practically wasted because the weather just would not cooperate. They said 80 degrees! But instead there was freezing rain - and more snow. And because it was APRIL - of course we couldn't find any warm clothes to buy. Sigh.

We all just loved Boston - so much history and beauty, but still such a locals' town. The hotels are dear, but the activities and food I found quite reasonable (and you remember how I felt about the transport prices ). We had to go up to the American embassy in London this week (Joy! Rapture! ) to renew Poot's passport - and because all the appointments are in the morning we needed rush-hour tickets. Two adults and one child - Ł56. That's my weekly GROCERY bill.

Can't recommend Pizzeria Regina enough (you have to love a place where they bring your kid a extra RAMEKIN of anchovies) - and at least the bad weather meant we didn't have to wait in a massive queue there.

Give yourself a couple of days to complete the WE book - there are A LOT of activities in it. The ones Poot enjoyed the most were the "culture" badges - as he got to talk to pretty girls from Indonesia, land of volcanoes.

And I feel stupid whenever I recommend videos to youngies - but do you watch Magic Journeys' Disneyland food vlogs? I really like them - as they are super positive and they keep the language family-friendly.

If you already watch, then please ignore () - but if you don't, well - I thought of you when Poot and I watched their most recent vlog:

Keep watching until you see their "celebration".

Old 18 Jul 17, 11:55 AM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

I didn't forget you! I have just been waiting for a spare second to watch the vlog! I would love to go to California, but Nik isn't keen on the flight length. I actually LOLed at their 'celebration', how very innocent.

KFC in the UK is superior to the US, nowhere near as greasy and our menu has far more variety. We wanted to try KFC in the States last year but my mum doesn't like chicken on the bone. Before we set off I explained to her that they don't sell burgers and asked if she still wanted to go, she agreed so off we went. Before I ordered I asked what she wanted, 'I'll just have a wrap please'. Naively I thought she would realise, 'they don't sell burgers', extended to sandwiches/wraps/burritos of all types.

I haven't heard of Magic Journeys before. My friend and I have a sort of video club where we pick a box set and watch it simultaneously then discuss. It doesn't leave much time for vlogs, although I would love to be able to watch more.

Eek your countdown! I didn't realise it was so soon, how exciting.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 17, 03:57 PM  
Link to this Post

I didn't forget you! I have just been waiting for a spare second to watch the vlog! I would love to go to California, but Nik isn't keen on the flight length. I actually LOLed at their 'celebration', how very innocent.

KFC in the UK is superior to the US, nowhere near as greasy and our menu has far more variety. We wanted to try KFC in the States last year but my mum doesn't like chicken on the bone. Before we set off I explained to her that they don't sell burgers and asked if she still wanted to go, she agreed so off we went. Before I ordered I asked what she wanted, 'I'll just have a wrap please'. Naively I thought she would realise, 'they don't sell burgers', extended to sandwiches/wraps/burritos of all types.

I haven't heard of Magic Journeys before. My friend and I have a sort of video club where we pick a box set and watch it simultaneously then discuss. It doesn't leave much time for vlogs, although I would love to be able to watch more.

Eek your countdown! I didn't realise it was so soon, how exciting.

Going to try and be quick here () - TF has arrived. R.C. has taken the lads over to (Roman) St. Albans for the afternoon. TF seems very sad and his English is no better. I have NO idea how he's going to cope at school.

Because R.C. works late into the night, I always have a couple hours to myself to read or what have you. I love being able to put YouTube on while I do chores. I like Magic Journeys - but I think my favourite (in that same "innocent" vein) is Mickey Views. I appreciate things I can watch WITH Poot - there seems to be less and less of that about these days. And the second I saw they were at a Kentucky Fried Chicken - I knew I wanted to tell you about that video. I ALMOST PM'd you - but I thought that might be pushing it.

I like the idea of a video club - but I always have scads of things on my Sky Planner that I record and then never watch.

Aw, your mother - - that reminded me of R.C. at fast food restaurants. "Just get me something I'll like."

Food on the bone's OK with me - but I do struggle with chicken wings and tiny birds like quail - it's the itty-bittyness that freaks me out.
Old 19 Jul 17, 12:50 AM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

Thank you for the tip, I will check out Mickey Views. We used to really enjoy Joe and Ashley (See Ya Reel Soon), they were very child friendly but a bit lovey dovey. They've stopped vlogging now as they've had a baby but they've left all their old videos up.

I hope TF is settling in well, I am so sorry to hear he seems sad. Are you going to talk to him mostly in English to help him improve? I also hope Poot is adapting well to sharing you!
Old 19 Jul 17, 08:59 AM  
Link to this Post

Thank you for the tip, I will check out Mickey Views. We used to really enjoy Joe and Ashley (See Ya Reel Soon), they were very child friendly but a bit lovey dovey. They've stopped vlogging now as they've had a baby but they've left all their old videos up.

I hope TF is settling in well, I am so sorry to hear he seems sad. Are you going to talk to him mostly in English to help him improve? I also hope Poot is adapting well to sharing you!
I did watch a couple of the See Ya Reel Soon vlogs - I remember they went to MNSSHP as the couple from the Carousel of Progress! Adorable...but yes, a bit lovey-dovey for this INTJ. Heart of a prison warden, you may remember.

Mickey Views is a very sweet (and very young) man who is more "news" than vlog. He does a little "show" every week - Poot and I enjoy watching together. We watched his D23 updates with great interest. Yay! that Mickey is finally getting his own ride - but I will miss TGMR, which I think could have been great again with an update or three.

And YES - I determined that I would only speak to TF in English - but I just CAN'T. He doesn't understand.

I like SGP. We have a lot in common - and view the world quite similarly. So it seems utterly baffling to me that she can't see how much trouble he's going to have at school. She says there isn't a specific English-for-foreigners type class - but if he can't answer "What do you want to drink?" in English - how will he learn LONG DIVISION in it?

We had a terrible storm here last night - it woke me and I sat there for a few hours just fretting about this. I am trying to remind myself that I am NOT his mother - but now I feel involved, and as such - sort of responsible.

We're off sightseeing in a minute - thanks for all your support.
Old 19 Jul 17, 09:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Krispy Smore vlogs are fun and family friendly. They do DLP as well as WDW.

See Ya Reel Soon got on my nerves!

There are two American ladies I'm watching cruise vlogs of. They do go a bit over the top and plug Etsy constantly, but they are fun.
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 17, 10:26 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
Krispy Smore vlogs are fun and family friendly. They do DLP as well as WDW.

See Ya Reel Soon got on my nerves!

There are two American ladies I'm watching cruise vlogs of. They do go a bit over the top and plug Etsy constantly, but they are fun.
I've tried Krispy Smore - but they weren't for me. And I'm not sure why - but thank you.

Are the two American ladies "Sea Cruisers"? If so, then I know the ones you mean. They also have a channel called "Everything Disney Pins" - which I quite like - despite myself.