General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 2 Jun 17, 12:32 PM  
Link to this Post
miss_bell
Imagineer

miss_bell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Mobile

The book store incident sounds scary, glad you were able to put it to one side and enjoy the game.
1990 Motel 1991 I Drive 1995 & 1998 Villa 2003 Lindfields 2005 & 2007 SL 2005 Bahama Bay 2006 NBH 2008 Liki tiki Resort 2009 & 2018 POFQ 2011 & 2016 Cheyenne 2012 OKW 2013 Coral Cay 2015 SSL 2015 SSR&BCR 2019 WL 2016 & 2022 CSR 2014 & 2023 CBR 2024 ASMU

miss_bell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 17, 03:00 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by miss_bell View Post
The book store incident sounds scary, glad you were able to put it to one side and enjoy the game.
It was scary. But baseball makes everything better.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 17, 06:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Who knew book shops could be so dangerous 😱 You did an amazing job in what must have been a really terrifying situation. Thankfully you were both able escape unscathed. I too am like you and would have thought about it backwards and forwards and I'm pleased you were able to speak with a policeman. It must have helped you to talk it through with an adult who was able to understand what you had been through.

Finishing the day with a baseball game must have really lifted your mood. Such a shame it wasn't the outcome you were after but I do find the atmosphere electric. What a treat for Poot to receive a certificate- it's brilliant the way they encourage the kids to be involved!

Good job on the marshalls shopping, that bag is adorable. 😊
Sparksy72 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 17, 10:26 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Sparksy72 View Post
Who knew book shops could be so dangerous 😱 You did an amazing job in what must have been a really terrifying situation. Thankfully you were both able escape unscathed. I too am like you and would have thought about it backwards and forwards and I'm pleased you were able to speak with a policeman. It must have helped you to talk it through with an adult who was able to understand what you had been through.

Finishing the day with a baseball game must have really lifted your mood. Such a shame it wasn't the outcome you were after but I do find the atmosphere electric. What a treat for Poot to receive a certificate- it's brilliant the way they encourage the kids to be involved!

Good job on the marshalls shopping, that bag is adorable. 😊

I didn't think that Poot was too bothered by the incident in the shop - but just yesterday he brought it up to me - so obviously it has stayed with him.

I worked in a bookshop when I was young - and we were held up at gunpoint one night when I was seventeen or eighteen. Maybe bookshops are unlucky for me - and I should stick to Amazon in future!

And I've thought often of that policeman. He had "old eyes". It's a messed up world where we pay soccer players millions - and policemen (and soldiers) so little.

The Orioles have done an amazing job there at Camden Yards. The statues, the welcome - it's just brilliant for kids. Now that I know what to expect, I'd totally go back to Baltimore - I still want to see Fort McHenry - and I'd like to catch another game at Oriole Park.

I DO wish that R.C. liked sports - it would be a lovely thing to share with him - but at least Poot enjoys them. At SOME POINT I want to do a baseball roadtrip - I've still only been to six parks!
Old 27 Jul 17, 01:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Originally Posted by GopherLass View Post
I didn't think that Poot was too bothered by the incident in the shop - but just yesterday he brought it up to me - so obviously it has stayed with him.

I worked in a bookshop when I was young - and we were held up at gunpoint one night when I was seventeen or eighteen. Maybe bookshops are unlucky for me - and I should stick to Amazon in future!

And I've thought often of that policeman. He had "old eyes". It's a messed up world where we pay soccer players millions - and policemen (and soldiers) so little.

The Orioles have done an amazing job there at Camden Yards. The statues, the welcome - it's just brilliant for kids. Now that I know what to expect, I'd totally go back to Baltimore - I still want to see Fort McHenry - and I'd like to catch another game at Oriole Park.

I DO wish that R.C. liked sports - it would be a lovely thing to share with him - but at least Poot enjoys them. At SOME POINT I want to do a baseball roadtrip - I've still only been to six parks!
I hate when the kids are exposed to 'real life'. I would make it my life's work to protect CJ from upset/hurt but unfortunately I would not be doing him any favours. The fact that you stayed cool and legged it, was a good example for Poot to follow.

I have only been to the Tropicana Field in Tampa (we saw the Red Sox play the Tampa Bay Rays) They had a pool with stingrays for the kids to feed and touch and so many food stalls it was overwhelming! I think a 'ball park' tour of America sounds like a fantastic idea, you are a lady after my own DH's heart
Sparksy72 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 17, 10:53 PM  
Link to this Post

I hate when the kids are exposed to 'real life'. I would make it my life's work to protect CJ from upset/hurt but unfortunately I would not be doing him any favours. The fact that you stayed cool and legged it, was a good example for Poot to follow.

I have only been to the Tropicana Field in Tampa (we saw the Red Sox play the Tampa Bay Rays) They had a pool with stingrays for the kids to feed and touch and so many food stalls it was overwhelming! I think a 'ball park' tour of America sounds like a fantastic idea, you are a lady after my own DH's heart

It's a tricky balance to get right, isn't it? On one hand - I want to lock Poot in the attic and keep him far away from harm. And on the other - I want to prepare him frankly for real life.

Because I grew up surrounded by sleaze (in the nightclub business), I want the exact opposite for him. But I also don't want to send him out into the world unprepared for what he'll see/confront there...

I've not been to the Trop - but that sounds right up Poot's alley! He wants most to go to Wrigley, but this year cheap tickets are as rare as hen's teeth. I AM sorry he'll never get to experience the weirdness of baseball in Montreal - best ar*e contest and all...

We arrive in New York at the end of baseball season - but we've both decided that being a neutral is no fun - and we're only going to do baseball games when we can see the Twins. Mauer Power!

SPEAKING OF BASEBALL, Poot asked me to pass on a message to you for Cooper. Has he read this book...

?

It's about a boy whose family runs a hotdog stand outside Fenway. Poot really liked it and said he thought Cooper might like to read a kids' book about Fenway before you guys go to a game there. It's very cheap on Amazon (I think like Ł1.50).
Old 28 Jul 17, 07:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
It's a tricky balance to get right, isn't it? On one hand - I want to lock Poot in the attic and keep him far away from harm. And on the other - I want to prepare him frankly for real life.

Because I grew up surrounded by sleaze (in the nightclub business), I want the exact opposite for him. But I also don't want to send him out into the world unprepared for what he'll see/confront there...

I've not been to the Trop - but that sounds right up Poot's alley! He wants most to go to Wrigley, but this year cheap tickets are as rare as hen's teeth. I AM sorry he'll never get to experience the weirdness of baseball in Montreal - best ar*e contest and all...

We arrive in New York at the end of baseball season - but we've both decided that being a neutral is no fun - and we're only going to do baseball games when we can see the Twins. Mauer Power!

SPEAKING OF BASEBALL, Poot asked me to pass on a message to you for Cooper. Has he read this book...

?

It's about a boy whose family runs a hotdog stand outside Fenway. Poot really liked it and said he thought Cooper might like to read a kids' book about Fenway before you guys go to a game there. It's very cheap on Amazon (I think like Ł1.50).
Please tell Poot thank you for the recommendation, it looks like it is right up Cooper's street! Poot is such a thoughtful boy

Finding the right balance is tricky, you want them to be worldly but still innocent I think travel is a great way to introduce them to other cultures, good, bad and otherwise

DH has the same baseball philosophy as you, we could have watched a game in NY but it wasn't against the Red Sox so he wasn't bothered! Baseball in Montreal sounds unique
Old 28 Jul 17, 10:25 AM  
Link to this Post

Please tell Poot thank you for the recommendation, it looks like it is right up Cooper's street! Poot is such a thoughtful boy

Finding the right balance is tricky, you want them to be worldly but still innocent I think travel is a great way to introduce them to other cultures, good, bad and otherwise

DH has the same baseball philosophy as you, we could have watched a game in NY but it wasn't against the Red Sox so he wasn't bothered! Baseball in Montreal sounds unique
He's a good lad - though sometimes it seems more like bossiness than thoughtfulness. "You should READ THIS BOOK!"

I don't want to post spoilers for my own trippie - but after a while even I got bored at the Nats game. I always try to get behind the home team and learn all the cheers and rituals - but they don't have much history - and OH it was cold that day. I was very happy we got to see the "Racing Presidents", though.

Montreal's a strange city - it's like nowhere else in North America. I'm interested to see how much its changed since my last visit (1999 or so)...but probably won't be visiting any nightclubs this go 'round - and DEFINITELY not the one I remember most from last time ("Le S*x Dome")!
Old 30 Jul 17, 07:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
He's a good lad - though sometimes it seems more like bossiness than thoughtfulness. "You should READ THIS BOOK!"

I don't want to post spoilers for my own trippie - but after a while even I got bored at the Nats game. I always try to get behind the home team and learn all the cheers and rituals - but they don't have much history - and OH it was cold that day. I was very happy we got to see the "Racing Presidents", though.

Montreal's a strange city - it's like nowhere else in North America. I'm interested to see how much its changed since my last visit (1999 or so)...but probably won't be visiting any nightclubs this go 'round - and DEFINITELY not the one I remember most from last time ("Le S*x Dome")!
April, you never cease to surprise me! Racy Nightclubs! I love it I spent 24 hours in Montreal about 20 years ago and all I did was eat bagels, poutine and try not to freeze to death (it was Christmas, so it was arctic but incredibly beautiful with all the super sparkly decorated trees) I am assuming the middle word wasn't Sox

Is it bossiness or confidence because sometimes they can be easily confused I love that he is so sure of his opinions, it's a good quality for an adult, even better for a Child!
Old 30 Jul 17, 10:32 PM  
Link to this Post

April, you never cease to surprise me! Racy Nightclubs! I love it I spent 24 hours in Montreal about 20 years ago and all I did was eat bagels, poutine and try not to freeze to death (it was Christmas, so it was arctic but incredibly beautiful with all the super sparkly decorated trees) I am assuming the middle word wasn't Sox

Is it bossiness or confidence because sometimes they can be easily confused I love that he is so sure of his opinions, it's a good quality for an adult, even better for a Child!
Hmm...years ago a lady at church christened Poot "Tiny American" - and she did not intend it as a compliment!

I was in Montreal with a girlfriend - and she really wanted to go dancing. The concierge at our hotel was young and dishy - so we asked him where we should go. And he suggested a club called "Le Dome". But when we got there...the sign outside read "Le S*x Dome". And inside the club there were cages hanging from the ceiling. Periodically, two people would enter each cage and...frolic. There were no sox involved.

You know I grew up in that business - but the "frolic cages" were a first for me. And I won't lie - I find watching strangers frolic...the opposite of sexy. I had a (much) better time at the Expos game!

It was too hot for poutine when we were there - but I think I would have enjoyed that more than the club, too!