Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 22 Jul 16, 07:10 PM  
Link to this Post

Boston SHOPPING REPORT - Spring 2016 (Vans, Sport, Nerdy Bits)

A (Small and Peculiar) Shopping Report - Boston - Spring 2016

Trippie Index Here

Day 7 Here

I LOVE reading shopping reports...I have even been known to watch Disney World Hauls on YouTube…please don’t tell my husband...

I’m a wee bit nosy - and I really like seeing the different things that other families bring back.

SO... despite the fact that neither Mr. Abercrombie nor Mr. Fitch will make an appearance in this “haul”, I’m going to post it in case other Dibbers have weirder/nerdier tastes - like me!

We flew hand luggage only - limited space meant not TOO many purchases. So this should be a relatively short post (lucky you!).

We were four on the Boston portion of our holiday:

Me (April) Looking for LeSportsac
DM (Judybat) USA! USA! USA!
DH (R.C.) For Whom Shopping is a Social Disease
DS (Poot) America = Reese's Pieces and SpongeBob Comic Books

I’ll list our two “advance purchases” first, and then list other things by shop. I will put our book purchases at the end of the report, so bibliophiles can go right to them and bibliophobes can skip them!

Advance Purchases:

Before we left England, I ordered DS (Poot) a Boston Bruins ballcap.

It’s not dated/marked in any way, but it is last year’s design (this did not matter to any of us, lol).

I had it sent to my mother (she lives in America) and she brought it to Boston. It was $4.00 from Amazon - cheap as chips, but a really nice Reebok cap with embossing and embroidery.

Poot wearing the cap:

Love the name of this joint! We had Poot pose under the sign because he is OBSESSED with cheese...

I think if you have sons, it can be less “fun” to pick out clothes for them and to...costume them (for lack of a better term...lol!) in themed clothes for hols.

Amazon and cbssportsshop.com can be great sources of top-quality, dirt-cheap American sporting goods. And they both deliver to third-party addresses. I have a big order from CBS Sports Shop waiting for me at Mockingjay right now...trying not to think about some of the Mockingjay horror stories I JUST read...

I do always get Poot a cap or shirt or something from a local sports team. When we checked in at Logan, the baggage handler tried to talk to Poot about the previous night’s game...no luck there...

...but he and I ended up having a really fun conversation about 1980s hockey studs. Dino! Dino! Dino!

I adore my husband - but sometimes it’s hard that our upbringings were so wildly different - all the superficial pop culture stuff from my childhood (I grew up in the nightclub business) is just LOST on R.C.

Cue: What on EARTH were you talking about with that man? What is a Dee-No?

DM also brought out a baseball for Poot. She had picked it up at Twins Spring Training in Florida earlier in the month, and she had asked Twins closer (at the time...) Glen Perkins to autograph it.

What a sweet grandmother…

Glen Perkins clearly flunked handwriting class!

On to the Boston Purchases...

At the 2016 World Figure Skating Championships:

There was PRECIOUS LITTLE good quality merchandise available to purchase. It was mostly white or grey t-shirts screen-printed with this design:

Very blah, sadly.

My lovely mother eventually settled on a smart ladies’ fleece very like this one (but in white).

I thought about buying one of these - but they cost $90 - and I didn’t really see myself wearing a white Team USA fleece in my everyday life here in England.

I was a little bit sad not to get anything for myself, but I have my photos.

Marshalls:

I LOVE Marshalls. It’s owned by the same company that owns TJ Maxx/TK Maxx, and the stores are very similar. So last year’s styles, overstocks, etc…

We shopped at the Marshalls just down from Copley Square.

I was very conscious of how little room I had in my case, so I restrained myself and only bought:

This ADORABLE pair of Alice in Wonderland Vans - $24.99

These are NOT the Disney Vans - I think this is a Liberty fabric, but since I found them at Marshalls, there was no box and no Vans tag. How cute is this print?

I don’t actually wear flats - ever...so what am I going to do with these? I occasionally take them out of their box and admire them...

I couldn’t resist them...has anybody out there ever been able to put a little “lifting” insole in this style of Vans? It doesn’t seem like there’s much room...

I have actually found quite a few of the Disney Vans at the TKMaxx in Hatfield - Jungle Book, Cheshire Cat, Mickey Mouse - but I had NEVER seen these before!

continued in next post

Edited at 07:20 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 16, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post

continued from previous post

Marshalls, continued:

A DC United (it’s just screen-printed) t-shirt for DS - $4.99

We were off to DC after we left Boston. It was *supposed* to be t-shirt weather down there, and I thought this shirt would make for some cute snaps around town. I think it did!

Poot wearing his shirt in front of the National Gallery of Art.

I also picked up my FAVOURITE snack food - Chicago Mix Popcorn (a mixture of cheese popcorn and caramel popcorn).

I have occasionally seen this at TK Maxx in Hatfield - but there are SO MANY BRANDS to choose from in America. My favourite is Cretor’s. Yum!

CVS (CVS is like Walgreens - I didn’t see any Walgreens on this trip):

American Easter Candy - $6.00 for a massive bag

We were in Boston during Easter week, and CVS had all the Easter candy at 75% off…

I bought some Robin’s Eggs (malted milk balls but with a hard shell - so good!)

Reese’s carrots

Reese’s Easter eggs (these are SO DEAR at our local supermarket)

and...Russell Stover eggs in several different flavours. The coconut one was especially nice…

Confession time - I meant to bring all these back to England...but DM and I ate all the Robin’s Eggs before we left Boston. Oink!

Boston Patch - $1.99

Poot always has an old-school denim jacket with badges and patches. His current one is full - this will go on the next one.

If you buy patches, there were much nicer ones at the National Park shop in Faneuil Hall, but I didn’t know that when I bought this one.

Faneuil Hall National Park Shop:

Liberty Junior Ranger Activity Book - Free

This was a freebie, but I wanted to mention it because it is SO FAB for kids.

An example of the pages inside:

Pick this up at the National Park desk inside Faneuil Hall - when your child completes the activities he can redeem it for a reward (usually a patch, badge or poster).

I also bought these “Flags of the Revolution” t-shirts.

Mine is the Gadsden Flag - “Don’t Tread on Me” - $18.95

All the kids’ t-shirts (that day) had the “Join or Die” motif - $8.95

If you can fit in a kids’ XL (American clothes do run big) you can save a lot of $$

NB: All the souvenirs from the National Park shop are tax-free.

continued in next post
Old 22 Jul 16, 09:57 PM  
Link to this Post

continued from previous post

Sorry to be splitting this into several posts...we live in the country and have mercurial broadband - so I like to get things posted quickly before the evil orange light undoes all my work.

Barnes and Noble (Prudential Center) :

SpongeBob Comic - $2.99

Poot loves the Spongebob comics - we can’t get these near us (though I know you can buy them up in London, I just never remember).

He also chose the latest issue of Birds and Blooms.

I got a Food Network Magazine (around $5.00?). I LOVE the recipes in this - you’ll need a set of American measuring cups, though.

The best issue ever (defibrillator not included)...

Harvard Book Store:

These are all Poot's purchases. He saves up for American book-buying sprees.

Island on Fire - $14.00

This is a non-fiction account of Laki’s 1783 eruption (this is a book for adults - but Poot (aged 9) read it - it took a while - he recommends it to other budding volcanologists).

The Childhood of Famous Americans: Lou Gehrig - $2.00

A Strong Right Arm: The Story of Mamie “Peanut” Johnson - $2.00

Both of these are children’s biographies of famous baseball players. Peanut Johnson is a woman!

Boston Public Library Book Sale:

I picked up two books for R.C.

Parisians by Graham Robb - $2.00

To Rule The Waves: How the British Navy Shaped the Modern World by Arthur Herman - $1.00

If you read Graham Robb’s FANTASTIC book "The Discovery of France”, you may want to try “Parisians” - I love the subtitle: “An Adventure History of Paris”. His books are so readable - you learn a lot - but you don’t notice it until after the fact.

DH works like a coolie, he has little time to read - but he has found time for, and recommends "To Rule the Waves". A good dose of patriotism in these uncertain times...

The rest of the books from the library sale were for Poot. He LOVES American children’s books - there are so many more from which to choose.

I'll only mention the ones that I think *might* be of interest...

Fiction:

The Bears on Hemlock Mountain - $2.00

This is an ADORABLE "older" picture book about facing fears. "There are NO bears on Hemlock Mountain, no bears, no bears at all."

The Ramsay Scallop, The Stowaway, Run Away Home - $1.00 each

These are all historical fiction titles for children, though "The Stowaway" is based on a true story - of California Pirates!

"The Ramsay Scallop" is about a pilgrimage made by a betrothed (and feuding teenaged) couple to Santiago de Compostela in 1299.

"Run Away Home" is about a friendship that develops between a black girl and a runaway Apache boy in the post-war South (spoiler alert: they are modelled on the author's own ancestors, so more than friendship must develop, eventually...).

I think that reading GOOD historical fiction helps bring history alive for kids in ways that nonfiction alone cannot.

Nonfiction:

Young Man from the Piedmont: The Youth of Thomas Jefferson - $2.00

This is by the AMAZING children's author Leonard Wibberley - his books are so inspiring to kids, especially boys.

Audubon Society Field Guide to American Birds (Eastern) - $1.00

Poot was SO happy to find this to aid in his bird-spotting. He loves nature, and these sorts of field guides cost a fortune!

Can you tell we homeschool?

I hope this has been even somewhat (?) interesting to one or two people out there in Dibbland......

I've never done a shopping report even though I love them - as we tend to buy different things than most people who post - do let me know if you’d like to see our purchases from Washington and Baltimore.

Day 8 (Boston to DC, DC Activities) Here

Edited at 08:09 PM.
Old 24 Jul 16, 09:38 AM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Hi April

I wrote a massive reply to this last night but my iPad died and it went into the Internet ether

I'll try and recreate!

I really enjoyed your report, one of my favourites for a long time. I suppose because it was different, but you really have an engaging and humourous writing style.

Love the cheese sign photo of Poot

Had no idea you could do park ranger activities in Boston! My DDs (who were, frankly, probably far too old for it) absolutely loved this in Yosemite.

The shopping opportunities look great - especially the books - we are all bookworms and eldest DD has always spent all her money on books when on holiday (much to my "Joy" from a luggage allowance perspective). You found some very interesting ones!

How are you finding your Food Network books? I've picked up a few over the years and I'm rubbish at actually making stuff from them but do enjoy reading them. I've wasted ahem spent many hours with my Alton Brown Good Eats DVD collection. Enjoy his quirky humour, pseudo scientific approach

So, thank you for sharing - I really enjoyed it - and would really like to hear more from Washington and Baltimore (what made you choose those three cities?)
Old 24 Jul 16, 07:53 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
Hi April

I wrote a massive reply to this last night but my iPad died and it went into the Internet ether

I'll try and recreate!

I really enjoyed your report, one of my favourites for a long time. I suppose because it was different, but you really have an engaging and humourous writing style.

Love the cheese sign photo of Poot

Had no idea you could do park ranger activities in Boston! My DDs (who were, frankly, probably far too old for it) absolutely loved this in Yosemite.

The shopping opportunities look great - especially the books - we are all bookworms and eldest DD has always spent all her money on books when on holiday (much to my "Joy" from a luggage allowance perspective). You found some very interesting ones!

How are you finding your Food Network books? I've picked up a few over the years and I'm rubbish at actually making stuff from them but do enjoy reading them. I've wasted ahem spent many hours with my Alton Brown Good Eats DVD collection. Enjoy his quirky humour, pseudo scientific approach

So, thank you for sharing - I really enjoyed it - and would really like to hear more from Washington and Baltimore (what made you choose those three cities?)
Thank you so much for your kind replies...

I have had posts zapped out of existence, too (we have mercurial broadband here in the country).

I now use GoogleDocs and cut and paste things over - that way I don't throw the laptop out the window...

We are major bibliophiles in our house; after all - culture is a universal language! My husband and I courted and married because of a book...Aw...

I have a couple of the Food Network cookbooks as well as the magazines - I really like the recipes - having lived in America for so long, it's enormously fun to introduce my son to American food. I remember the first time I made him chicken and waffles...

There really isn't a food magazine here in England that I think is *fun* to read, they're all so serious...I always pick up either "Every Day with Rachael Ray" or "Food Network" when we're in America!

As to the cities:

Boston we picked because of the figure skating competition (that was just meant to be DM and I).

I asked my husband (fully expecting that he would say no) if he and DS wanted to come and do “manly things” while we ladies watched the skating. He said yes. Oh, dear (Dear).

It felt silly for all of us to go over to America just for a few days, so I priced out multi-city tickets. They were only £30 more (for NY, DC or Philly) - so we let Poot pick the other city to visit.

He picked DC, and we added on Baltimore when we found out that the Minnesota Twins (and Poot's hero, Joe Mauer) were going to play in Baltimore during our DC stay).

I was nervous about posting the "haul" - I recognise that our lives are pretty different from most people's lives, and our tastes are as well, I suppose...

So you have really rather made my night.
Old 24 Jul 16, 11:23 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Originally Posted by GopherLass View Post
Thank you so much for your kind replies...

I have had posts zapped out of existence, too (we have mercurial broadband here in the country).

I now use GoogleDocs and cut and paste things over - that way I don't throw the laptop out the window...

We are major bibliophiles in our house; after all - culture is a universal language! My husband and I courted and married because of a book...Aw...

I have a couple of the Food Network cookbooks as well as the magazines - I really like the recipes - having lived in America for so long, it's enormously fun to introduce my son to American food. I remember the first time I made him chicken and waffles...

There really isn't a food magazine here in England that I think is *fun* to read, they're all so serious...I always pick up either "Every Day with Rachael Ray" or "Food Network" when we're in America!

As to the cities:

Boston we picked because of the figure skating competition (that was just meant to be DM and I).

I asked my husband (fully expecting that he would say no) if he and DS wanted to come and do “manly things” while we ladies watched the skating. He said yes. Oh, dear (Dear).

It felt silly for all of us to go over to America just for a few days, so I priced out multi-city tickets. They were only £30 more (for NY, DC or Philly) - so we let Poot pick the other city to visit.

He picked DC, and we added on Baltimore when we found out that the Minnesota Twins (and Poot's hero, Joe Mauer) were going to play in Baltimore during our DC stay).

I was nervous about posting the "haul" - I recognise that our lives are pretty different from most people's lives, and our tastes are as well, I suppose...

So you have really rather made my night.
I can relate to the mercurial broadband. We live within our city limits, but so far on the edge we are surrounded by brambles and cowpats...

I read your pre trippie after posting this, and answered my own question about "why" these three particular choices (and thank you for being kind enough to post here, to answer my nosiness).

I feel like I need to add you to expand on the book, courting, and meeting your husband (remember: nosey). If you don't care to share could you at least tell me the book, so I can make up my own version of events?!

Starting to remember some of what I wrote previously; I love your Alice Liberty print Vans. They are wonderful. In terms of never actually wearing them, though? I can't believe anyone would do that. I certainly never would. Anyone that says I have a pair of Minnie Mouse red carpet limited edition trainers, still mint in box, that get taken out periodically, stroked, and then replaced (lovingly) would be entirely wrong. Obviously
Old 25 Jul 16, 09:51 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
I can relate to the mercurial broadband. We live within our city limits, but so far on the edge we are surrounded by brambles and cowpats...

I read your pre trippie after posting this, and answered my own question about "why" these three particular choices (and thank you for being kind enough to post here, to answer my nosiness).

I feel like I need to add you to expand on the book, courting, and meeting your husband (remember: nosey). If you don't care to share could you at least tell me the book, so I can make up my own version of events?!

We met when we had adjacent seats on a long-haul flight. I was deeply impressed by DH's excellent table manners - even using his plastic airplane knife to eat his peas. MANNERS MAKETH MAN.

The book was a fascinating history of Islam and the West by the Australian historian Paul Fregosi (RIP). I was trying to remember the name of said historian, but couldn't. The pea-eater gave me his business card and asked me to drop him a note with the information when I got home.

I did.

We courted for about two years, and then I moved (back) here to marry him.

Starting to remember some of what I wrote previously; I love your Alice Liberty print Vans. They are wonderful. In terms of never actually wearing them, though? I can't believe anyone would do that. I certainly never would. Anyone that says I have a pair of Minnie Mouse red carpet limited edition trainers, still mint in box, that get taken out periodically, stroked, and then replaced (lovingly) would be entirely wrong. Obviously

My sister from another mister! Oh, dear...I am definitely too old to say that...
I have answered your questions in the above quote (I hope!).

Thanks again for following along - your kindness is appreciated.
Old 30 Jul 16, 01:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

I just had to tell you how much I enjoyed your trip to Boston. It is the "big city" where we would go for day trips but I never knew about the BPL book sales-not a safe thing to know about. I love children's books and buy way too many for my grandson, who is just 2. If you ever head back this way, there is a wonderful New Hampshire chain "Toadstool Bookstores" which not only have a wonderful children's section but have an even better sale table where wonderful books are often 50 to 80 percent off.

I also smiled when I saw the field guide. My middle guy got into birdwatching when he was 7 and began collecting and memorizing field guides. He now works as a wildlife biologist and continues to spent his non work time, going out and looking for birds and other things in nature. And my two year old grandson already knows more birds than most adults.

YOur son sounds like a truly charming and interesting little boy.

Edited at 01:07 AM.
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 16, 10:17 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Ridersmom View Post
I just had to tell you how much I enjoyed your trip to Boston. It is the "big city" where we would go for day trips but I never knew about the BPL book sales-not a safe thing to know about. I love children's books and buy way too many for my grandson, who is just 2. If you ever head back this way, there is a wonderful New Hampshire chain "Toadstool Bookstores" which not only have a wonderful children's section but have an even better sale table where wonderful books are often 50 to 80 percent off.

I also smiled when I saw the field guide. My middle guy got into birdwatching when he was 7 and began collecting and memorizing field guides. He now works as a wildlife biologist and continues to spent his non work time, going out and looking for birds and other things in nature. And my two year old grandson already knows more birds than most adults.

YOur son sounds like a truly charming and interesting little boy.
Why, thank you. We like him.

Are you in NH? We don't often get American posters replying to our trippies...

We did have a lovely time in Boston - everyone in the family is keen to return. Poot REALLY wants to go to Acadia National Park up in Maine - and I would like to try and do a driving tour of the region...

My goal is to visit all 50 states - a NE trip could knock three more out in one go!

I will make a note of the NH bookstore for future trips - we have a much smaller selection of children's books in England, especially for boys. It annoys my husband (but only a little ) when DS tells us that his favourite part of an American holiday was visiting the local bookstore!

I think so many boys (people generally, but boys especially) are really suffering from lack of exposure to nature and the wild - I'm glad to hear that the men of your family are outside enjoying the wonders of creation!

Stay tuned for the Washington, D.C. reports - there is a bookstore in D.C. where all the children's books are free...

Again, thanks for following and commenting. It makes it easier to go on, knowing that someone is out there waiting for the next installment.

oh, dear...too many emojis...again...
Old 30 Jul 16, 04:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

Wish I had known about the bookstore a week ago. I just came back from Baltimore.

I raised two boys and a girl but think little boys are special, especially kind, sensitive ones-they grow up into wonderful me. Acadia is wonderful and I love almost all of the Maine Coast. If you want to keep driving, we fell in love with Atlantic Canada.

If anyone asks me what the most important gift I gave my children, it was a love of reading. My DD also loved historical fiction but when I read the books she was reading, I felt they were too emotionally gut wrenching for me.
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List