Notices

Old 4 Aug 20, 07:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Switzerland Summer 2020 - Day 2 - Andermatt and Goscheneralpsee

As expected we woke up to a cloudy and rainy day. The forecast has been saying rain for the first two days for ages so we weren't surprised.

For breakfast we had ready made scotch pancakes and madeleines - not the most healthy but all we had in.

The aim of the morning was to get some shopping in.

We decided to drive down to Andermatt - about a 15m journey as it looked a bit bigger. We parked up and had to go and get some Swiss Francs out of the cash machine and then buy some croissants so we had change for the car park!

Before hitting the supermarket we had a walk round! It was a very picturesque town with cobbled streets.

And typically Germanic looking houses!

And the still looking freezing river!

We walked back to the supermarket.

J stayed outside with June while the rest of us went in. Prices are so very expensive here. It cost 140 euros - and that only included 4 bottles of beer and no meat. Some items were 3 times the prices back home!

We stopped off on the way home to try and see a waterfall. However I think we were too low.

Still very pretty though.

Back home with starving children I made (put in oven) fish fingers and oven chips which we had with peas.

F made a banana cake which they had with ice cream.

We played games for an hour after - Uno Ultra (I was useless - as I'm always am with this particular game). Then Boogle - I got this off amazon just last week. It is a word game (much to the kids disgust I got the English version rather than the French one so J and I have an advantage ) At the end of 4 rounds I was in the lead

We then headed out to Goschenalpsee - a man made lake in the mountains (at about 1750m of altitude)

It was a pretty scary drive up - the road was very narrow and we met a bus coming down. J didn't like the sheer drops on one side either.

We made it and this was the view. It was still raining so we got all our stuff on - probably needed gloves too but only F had those! There were not many people around though in normal times I expect it would be packed!

The dam was built in the mid 1950s.

We walked across and then up.

Some of the views. There were lots of waterfalls around.

June loved her raincoat!

And what looked like bluebells but may be something else!

It really was a lovely place - and the rain pretty much stopped!

I walked back along the dam while the others went the long and windy route. Back at the car O meet up with me and told me that J, F and June were running down to the campsite. We drive down (thankfully not meeting with anyone!) and they arrived about 2 minutes later.

We got back home about 5.30pm after a stop at the coop for some chocolate. F started playing the piano and we all just chilled out in the lounge.

F then made some yogurt lemon muffins - thankfully the kitchen is well stocked!

Dinner was a veggie pasta dish which seemed to go down well - not that they would dare to complain!

The evening ended with some card games (I seemed to lose a lot!) and more boggle (I am good at this! )

There was lots of laughter which was lovely!

I forgot to say that the wifi started working sharing in the morning so I cancelled the appointment! At least O can do his university course without trying to hotspot from our phones!

We were all tired after the fresh air so went to bed around 10pm!

Edited at 01:11 PM.
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 20, 07:50 AM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Love the mountains!

When you said you got your stuff on, I thought you meant to go swimming! Brrrrr!
caj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 20, 08:11 AM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by Melbatb - 4 Aug 20 8:11 AM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 20, 08:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Borderbairn
Imagineer

Mobile

Great that you made the most of the day despite the rain. Loving the chalets, they look just like gingerbread houses 🏡

Southern Dunes 2006 & 2007 Highlands Reserve & Hard Rock Hotel May & Sep 2008 The Sanctuary West Haven 2009 Freedom of the Seas & Doubletree Resort 2010 Highlands Reserve May 2012 Windsor Hills 2014 New York 2016
Borderbairn is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 20, 08:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Stardust5
Imagineer

Shame about the weather but at least you made the most of the day. Love June in her little rain coat, she looked so cute!
Stardust5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 20, 08:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Stunning photos - looks beautiful. Thanks for sharing
Moorlandman is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 20, 09:24 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Beautiful views even with the rain, what a stunning location. Shocking prices at the supermarket though, although I can imagine eating out would be even more expensive

Your Airbnb looks really good, a nice base to relax and play some board games and have family time 💕 Pleased the WiFi started to work again especially for your son to get his uni work done. Love June’s raincoat, so cute 💕

Edited at 10:13 AM.
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 20, 05:08 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Such a gorgeous setting but not so good about the food prices! The board games sound fun
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 20, 09:17 PM  
Link to this Post
dubletrub
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
Mobile

What a great day, don’t think I would like driving those roads
dubletrub is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 20, 02:57 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Looks such a pretty town but eeesh that’s an expensive shop
June looks adorable in her coat .. looks a tad cold for a summer holiday !
What a lovely evening with homemade dinner and games. Good fun.
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List