Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 31 Aug 19, 03:23 PM  
Link to this Post
bettyboopin
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile Virgin or Delta? Help please

I have noticed that I can book a delta flight for less than a va flight with bags but I was just wondering what the difference is. I know they are both operated by virgin and it's the same plane but what are the differences. Thanks in advance
bettyboopin is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 19, 03:26 PM  
Link to this Post
pwcollins
slightly serious Dibber

As they are part of the same group, Delta own part of VA, then there will be no difference other than the cost. If it’s cheaper through Delta, go for it
Thomson Villa - April 2015
Virgin Select Villa - December 2016
pwcollins is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 19, 03:37 PM  
Link to this Post
bettyboopin
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

Do you know whether you can check in 24 hrs before on line with delta?
bettyboopin is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 19, 03:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldcoast
Excited about Disney

We flew out via Virgin and returned on a Delta plane. On our outbound Virgin flight it seemed OK that 2 case were over the 23kg limit as the 3 other case were well below and they were happy for us to combine our weight allowance, not so with Delta.

Virgin flight attendants seemed happier and more efficient. I don't know if this was because our Delta was a night flight or the the cabin crew spent more time in 1st class, but it was definitely harder to make a request when they weren't busy. Overall both were still good flights.
Goldcoast is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 19, 04:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Echo18
slightly serious Dibber

We've just done indirect with Delta on the way out and virgin on the way home. I would always pick Delta now given the choice if they were the same price or less - more leg room, more frequent drinks service, more/newer films. Virgin seem to have a loyal following but having flown them twice this year I don't understand what differentiates them from others for economy class travel and why they command such loyalty. The in flight entertainment on the 1 hour Tampa to Atlanta Delta flight and the plane itself was better than the Atlanta to Heathrow Virgin flight.

But ultimately both airlines are fine so it would just come down to price for me.

Edited at 04:01 PM.
Echo18 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 19, 08:25 PM  
Link to this Post

We flew indirect Virgin/Delta code share in July, returned Aug this year.

LHR-JFK was Virgin JFK-Tampa was Delta. Much more seat space on Delta but was a different plane (3-3 seats) to Virgin (2-4-2). Everything seemed cleaner and was on time (even early departure) with Delta. Virgin plane arrived late into LHR returning from USA and wasn't cleaned properly. Food on Virgin was ok, nothing special, didn't eat on Delta was just drinks service.

I would pick Virgin/Delta code share again, we flew into Atlanta coming home and loved the airport. Overall happy with the flights - cost £1,200 for 2A+1T+1C and paid extra £300 to upgrade car to SUV. Bargain we thought for start of school summer hols.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 19, 08:29 PM  
Link to this Post

Forgot to say if you do Delta/Virgin code share you check in/bagdrop at airport with the plane doing the 1st flight. LHR to JFK was Virgin so checked in with them online and coming home 1st flight was Delta so checked in with them. You have booking references for both Delta and Virgin if code share.

Just one note. We booked through Expedia and there was confusion with seat res and 23kg bag in hold. We booked basic fare but Expedia showed bags included but failed to honour this. We paid £45 per bag out to USA (this isn't per flight so it covers both outward flights) and $56 back per bag = £46 in exchange rate in Aug so just be aware.

Edited at 08:32 PM.
Old 31 Aug 19, 08:31 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by bettyboopin View Post
Do you know whether you can check in 24 hrs before on line with delta?
Yes.
Old 31 Aug 19, 08:43 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Virgin Atl are a small airline (45 or so aircraft) with the following owners.
Delta 49%
Air France/KLM 31%
Virgin holdings 20%

This is handy to know when researching to book. I generally find looking at the Virgin Atl site a wasted effort as the prices are too high.
3 of my last 4 trips to the USA have however involved Virgin Atl Aircraft.. that I booked through Delta and in so doing, saved a rather large amount of money. Others have also done well in recent months through Air France.

If you are looking to see wider Florida, then looking at Delta can result in your flying long haul on a Virgin Atl Aircraft into, say Atlanta and then flying a further, shorter leg into somewhere else... such as Pensacola or Daytona Beach in our case. It also opens up many locations in the rest of the USA through Deltas 890 aircraft fleet.

Edited at 08:44 PM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 19, 08:39 AM  
Link to this Post
borntoshop
Imagineer

Mobile

We've flown with VH on a Delta flight to and from Boston and couldn't fault the service.
Nov/Dec 03-Orlando Villa/DLP Sept 04-Greece Nov/Dec 05-Orlando Villa 2007-New Hampshire ski-ing Orlando BWL & Villa 25 Dec 08 Florida New York 2010 New Hampshire 2011 New Hampshire 2012 Florida 2013 North Conway Christmas 2014
borntoshop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List