Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 19 May 19, 08:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Disney Nanny
Imagineer

Have read Dixonsontour report

About staying at universal and have picked up a couple of tips re eating and not having to spend too much money.

But I won't have a car so am really stuck in the parks.

What is the best way to buy snacks etc? I will be on a tight budget so it will be the quick service meals but don't know which?

Solo traveller so don't have to take into account any food allergies etc
Disney Nanny is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 19, 09:31 AM  
Link to this Post

You could do an online shop and have it delivered to you, e.g. Garden Grocer. I have never got round to doing this yet but you could get all your water and other drinks, cereal and milk for breakfasts etc.

I am not sure what a QS meal is in Universal, does it just mean one of the less fancy restaurants?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 19, 09:31 AM  
Link to this Post
katy341
Imagineer

Mobile

Could u not uber once and go to Walmart to stock up on snacks? You will have a fridge in your room and it really will save u money! Plus you get a good discount on your 1st uber!
katy341 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 19, 10:35 AM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I usually pack some cereal & snacks in the suitcase mainly for the kids. I don’t feel like I eat the same way when I’m out there, I probably snack more at home! If you are going to buy a few of the meal cards I would read Orlando Informer, they have some good ideas of places to eat and how to use the cards wisely. Where are you staying? We ate quite a lot in Cabana Bay and used their refillable drink. We also had the Universal refillable mug and our Butterbeer cup. If we are not in the parks for long I’m more likely to pay for the 99c refill rather than paying to activate the cup for the day. Some of the places we eat on a budget. Citywalk-Moe’s, Panda Express, Bread Box, Burger King. US-Jacket potatoes outside HP, Louie’s pizza. IOA-3 broomsticks, Thunder Falls. I would suggest looking at the menus of where you fancy eating as the prices may not be that bad compared to quick service style food at Universal.
OB1LukeLucas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 19, 11:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Disney Nanny
Imagineer

Originally Posted by OB1LukeLucas View Post
I usually pack some cereal & snacks in the suitcase mainly for the kids. I don’t feel like I eat the same way when I’m out there, I probably snack more at home! If you are going to buy a few of the meal cards I would read Orlando Informer, they have some good ideas of places to eat and how to use the cards wisely. Where are you staying? We ate quite a lot in Cabana Bay and used their refillable drink. We also had the Universal refillable mug and our Butterbeer cup. If we are not in the parks for long I’m more likely to pay for the 99c refill rather than paying to activate the cup for the day. Some of the places we eat on a budget. Citywalk-Moe’s, Panda Express, Bread Box, Burger King. US-Jacket potatoes outside HP, Louie’s pizza. IOA-3 broomsticks, Thunder Falls. I would suggest looking at the menus of where you fancy eating as the prices may not be that bad compared to quick service style food at Universal.
I'm at Sapphire Falls, thank you for the recs
Disney Nanny is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 19, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Zomax25
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Definitely take snacks with you. I travel with small people who often need snacks at 3 am on the first day so I have always travelled with things like cereal bars etc. and then coming home I have space in my luggage too!
Zomax25 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 19, 04:05 PM  
Link to this Post
offtoseemickey
Imagineer

offtoseemickey's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 8

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 25
We just spent 10 nights at Cabana Bay and barely used our car (it was a big waste of money for us really).

We bring snacks from home;
mini bags of haribo
bags of sweets from the supermarket, the little ones that are like 4 for £1 (laces, shrimp, jelly beans etc)
We get one mini pot of pringles and buy a couple of full tubes and top the mini tube up as needed
Mints / chewing gum
Cereal bars

We tend to skip breakfast, have a little snack around 10, then early lunch around 11, then dinner in the evening. If we were having a later start then we might get a Voodoo Donut for ‘breakfast’, they are super reasonable.

For drinks, I mainly just have tap water; it keeps me hydrated best. And it really keeps meal prices down.

For meals, check menus online, a lot of sit down places, I think, are better value than a QS lunch. Mythos you get free bread, the food is brilliant, it’s it’s super reasonable (if you order the right things!).

For some super cheap meals, we like Panda Express & Breadbox. You could walk across to Aventura and eat from the food court there, it looks really reasonable & is so close to Sapphire Falls.

If you are eating QS, don’t discredit kids meals, hold back and see what food people are walking away with, you might find they are big enough for you.

Sticking to a budget Oct ‘18 Universal & off-site dining report
offtoseemickey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 19, 05:13 PM  
Link to this Post
scoobydooby
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Uber is cheap and efficient. I’d take a trip to a supermarket. There are some very close to Universal property.
Old 20 May 19, 07:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Disney Nanny
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
You could do an online shop and have it delivered to you, e.g. Garden Grocer. I have never got round to doing this yet but you could get all your water and other drinks, cereal and milk for breakfasts etc.

I am not sure what a QS meal is in Universal, does it just mean one of the less fancy restaurants?
Garden Grocer only deliver to Disney resorts
Old 20 May 19, 07:30 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Disney Nanny View Post
Garden Grocer only deliver to Disney resorts
Oh really, I did find another one once that I am sure went to Universal, I will see if I can find it again.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List