Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 14 Nov 20, 09:10 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Cosmopolitan Vegas - Booked But Worrying Reviews

Think I may change.

Lots of reviews recently saying dodgy people frequenting the hotel, loud music blasting out, fights, shooting mentioned, plenty of weed all over. Now have to be ‘wanded’ for weapons going in, people paying cash at front desk.

Has really put me off.

Views?
Old 14 Nov 20, 09:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

I was looking forward to trying the Cosmo this year and said we'd book again for next year when we had to cancel. I'm not so keen now but have read that the Strip in general was attracting more unsavoury characters during the pandemic with fights breaking out on the street etc.

Edited at 09:38 PM.
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 20, 10:09 PM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

Can I just ask where you obtained this information? I am a member of several Vegas forums and have heard, on occasion about disturbances, but thought this had settled down now. Have not heard of people being wanded though. It that everyone going into Cosmo? Not heard of people paying cash as you usually need a cc guarantee and a hold on your cc for damages etc until you leave. I love the Cosmo and it is a beautiful hotel, I know things are not quite "normal" at the moment due to Covid, but not heard of some of the things you said. Hope these are isolated incidents.

Edit:

Just asked on a forum I use. Apparently Cosmo is only having registered guests at weekends. You have to show key and be wanded. Only on weekends and just a temporary measure. Only at certain entrances to Cosmo and only between, 6pm to 6am. Not daytimes. When is it you are going? My friend has been 3 times in the last 5 months and said no difference and felt totally safe. I love Cosmo.
Hope it reasures you a bit. I can ask any questions you may have. She may have the answers.

Edited at 11:13 PM.
JoS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 20, 10:35 PM  
Link to this Post
act1980
VIP Dibber

I stayed here a couple of years ago and it was amazing. Went back and stayed at the Aria which was even better, the bathroom was really cool and there was an iPad thing that controlled all the curtains etc. Maybe try that one instead 👍🏼
Old 14 Nov 20, 10:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandraoh40
VIP Dibber

My hairdresser stayed there a couple of years ago and said they had seen some sort of violence at one of the lift areas. I really can’t remember the details but i know she was quite shocked by it and hadn’t expected it.
We have been numerous times, not stayed here, and never seen any fighting or any bother. I have to say though, and I know there was another thread about this, I have smelled weed when staying in the Palazzo. I was there with my mum and the smell was very strong in the lifts at times. We were there at the same weekend as one of the huge boxing fights with Floyd Mayweather and the place was hoaching with young people. However there was no bother at all that we seen. And thank goodness my mum doesn’t know what it smells like so she was none the wiser.
Sandraoh40 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 20, 11:28 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by JoS View Post
Can I just ask where you obtained this information? I am a member of several Vegas forums and have heard, on occasion about disturbances, but thought this had settled down now. Have not heard of people being wanded though. It that everyone going into Cosmo? Not heard of people paying cash as you usually need a cc guarantee and a hold on your cc for damages etc until you leave. I love the Cosmo and it is a beautiful hotel, I know things are not quite "normal" at the moment due to Covid, but not heard of some of the things you said. Hope these are isolated incidents.

Edit:

Just asked on a forum I use. Apparently Cosmo is only having registered guests at weekends. You have to show key and be wanded. Only on weekends and just a temporary measure. Only at certain entrances to Cosmo and only between, 6pm to 6am. Not daytimes. When is it you are going? My friend has been 3 times in the last 5 months and said no difference and felt totally safe. I love Cosmo.
Hope it reasures you a bit. I can ask any questions you may have. She may have the answers.
Thanks v much- it’s on many of the latest Tripadvisor reviews. Given your intel looks like there’s some truth in it. It makes me really nervous they are wanding people for weapons walking into a 5 star hotel.🙁

I’m not a great fan of Vegas (preferred it before they really built it up) but kids want to go and my main motivation is a day trip to South Rim.

We like it quiet in the room and not rough. I’m surprised they haven’t kept a better control on it. Then again there’s always been unsavoury characters knocking about Vegas.

Will cancel it and look for a quieter more family friendly alternative. Aria was another possibility.

We are hopefully there August- doing New Orleans, flying to Vegas, few nights then Palm Sorings, then hopefully Grand Californian, then we’ve booked a newly built hotel in Burbank. Been to all these places many years ago but kids haven’t. Been to Vegas a couple of times. First time was about 94-95 I think. They were building Mandalay Bay, had just started land clearance for Venetian. When we went back about 5 years after it had changed a lot.

Edited at 11:32 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 20, 11:41 PM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Thanks v much- it’s on many of the latest Tripadvisor reviews. Given your intel looks like there’s some truth in it. It makes me really nervous they are wanding people for weapons walking into a 5 star hotel.🙁

I’m not a great fan of Vegas (preferred it before they really built it up) but kids want to go and my main motivation is a day trip to South Rim.

We like it quiet in the room and not rough. I’m surprised they haven’t kept a better control on it. Then again there’s always been unsavoury characters knocking about Vegas.

Will cancel it and look for a quieter more family friendly

alternative. Aria was another possibility.

We are hopefully there August- doing New Orleans, flying to Vegas, few nights then Palm Sorings, then hopefully Grand Californian, then we’ve booked a newly built hotel in Burbank.
I think it’s more that Cosmo are protecting guests... not that it is more likely to have trouble. Aria is lovely or 2 of my very favourites Wynn, or Venetian. Had loads of replies to my post about Cosmo and everyone saying it’s just as normal . I would not hesitate to stay there. One thing I will never ever forget was my first glimpse of the south rim at GC. I was honestly speechless for a minute. It’s just so beautiful. Never forget the deer in the trees by our room, and the moose trotting past our car. Hope your trip goes as planned. By August hopefully things will have returned to some type of normality, We are booked for Vegas end of Jan with LA in the middle. Keeping my fingers crossed otherwise it’s some where in Canada.
JoS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 20, 12:10 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by JoS View Post
I think it’s more that Cosmo are protecting guests... not that it is more likely to have trouble. Aria is lovely or 2 of my very favourites Wynn, or Venetian. Had loads of replies to my post about Cosmo and everyone saying it’s just as normal . I would not hesitate to stay there. One thing I will never ever forget was my first glimpse of the south rim at GC. I was honestly speechless for a minute. It’s just so beautiful. Never forget the deer in the trees by our room, and the moose trotting past our car. Hope your trip goes as planned. By August hopefully things will have returned to some type of normality, We are booked for Vegas end of Jan with LA in the middle. Keeping my fingers crossed otherwise it’s some where in Canada.
Yes when you walk up to that South Rim it’s amazing. It was a long time ago since I was there and want the kids to see it.
Thanks for your help.
Old 15 Nov 20, 12:45 AM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

Yes when you walk up to that South Rim it’s amazing. It was a long time ago since I was there and want the kids to see it.
Thanks for your help.
Hope your kids appreciate and love it. Apparently Cosmo are only checking and wanding if there are large numbers going in. It’s just not routine. Stay safe.
Old 15 Nov 20, 09:08 AM  
Link to this Post
eaglesrest
Apprentice Imagineer

Thanks for your help.
How are you getting to the South Rim? We contemplated driving but it's about an 8-9 round trip. Helicopter would be good but we have some nervous flyers who wouldn't do it.

The compromise is a drive to the West Rim (via Hoover dam), which we haven't done before. I doubt it will be as good as the South Rim, but the kids haven't seen either before, so won't know what they are missing

Also considering a day-trip to Zion.

We bought into Cosmo when it was initially intended as a condo-hotel pre credit crunch. Shame they are having to wand people, would put me off too, unless most hotels are doing it? We've booked an airbnb at the MGM Signature. 1 bedroom high-floor apartment for around £200 per night in August. It's a little off-strip so should be quieter, though it does have a moving walkway to the strip (!). Also has access to all MGM facilities including free valet and the lazy river.

Edited at 09:11 AM.
eaglesrest is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List