Go Back   theDIBB > Walt Disney World and Other Florida Vacation Planning > Accommodation
Forgotten Password?
Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info
Florida Tix
Unread 18 May 19, 02:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Persnicketty
Serious Dibber

Persnicketty's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Budmiester View Post
Hi Dibbers,
We are heading off to Florida next year and as we will be in tow with 4 kids the group have decided to break our outgoing flight at Gatwick and stay overnight. I have stayed at the Sofitel in the North Terminal previously and enjoyed it but as we flying BA we will be leaving from the South Terminal so are considering using the Bloc hotel, on TA it's getting reasonable reviews but has anyone used it with a young family?

Many Thanks
Budmiester
We used the Bloc for day rooms (at a very decent price) and they were excellent. All we wanted was a kip and some comfort for a few hours.

The only complication we had was that larger rooms were not available for day use and that meant our 4 adults and 2 children were spread over 3 rooms. Still worth it even then.

However you might want to check maximum occupancy per family room if you have 4 children
Persnicketty is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
The Ears Ache begins again in
Unread 18 May 19, 06:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Taz123
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

Mobile

The Bloc and Sofitel are very different grade of hotel. That said, the Bloc is great. I live 5 minutes from Gatwick and work at the airport, but my sister who lives abroad and husband stayed with their 2 kids aged 6 and 8.

They paid a little extra for a runway view and they loved it. 7 of us spent the evening in their room watching the planes land, all piled on the bed! 4 years on my niece and nephew still ask when they can go back to the party bed hotel!
Taz123 is offline Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
WDW visit #9 - first time at BC
Unread 18 May 19, 06:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Claudette
Imagineer

Claudette's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
It really doesn't matter which terminal you are flying from - they are a few minutes apart on the shuttle. That shouldn't influence which hotel you choose.

The Sofitel is lovely, as you probably know what you've said and is always my first choice. Bloc does look intriguing, due to the runway views, and I'd be tempted to give it a go for that reason.
Agree with this. I thought I would stop using Sofitel when BA changed terminals, but it is literally three minutes away, so we stick to Sofitel.
Claudette is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Disney 2019 v 2
Unread 18 May 19, 08:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Budmiester
I want to go now!

Originally Posted by Persnicketty View Post
We used the Bloc for day rooms (at a very decent price) and they were excellent. All we wanted was a kip and some comfort for a few hours.

The only complication we had was that larger rooms were not available for day use and that meant our 4 adults and 2 children were spread over 3 rooms. Still worth it even then.

However you might want to check maximum occupancy per family room if you have 4 children
Hi Persnicketty, thankfully the 4 kids are not ours LOL they are two sets of brothers so they will be split up with their mums and dads. When they get together its been likened to herding cats
Budmiester is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 18 May 19, 09:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Ryles
Imagineer

Mobile

Loved the bloc. We stayed last year. The shower is amazing! Yes the room is small (very) but it was very cozy. I missed having tea and coffee making facilities though. But would book it again if flying from Gatwick.
Been to Florida several times throughout the 80's,90's,1999 to see in the millenium,back in Oct 2009 to spread my dads ashes & first time on our own as a family in March 2012. Going back in May 2013 - 1 week Orlando and 1 week St Pete beach. To say I'm excited is an understatement!
Ryles is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
August 2019 again!
Unread 18 May 19, 10:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney_time
Imagineer

Disney_time's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
I liked it for the (at least) half hour extra in bed! We had two nights and found the wet room a bit of a faff. I had read this before, so we took an 80p squeegee from Ikea with us and this really helped keep things dry.

We also liked that the bed was really long - maybe 7 feet. It meant that DH could crawl out the bottom of the bed without disturbing me.
Disney_time is a DIBBcast Disney Podcast Fan
Unread 19 May 19, 12:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

Just used bloc as a day room between Florida and Spain flights. Loved it great location clean and comfortable and cheap. What's not to like
US Rent A Car