Notices
Weddings and Honeymoons DIBBers wedding and honeymoon planning and chat.

Old 10 Jun 20, 09:14 AM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Originally Posted by Love*my*hols View Post
I guess it comes down to location ,or big wedding at home with a larger number of guests.Does she realise she probably won't have both ,but could maybe have a party later?
She is keen to have the wedding in Cyprus because it is a special place to them.

I think she knows they can't have both although that doesn't stop her hoping!
Old 10 Jun 20, 09:18 AM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Originally Posted by munmun View Post
Our daughter got married in the Caribbean, in a fantastic 40 room five star hotel on the beach. There were about 30 people there, our close family stayed in the hotel, their friends stayed in less expensive hotels just along the beach but spent most of the days with us.

It was the most fantastic time, enjoyed by all, we had beach fireworks in the evening organised and paid for by us but enjoyed by the other people in the hotel.

I new my daughter would never have the traditional wedding, they had what she wanted, the important people were there.
We were at an all inclusive carribean resort in 2002 and couples where getting married there during our stay. It seemed to be production line stuff but I do get the appeal of it (and my SD got to be in the photos because there weren't many in the wedding party.
Old 10 Jun 20, 09:24 AM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Originally Posted by Disney_time View Post
Yes, we've been part of planning a wedding abroad, but DDIL's parents live there so they did the planning.

It was difficult for the young couple as they could only visit the venue twice, and in between the wedding planner quit, cue floods of tears. There were other difficulties too such as not meeting the minister till the day before. Fortunately there was no problem with needing to be resident a few days before or anything.

There were things they had to get their head round, such as none of their grandparents could be there, and only a few relatives could afford to make the trip. They did however have lots of their young friends there. (Where on earth do young folks get their disposable income? In my day... ) Anyway this made for a very energetic, youthful crowd, and was a great compliment to the young couple that their friends wanted to be there.

I'd make your DD aware of the hard facts. For example, like it or not, the effect coronavirus will have in the short and long term on travel and people's confidence to travel. Also, the fact that people (including family) might not be able to afford to travel, or that the wedding will be limited to a certain number. Possibly they could have more guests if the wedding was here? Also, not knowing what the relationship is like between you and your ex, there might be stuff there that your DD should realise would be harder for you all to be abroad for a week than a one day event here.

Good luck.
I have already had the conversation about who can make it to the wedding with her but she has her heart set on the cyprus wedding. I really don't want to crash her dream but I'm not convinced she has thought the practicalities through for the guests.
Old 10 Jun 20, 09:27 AM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Originally Posted by snowbelle View Post
I would sit down with her and her fiancé and discuss everything you have said here .
I got married overseas but we were older and we went by ourselves and had the honeymoon included, weddings no matter where you have them are expensive I’ve been to weddings costing £30k plus .
At the present time of uncertainty I wouldn’t begin to start such an ambitious plan especially if the venue isn’t fully constructed, they could go bust And she can’t exactly fly out and scope it out .
The two very expensive weddings I went to were a nice day but for both couples not an easy task to pay off ( my SiL is a single mum and couldn’t keep up with my nephews new wife’s demands so her parents paid the majority of the cost ) It’s time for your DD to have a long hard think about the cost and the logistics.
I err more on the side of put it towards a house and have a small wedding but I’m a bit older now !
I have discussed this at length with everyone including my EX. Just to be cealr if Cyprus is what she wants and it happens then myself and Caj will be there to share in their celebrations.

It's just sad that her one remaining grandparent won't be adble to make it due to health issues.
Old 10 Jun 20, 09:29 AM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Originally Posted by disney332 View Post
I have total respect for you and i hope your daughter has the best wedding day ever, lovely news...

If it were my DD, i would voice my reservations, but if after due consideration this is what she wants, i would go full steam ahead.

I suppose a small blessing when you return could help appease some of those unable to attend and square the circle?

Disney332
Many thanks. A small blessing upon return is certainly one option being considered.
Old 10 Jun 20, 09:31 AM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Originally Posted by Sandra & co View Post
Watch Sun, Sea and Bride to Be on All 4, I’m addicted to watching it. It’s about weddings in Cyprus and will give you a great insight. The weddings look amazing, they cater for big and small weddings. The planners do a brilliant job and you can get married on Yacht with fireworks or in a venue overlooking the sea or on the beach.
That could be a good call - I'lm off to search out that programe!
Old 10 Jun 20, 09:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by BerkshireBugsy View Post
That could be a good call - I'lm off to search out that programe!
It’s brilliant, some weddings are between 10 and 15 thousand and one person did it on a budget for £2,000. I got married in St Lucia nearly 28 years ago and everything was arranged for us. Cyprus is beautiful, I’ve had 4 lovely holidays there
Old 19 Jun 20, 07:45 AM  
Link to this Post
florida girl
Imagineer

florida girl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
My DD was due to get married in Greece in October now postponed until 2021. The cost of a basic wedding was quite reasonable but with the option to have it as lavish (at a cost ) as you like and everything’s arranged for you. Some of the guests were staying outside the hotel resort. We were surprised DD chose this option but they just wanted a small intimate Wedding with close family and friends.
florida girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 20, 08:02 AM  
Link to this Post
GoldenAvalanche
Imagineer

Mobile

Honestly, her age is the biggest red flag and I say that as someone who has been happily married from the age of 23.

Secondly, who’s paying for it? If they are then let them crack on, they will make mistakes but their mistakes to learn from. If you’re paying then I think it’s only fair you are able to express concerns and manage expectations of her “wants”.
GoldenAvalanche is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 20, 08:06 AM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Mobile

Originally Posted by GoldenAvalanche View Post
Honestly, her age is the biggest red flag and I say that as someone who has been happily married from the age of 23.

Secondly, who’s paying for it? If they are then let them crack on, they will make mistakes but their mistakes to learn from. If you’re paying then I think it’s only fair you are able to express concerns and manage expectations of her “wants”.
They are paying for most of it - i completely agree its their choice and my DW and I will be there no matter where it is.

My ex is changing her mind about whever she is going or not. My daughter is desperate to have her there which I completely understand.